The Plastic Crisis/Environment Thread | Page 53 | Vital Football

The Plastic Crisis/Environment Thread

Born in the Midlands, stayed in the Midlands!

And no, you are a one stop shop, it is all immigrants. And MF and me are so bored of it. That is part of a picture, you present it as the picture, as is Jim in his post.

You do realise we have exported many a human from this country as well.

Every fucking thread becomes about those damn foreigners.

And no, I wasn't saying just Tories, however, they have been in power 14 years and the country has become more fucked up and Sunak has reversed the pledges for us to do better environmentally.
Haha. Born in England, stayed in England, though the Cornish would disagree.
Disagree with the rest of the post, but anyway off too walk the dog .
Morning all.

You wouldn't have to hike up prices, if done correctly, and it could and should, lead to lower energy bills.

There is a green revolution that we should have been leading, as usual, we aren't and the likes of China are. Such a shame, could have been massive for job creation, the environment, our 'so called' standing in the world and so on.

tax bills have been hiked btw, and energy prices have soared.
China haven't got an established, in grained fossil fuel system serving the entire country that needs to be changed.
They also have the biggest economy in the world coupled with horrendous workers and human rights and serious inequality, amongst a host of other issues.

That said, we are investing in a brand new electric railway to ease congestion and free up capacity, caused by our growing population. Easily the most environmentally friendly way to transport people is by electric train. It's the most expensive and biggest engineering project in this country for several generations, and guess what? A lot of the country are moaning about it!!

Unless I've totally misunderstood you, yes China do. Production and fossil use went up post Covid, (they also plan new fossil plants) whilst they are awaiting new Nuke to come on line and that was despite record growth in green renewables that continues to forge ahead at pace.

China are leading the way whilst being a major polluter, and the UK is sitting on its thumbs again, playing politics and letting a letting a little man think he's 6ft and intelligent and saying we need to drill North Sea for security and consumer costs (when we don't set the fucking price of our own fossil).

Meanwhile, solar banks go unused because the Gov didn't think they might need to be connected to the grid. Tidal and wind (an island you know) are under utilised because the Gov are too scared of telling people 'you'll get used to the view like you always have'.

What is this train project driven by population? Do you mean the elephant that is HS2, that is substandard tech, has greased too many rich profits, was never going to work, and the only bits that would provide a small benefit for day trippers has been shit canned?

Hardly a morning glory - and I'm still perplexed as to what the fuck this has to do with immigration. Those waiting five years for an asylum decision don't really need that kind of transport in their working day (we don't allow them to) and I'm even more confused on what immigration has to do with our inability to manage the sewers and waterways and how it involves plastic.

And prices have already risen for these very issues, so isn't immigration and population not the point. Could it be mis-management on a Gov sanctioned level?

Easier to blame immigrants though isn't it.

China haven't got an established, in grained fossil fuel system serving the entire country that needs to be changed.
They also have the biggest economy in the world coupled with horrendous workers and human rights and serious inequality, amongst a host of other issues.

That said, we are investing in a brand new electric railway to ease congestion and free up capacity, caused by our growing population. Easily the most environmentally friendly way to transport people is by electric train. It's the most expensive and biggest engineering project in this country for several generations, and guess what? A lot of the country are moaning about it!!

And so they should be, over budget, nowhere near on schedule, slaughtered many a beautiful part of the countryside and now in many areas destroyed, it isn't even going to be built.

It is absolutely impossible to accurately budget a project as big and lengthy as HS2. Yes, it was way off, but Covid and wars could not be accounted for. They have cut it off because of spiralling costs out of their control. You can't argue it is too expensive and complain that it's been cut short.

I think it is fair to say that if our population had plateaued at 50 million then we wouldn't need it at all. More people is the reason our roads and railways are congested, and we don't have enough houses, schools, hospital beds, etc etc....

It was wildly over budget long before Covid and Ukraine, so that excuse doesn't wash for me. And if it was all about the money, we find it when it suits the Gov.

It was wildly expensive, and unneeded but vanity projects are and it was known from day one that the benefits did not justify the cost. It's a bit trite to now argue people can't talk cost vs benefit based on the simple mention the only real benefit 'would have' come from the lines now scrapped, and even that was marginal and still not worth the cost. You're trying to make a binary point out of something that does not exist.

But that's not why it was culled anyway (we are still paying shitloads for it). It was culled so Rishi could try and pump some short term promise fixes for the election with the tiny bit of spare culling it created, nothing more nothing less because he needs quick wins.

Are we looking into which Tory donors may be buying up the land yet?

And are we meant to forget diverting HS2 future cash to existing rail, road and pothole fixes isn't a lie, as that should be done within the existing budget anyway!

Highest taxes since WW2, poorer and crumbling services for going on for 15 years, and the population issue isn't immigration but the Tories want it to be (and they are still blaming the EU like fucking children). However, none of the sectors you raise have been improved over that time either under their watch, they have been decimated by management changes giving jobs to friends that open doors to consultancy and after dinner speeches when they finally fuck off as an MP.

HS2 is a strategy to bridge the north/south divide, as has been the investment in the North (Manchester in particular). It also aims to solve London's housing crisis, to name a few impacts.
I'm not saying I agree with it all but I'll argue the case for HS2. All current commuter routes are absolutely saturated, and highly polluting. Electrification of routes and the addition of HS2 is easily the best solution to this problem. Find me a report that suggest something more suitable and I'll happily read it with an open mind. I've looked and cant find one, all the feasibility studies say the same, and HS2 has cross party support.
Demand for building materials and equipment driving up costs, as well as delays caused by issues out of their control simply cannot be blamed on anyone really. It is, what it is and new strategies for it's full completion are being looked into. Last I saw was Andy's Burnham and Street seeking private investors for the next leg.
There is clear evidence of the positive impact HS2 is having on our region. Investment in Birmingham is way above most cities (globally) and this will trickle out to the wider region with time. We already have the Camp Hill line under construction and new metro routes continuously adding the connectivity of the region. Not to mention the 1000's of jobs it is creating.

Don't get me wrong I'll moan about things when I feel it's justified, but I really don't think this should be criticised.

It was... now it is Midlands to London, which is already more than efficient enough. If it was Scotland to the South Coast, I'd see the point.

Massively upgrading what we already had, and sorting the terrible transport links in the North, was the way to go, not this 'lets get to London quicker'.

They should never have used the speed that much in the marketing. That was never the reason for the project and the route will only be quicker because its a new line with new trains and that's how fast they go. It was always about connectivity and capacity, the speed is a bonus.

As I said, the scaling back because of costs is a disaster. But work is being done to try and get it back on track. (sorry!)

They should never have used the speed that much in the marketing. That was never the reason for the project and the route will only be quicker because its a new line with new trains and that's how fast they go. It was always about connectivity and capacity, the speed is a bonus.

As I said, the scaling back because of costs is a disaster. But work is being done to try and get it back on track. (sorry!)
Who is trying to get it back on track, because Starmer is on record as saying Labour wont resurrect the derailed northern link.

Almost as unlikely as Andy Street and Fabricunt!

But to be fair, party lines to one side, they are at least (or appear to be) serious politicians.
Just googled the two mentioned above and have been enlightened. You learn something new everyday. Thank you.