The player who left thread | Page 118 | Vital Football

The player who left thread

I said it!!!! Thinks he could be in the Champions league etc. He's been over hyped. He's good, he's not that good. Has to get an end ball, has to get goals, has to get assists. He looks nice running around in bits and bobs, the final bit is crucial and that's what makes a £30-50m player.

He isn't being at all well coached or utilised here either.

I will say this though, he missed gilt edged chances at Wembley. So talking about having heads turned and I could have been doing this, I could have been doing that. Yes, you could have, with Villa, in the Prem.

Many don't rate Adomah (he is frustrating) or Hourihane. They were both in double figures from midfield last season. But Jack is the golden boy?

I said it!!!! Thinks he could be in the Champions league etc. He's been over hyped. He's good, he's not that good. Has to get an end ball, has to get goals, has to get assists. He looks nice running around in bits and bobs, the final bit is crucial and that's what makes a £30-50m player.

He isn't being at all well coached or utilised here either.

I will say this though, he missed gilt edged chances at Wembley. So talking about having heads turned and I could have been doing this, I could have been doing that. Yes, you could have, with Villa, in the Prem.

Many don't rate Adomah (he is frustrating) or Hourihane. They were both in double figures from midfield last season. But Jack is the golden boy?

He did but the brilliance and persistence that produced one of those guilt edged chances neither Adomah or Hourihane (or many others) have in their locker. He is the golden boy because he is one of us

People were using Maddisons move to Leicester as a benchmark for Jacks transfer fee in the Summer. Personally I'd rather have Maddison, he may not be as good at dribbling, but he offers far more end product.

Yes fear I'm well aware you said it, doesn't mean it wasn't a ridiculous thing to say when there's literally not a hint of arrogance on that interview.

His comments show you why he has never kicked on. His end product is piss poor as his stats prove and he thinks the only thing stopping him from being in the England squad is the fact that he plays for Villa. Hourihane for example has produced way more substance for us than this lad so by Jack's logic Connor should be playing for Real Madrid.

I'm not really arsed what bothers me is the "he loves this club never wanted to leave" crap his camp came out with after the move broke down when all along he wanted to go.

The young man has talent, there is no doubt about that but, talent on its own isn't enough.
The best players in the world have talent but, they also have a work ethic. They come back to the training ground after lunch and practice for hours. Then they apply all that practice on matchdays for the good of the team.

Take Romalu Lukaku as an example.
He's started getting Marcus Rashford back to the training ground and is making him run attacking scenario's again and again, the very things that make Lukaku one of the best strikers in the premiership, practice.

I've seen too many exceptionally talented players, piss their talent away up the wall, or rely on it so much, it's made them arrogant to such an extent, that no other human being can stand to be in their company, for more than 5 seconds at a time.

The way players are judged nowadays is on stats, goals scored, goals assisted and chances created. Not on how pretty they look making a pass that goes through two other players before a shot is got away. Or on how many times they hit the ground in a match.

I hate to think it, let alone say it but, if Jack Grealish wants to become the best that he can be, he'll only do it away from Villa, at a club with coaches who will challenge him. It will have to be soon because its almost too late as it is. If Jack doesn't move on, what he'll have to look back on is, what might've beens and what ifs.

I disagree. He will do it at Villa with a new coach and if he's prepared to work hard at being the best.

He thinks he would have improved enough playing at Spurs to get into their Championship League squad, and also the England squad. Why on earth would he think anything else? Should he have gone to Spurs assuming he'd just be a bench warmer? Would Spurs have tried to get him just to fill a slot on the bench?

Think the interview just confirmed what everybody assumed. When your manager is adament you're going to be sold then it's something you almost certainly accept. Of course he would have looked at positives.

Jack isn't a problem. He's not playing at his best but he's still one of our most effective players. Look elsewhere for problems.

Too many young players these days that show a bit of ability are over-hyped to the point where they believe they've made it and can sit back and enjoy the stardom.

It's not helped by social media, and how they can gauge their fame and talent by the amount of followers they have and the lavish praise that's thrown at them 24/7. Not to mention videos of them on Youtube depicting them as "The Next Pele/Messi/Ronaldo" etc.

Jack has talent, but that's only half of what you need to make it. It's the hard work and dedication that make the player.

At least he admits he hasn't done it yet this season, so hopefully he will kick on now.

His comments show you why he has never kicked on. His end product is piss poor as his stats prove and he thinks the only thing stopping him from being in the England squad is the fact that he plays for Villa. Hourihane for example has produced way more substance for us than this lad so by Jack's logic Connor should be playing for Real Madrid.

I'm not really arsed what bothers me is the "he loves this club never wanted to leave" crap his camp came out with after the move broke down when all along he wanted to go.

Forget the stats. Jack starts moves and also gets free-kicks, which don't show in the stats. Hourihane's wonder free-kick came from Jack being fouled. Abraham's first goal via Kodjia came from a move started by Jack, to give a couple of examples.

"all along wanted to go"? When the manager keeps on saying he has to go, why would he think of not going?

He thinks he would have improved enough playing at Spurs to get into their Championship League squad, and also the England squad. Why on earth would he think anything else? Should he have gone to Spurs assuming he'd just be a bench warmer? Would Spurs have tried to get him just to fill a slot on the bench?

Think the interview just confirmed what everybody assumed. When your manager is adament you're going to be sold then it's something you almost certainly accept. Of course he would have looked at positives.

