The Politics Thread | Page 447 | Vital Football

The Politics Thread

"As at February 2011, 16.6% of working age UK nationals were claiming a DWP working age benefit compared to 6.6% of working age non-UK nationals (at the time they first registered for a National Insurance Number)."

People born here are 2.5 times more likely to claim benefits.

"As at February 2011, 16.6% of working age UK nationals were claiming a DWP working age benefit compared to 6.6% of working age non-UK nationals (at the time they first registered for a National Insurance Number)."

Great. Some UK nationals are genuine. Hard times and unfortunate situations. But we are also a country full of lazy assed tramps who can't be bothered to make a life for themselves and just want to gorge on dominoes, McDonald's and sit in front of a TV all day. I'm not denying that.

And how many non UK nationals are there in the country?
6.6% of 67million. That's a very high percentage of them? Correct?

but you listen to the press and it's 100% young male
You are splitting hairs there Mike, 90%-100%, in the grand scheme of things there's no difference really.
I get that people are unhappy with their lot where they are born but if you are saying that anyone can come and claim asylum without restrictions that's an aweful lot of people that we would have to accommodate. According to the government's own figures the numbers coming are going up and the returns are down year on year. France has more than twice the land mass of England with roughly the same population, yet we are supposed to do their immigration job for them, sorting out illegal immigration.
The current treaties and international accords were written for a time long gone, and need modernising.
European countries cannot be expected to take in all the people that want to come, without social strife ensuing. Government link below if you have a spare day to trawl through them .
www.gov.uk
https://www.gov.uk › statistics › h...
How many people are detained or returned? - GOV.UK
About the statistics — 12,967 people entered detention in year ending March 2021, 44% fewer than the

I think it's probably the hand outs they will receive.
Can't be for the jobs can it? Are any of them legally getting jobs?
They are welcome to the shit show of a country anyway.

Col the hand outs as you call them in Germany and France are far higher than here.

There is a very simple solution to this, which is set up an office in Calais to process them all. This has been suggested however the government don't want a simpler cheaper solution has its not divisory enough.

Setting up the office in Calais would stop the people traffickers too. Problem is if the government were to implement it there would be no horror and wrath for people to be outraged at.

As for this being a shitshow of a country! Yes it is. I agree with that and that is down to being a populist government which are turning fascist

Col the hand outs as you call them in Germany and France are far higher than here.
That being the case kef, why do French politicians and government figures keep telling us that the Channel situation is purely down to our overly generous benefits system.
I believe in France at the end of one year you are on your own, must find your own accomodation and a job. Will see if I can find a link.

That being the case kef, why do French politicians and government figures keep telling us that the Channel situation is purely down to our overly generous benefits system.
I believe in France at the end of one year you are on your own, must find your own accomodation and a job. Will see if I can find a link.

If migrant visas were available, these people could use the £2k they are paying people smugglers to set themselves up in Britain and get a job. People on migrant visas wouldn't be entitled to benefits.

The current system is madness, using human misery for political theatre.

https://news.sky.com/story/fifth-co...te-raised-to-1-25-by-bank-of-england-12634875

So interest rates going up with more raises soon.
So on top of household bills, petrol and food your mortgage repayments, loans and credit cards will cost more.
How do they expect people to live?
I don't understand.

They are trying to suppress inflation by raising interest rates. There is some talk of the Fed (US central bank sort of) raising the base rate to 8%. That would mean mortgages of 10% and a severe housing crash.

The problem is that the inflation is coming from the lack of migrant workers entering the labour market and the effects of the war in Ukraine on oil/gas and food prices. Crashing the housing market and bankrupting businesses with high levels of debt won't change the oil or food price inflation.

Like lemmings, the Bank of England will follow the Fed over the cliff.

It remains to be seen if Asian central banks will join the plunge. I sincerely hope not but there will be pressure from the outflow of capital.

They are trying to suppress inflation by raising interest rates. There is some talk of the Fed (US central bank sort of) raising the base rate to 8%. That would mean mortgages of 10% and a severe housing crash.

The problem is that the inflation is coming from the lack of migrant workers entering the labour market and the effects of the war in Ukraine on oil/gas and food prices. Crashing the housing market and bankrupting businesses with high levels of debt won't change the oil or food price inflation.

Like lemmings, the Bank of England will follow the Fed over the cliff.

It remains to be seen if Asian central banks will join the plunge. I sincerely hope not but there will be pressure from the outflow of capital.
I called this before on here using basic economic theory, rate rises by the BoE are not justified given the source of the inflation we’re seeing. Hang onto your seatbelts.

So from what I have just read....

They raise the rates to get people to stop borrowing and save money.

But it's also on the news today 50% of people are borrowing just to stay afloat with their bills.

I don't understand this at all.