The Politics Thread | Page 333 | Vital Football

The Politics Thread

So fed up that we don't have a credible opposition.

Andy Burnham would probably be strong enough to lead this lot and get shot of the idiotic fringe, but sadly Starmer isn't.

I don't think Burnham would fair that much better in terms of getting rid of Momentum, but being slightly more militant in style, he'd probably placate them a little more or a bit more easily.

I watched some of Starmers speech earlier. He just has not got it. I think while he is leader the Tories will stick with Johnson. A strong oppo leader and they would ditch him. I think Burnham is a good shout but he is not an MP and therefore he cant become leader. He would have to wait for a by- election and hope that he wins it and then resign as Mayor of Manchester. So not a short term answer but I cant think of anybody else who could challenge them. As you say mike while the left have such a grip on the party just cant see where they go. At least Burnham would embarress Johnson in Parliament.

Burnham is a fucking cock womble IMO. Starmer just needs to shift the party closer to the centre and purge the lunatics, this will set it up nicely for the next leader.

Burnham would/could be tempted back, he is more the style that might take on the Tories, but he has said he intends to see out his term as Mayor Of Manchester, and by that time, his time might have passed Labour wise.

We need a middle ground party, but no one will be able to achieve one as there isn't the funding there, and too much self interest (see the implosion of the Liberals and indeed, New Labour)

At least Burnham would embarress Johnson in Parliament.

I actually think this is where Starmer does perform, however the average Joe doesn’t watch PMQ’s and only if it were something headline worthy, would not notice it on the news.

Whilst I like Starmer for his intelligence and integrity, he is a deputy PM at best from what I can see as he doesn’t seem to have much of a vision nor is he able to inspire the party members to get any traction or momentum.

What doe's everyone think of this?

Kind of agree with it to a degree but it might fuck up the situation more. If private clients stop building then the Government has to step in and ensure building continues. If they don't supply won't match demand. This might further inflate whats already been built.

https://www.businessinsider.com/hou...dum-landlords-public-apartments-crisis-2021-9

A majority in Berlin's election just voted to strip 240,000 rentals from major landlords and fight the city's housing crisis

In an unconventional David and Goliath story, pro-housing Berliners just dealt the city's biggest landlords a major blow.

Roughly 56% of Berlin voters backed an initiative on Sunday that would force the city government to buy units owned by corporate landlords. The measure could lead the government to buy up to 240,000 apartments from the corporations. The rule targets landlords that own more than 3,000 rental units, meaning property giants like Deutsche Wohnen — which owns more than 100,000 units in Berlin alone — would be most affected.

Kind of agree with it to a degree but it might fuck up the situation more. If private clients stop building then the Government has to step in and ensure building continues. If they don't supply won't match demand. This might further inflate whats already been built.

https://www.businessinsider.com/hou...dum-landlords-public-apartments-crisis-2021-9

A majority in Berlin's election just voted to strip 240,000 rentals from major landlords and fight the city's housing crisis

In an unconventional David and Goliath story, pro-housing Berliners just dealt the city's biggest landlords a major blow.

Roughly 56% of Berlin voters backed an initiative on Sunday that would force the city government to buy units owned by corporate landlords. The measure could lead the government to buy up to 240,000 apartments from the corporations. The rule targets landlords that own more than 3,000 rental units, meaning property giants like Deutsche Wohnen — which owns more than 100,000 units in Berlin alone — would be most affected.

Interesting. Does Berlin Council have the money for 240,000 apartments?

To be fair, Starmer routinely wipes the floor with the Neanderthal at PMQs. The main problem is that the media in this country will distort every little thing that Labour do and have basically given this government of incompetent fools a free pass for the last 10 years.
No need for the media to destroy Labour, they have managed to do it all by themselves, sadly.

I am of the opinion that once government, especially in the UK, get involved it all ends in tears. Doesn't matter what political hue they are they seem incapable of getting anything done. I have seen so many five year plans years, ten year plans come and go. They are simply unable to deliver on promises.

I am of the opinion that once government, especially in the UK, get involved it all ends in tears. Doesn't matter what political hue they are they seem incapable of getting anything done. I have seen so many five year plans years, ten year plans come and go. They are simply unable to deliver on promises.

It's all high level stuff though, isn't it? Trade policies and the like. I think it's not stuff that people notice or feel on a daily basis.

That said, it seems like so much of it is them making work for themselves, passing stupid knee-jerk laws like Maddie's Law. The need for so many MPs is questionable too.

. I think it's not stuff that people notice or feel on a daily basis
Yes, well perhaps it should be. I have seen five year energy plans, five year transport plans, five year house building plans. Energy is a bigger mess than ever, rail companies are going into receivership, and house building can't keep pace with demand. Government is incompetent and the private sector can't be trusted either. UK is a basket case

Last edited:
Yes, well perhaps it should be. I have seen five year energy plans, five year transport plans, five year house building plans. Energy is a bigger mess than ever, rail companies are going into receivership, and house building can't keep pace with demand. Government is incompetent and the private sector can't be trusted either. UK is a basket case

When Corbyn wanted to address those very issues we were told he was an incompetent nutter who wanted to ruin Britain.