Jack isn't a problem. He's not playing at his best but he's still one of our most effective players. Look elsewhere for problems.

If Jacks one of our most effective players, boy are we in trouble.
How many goals has he been involved in, in ten games this season, one isn't it.
I happen to think that Jack is a problem, a big problem.
Jack is our new Gabby in that he's now been built up to be bigger than he is.
No matter how out of form he is, he is now undroppable.
Which is something that could do both him and the team the world of good.
For Jack, it could give him time away from the game, time to get his head properly straight, time to re-charge his batteries. To re-assess where he is and what he wants.
For the team, they would have to stop relying on him and find another way.

I disagree. He will do it at Villa with a new coach and if he's prepared to work hard at being the best.

You might be right but sometimes I get the feeling that we will be saying that about Grealish for the next 5 years. At some point regardless of who the coach is you have to do the business yourself and the way he is going another coach might drop him he's not entitled to play. Bruce is playing him every game so I'm not sure what more he wants from a manager.

Well knock me over and roger me with a cucumber.

I honestly thought it was only me !!!

The comment "he is the golden boy coz hes one of us" shows the pure childlike farce of this situation.

Personally, I prefer to idolise people who have done skmething special for this clhb, like the Lincoln born GT, the Durham born BL, the scouse born RS, the Dublin birn PMc.

Sorry if I knew I had to idolise coz they were from round here, then i would have done it.

I will start the chant on Tuesday then.

WE WANT GABBY BACK SAID WE WANT GABBY BACK !!!!

Pathetic !!!!!. Its like The Bay City Rollers all over again !

He's been involved in 3 out of our last 4 goals if I'm not mistaken. But again the brilliant reverse pass that took 2 defenders out the game and laid the ball on a plate for elmo to cross to Bolasie doesn't get him a stat so yeah we'd best drop him.

Whag a load of bull. Been knvolved in.....

Well fecking Nyland has been involved in all our golals this season. He hss touched the ball at some point in the build up.

I heard after whichever goal it was last week "tgat was down to jack that was."
All he did was get the ball from the throw kn and give a 3 yard. ball back to the taker.

Who then gave it to elno, whk put in a superb ball for Bllasie to make a diving header.

But it was Jacks brilliant contribution i presume you are counting then ?

And the foul ?. So he picks the ball up, cant beat his man, so falls over, and thats what he did, he fell over and conned the ref, and Hiurihane chips a subljme 30 yarder in, but it was Jacks brilliance that got the goal was it ?.

Granted, the Abraham, Kodjia set up, Grealish great pass, yep he created that one.

But this total pathetic nonsense sums it up. People are looking for any tiny, and i mean tiny jnsignificant thing to justify the Elvis like adulation of someone who has had 175 mins of good football in 6 years (90 mins Liv Semi, Obe half v Blues, ond half Wembley Fulham) am I wrong ?

Last edited:
Well knock me over and roger me with a cucumber.

I honestly thought it was only me !!!

The comment "he is the golden boy coz hes one of us" shows the pure childlike farce of this situation.

Personally, I prefer to idolise people who have done skmething special for this clhb, like the Lincoln born GT, the Durham born BL, the scouse born RS, the Dublin birn PMc.

Sorry if I knew I had to idolise coz they were from round here, then i would have done it.

I will start the chant on Tuesday then.

WE WANT GABBY BACK SAID WE WANT GABBY BACK !!!!

Pathetic !!!!!. Its like The Bay City Rollers all over again !

I used to like cucumbers holtelower but, the picture you have put into my head has turned me off them completely, even using slices to refresh tired eyes.
Thank you mate.

Blimey. There is a lot of knicker twisting going on. Shock horror young footballer wants to play at higher level. I would if I were him. Not up to him to decide whether he is worth the money or good enough. That's up to others. Incidentally , one of those others is Pochittino, who obviously thinks he is good enough for spurs. But yes I think you know more than the spurs manager HL, Grealish is crap.

Tell you what lets get rid of Grealish like we did with Cahill, Albrighton and Davis. That's the ticket watch his best years ( which are yet to come) for someone else.

And just to balance the report out . This bit from the end of the interview isn't getting much air time....
Funny that.....

"It's not like I was devastated it didn't happen, though, because I've still got to realise how lucky I am to be playing for my boyhood club. I've played over 100 games for Villa and I've only just turned 23."

erm......

Pottechini DID NOT think he was good enough - actually, wrong, Pottechinio thout he was worth 3 MILLON QUID - and when that was refused , they didn't come back.

Not me - BRUCE !!!!

If Spurs "thought " Jack was worth it - he would be now playing for Spurs. There was a time, Villa would have sold the ground for a fiver - and not one bid for Jack.

THE ONLY - and not me, the club say - the ONLY bid for Jack Grealish was for 3m plus Onomah on loan - THAT WAS WHAT THEY THOUGHT HE WAS WORTH.

Not a single, and I mean ONE single club in the entire world thought he was worth anymore - or else they would have tried to sign him wouldn't they.

Hey, but thanks for showing me the way, coz at the moment , I am selling an apartment in Spain. It is up for 75k coz thats what I thought it was worth, but I didn't know if I said "I will sell it for 2 million" - it suddenly means it is worth 2 million. I will get on to the Estate Agent first thing Monday morning

Last edited: