The Plastic Crisis/Environment Thread | Page 50 | Vital Football

The Plastic Crisis/Environment Thread

Maybe because some of us live in places which are actually much higher above sea level than others, who may be affected by such rises?

How lucky we are!
I have actually lived in a fishing village for the last thirty years and the incidence of flooding is no different too what it was when we moved here. No additional flooding except on spring tides, and that has been that way forever, it's just the way it is. Surely 7.5trillion tons of water would have had an effect somewhere, but I can only find references to what it will do in the future. This should have already caused those problems.

Over 20 years ago I visited the Maldives as according to reports it was unlikely that they would be still here in less than 10 years due to rising ocean levels. Some 20 odd years later they look no different to when I visited. A lot of these so called environmentalists don't half spout some crap which is probably just them justifying their careers.

Over 20 years ago I visited the Maldives as according to reports it was unlikely that they would be still here in less than 10 years due to rising ocean levels. Some 20 odd years later they look no different to when I visited. A lot of these so called environmentalists don't half spout some crap which is probably just them justifying their careers.
I actually Googled that before posting, and could only find references to what might happen, not what has happened.

Plenty of countries are seeing problems with rising sea levels, but don't forget it just doesn't all go into the sea. It goes into the atmosphere and I can certainly where I live downpours and now better and the sewers get flooded far quicker, and until a few years back I hadn't heard of Tewksbury, yet flooding there is now an annual event.

That report was poor though (and we've talked about going sensation doom for no reason as being counterproductive) because lots of what was said has come true, people only remind people of the shit that doesn't.

Despite the capitalisation of TONNES 7.5 it is a literal drop in the ocean when you spread it out between pure water and then additional evaporation into the air. At those numbers it's equivalent to filling a bath and then pissing a litre into it and wondering why it hasn't all turned yellow.

And as dumb as it sounds, I have never actually seen anybody even attempt to add erosion into the equations (probably for good reason lol). All land masses shrink, that creates additional space on a volume front, even if it's incredibly gradual - the new fake land masses that are being created should also be factored in.

The apocalyptic visions of climate change are hysterical (not funny, crazy) and are never challenged. They are used by the crazies at Just Stop Oil to justify all actions, however extreme.

I do wonder if the transition to green energy coupled to population decline will reverse climate change to such a degree that we start getting the opposite problem.

The apocalyptic visions of climate change are hysterical (not funny, crazy) and are never challenged. They are used by the crazies at Just Stop Oil to justify all actions, however extreme.

I do wonder if the transition to green energy coupled to population decline will reverse climate change to such a degree that we start getting the opposite problem.
Well here's another report that states Hydrogen is not the answer, but the government and the gas industry don't agree. Now there's a surprise. How the hell are ordinary people expected to sort through this minefield when so called experts and vested interest groups can't, and still battle for their share of the pie. It's no wonder many people think the whole thing is a green con and just another way of extracting money from their pockets.

Well here's another report that states Hydrogen is not the answer, but the government and the gas industry don't agree. Now there's a surprise. How the hell are ordinary people expected to sort through this minefield when so called experts and vested interest groups can't, and still battle for their share of the pie. It's no wonder many people think the whole thing is a green con and just another way of extracting money from their pockets.

Hydro as a heat source is dead until they prove viability and safety. It's one thing in a closed circuit like an arctic for long journeys and distribution, it's a totally different work if have you pipes spanning the country, going into homes, with the risk of leaks, breaks and accidental combustion. Gas is not 100%, people won't accept a switch to 70%.

Still not with you on heat pumps - again I know a lad who has them, I listened to everything he said and I still pay attention to how often he has his burner on. Heat pumps are an 80-90% answer - they don't cover that extra occasional 10%.

And I know you used Green Con through frustration that people paid to get these answers seem dumber than us lot having a piss up in a brewery (between us all we've come up with great ideas I've never heard a politician even mention!) but I'd really love to ban that phrase.

Purely on the basis it convinces flat earthers they are correct lol

And I know you used Green Con through frustration that people paid to get these answers seem dumber than us lot having a piss up in a brewery (between us all we've come up with great ideas I've never heard a politician even mention!) but I'd really love to ban that phrase.
It is a green con in so much as big business are dancing circles round government, and always seem to come up with massively increased profit from any situation that presents. It's a con in as much as it's always us that one way or another pays for their fuck ups. Water companies about to put up prices massively to pay for what they should have already done instead of giving profit too shareholders, all dressed up and greenwashed. Another con. And no I'm not frustrated, I'm bloody fuming.
PS. Not sure about heat pump comment, 😕 at least not in this post

That side I definitely agree with, it's just one of those phrases that grates on me for some reason.

The article mentioned pumps so I just spanned, as I assumed you were wrapping them up in this. Going off the chap I know and what he's said (and subject to the installation costs halving at minimum) they are a good solution for maybe ten months of the year.

As above though, that extra needed smack in the middle of winter means a house would need a backup plan, whether LPG, or log burner. They are an answer, but not the answer - particularly at those costs.

The infra red radiator developments https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64402524 seem very interesting, I think we've spoken about them before, as an alternative given relevant installation costs.

That side I definitely agree with, it's just one of those phrases that grates on me for some reason.

The article mentioned pumps so I just spanned, as I assumed you were wrapping them up in this. Going off the chap I know and what he's said (and subject to the installation costs halving at minimum) they are a good solution for maybe ten months of the year.

As above though, that extra needed smack in the middle of winter means a house would need a backup plan, whether LPG, or log burner. They are an answer, but not the answer - particularly at those costs.

The infra red radiator developments https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64402524 seem very interesting, I think we've spoken about them before, as an alternative given relevant installation costs.
Never seen the infra red thing before. I shall read up on this tomorrow, whilst my knee is getting better.

I'm sure we've talked about it before mate, but it is a commercially available alternative now that somehow doesn't get a lot of press. Setup costs are cheaper, but running costs (long term) are higher than heat pumps at current average.

Use that Beeb link and then google further on the infra stuff mate. Radiators, it can be built into wallpaper, underfloor is an option I believe, or simple on ceiling etc. But as a newer tech, I'm still in the reading phase - others are proven to work so to speak.

But it's worth thinking about if the reviews are true, because if heat pump costs don't at least halve - if the infra stands up, by my quick calculations (again maths is not my friend) you've got about 8 years before a heat pump is the cheaper option.

I have no comparison to gas, I have to add.

Hope the knee feels better tomorrow, I caught that elsewhere, and you have my sympathy as I am a fellow sufferer.

Hydro as a heat source is dead until they prove viability and safety. It's one thing in a closed circuit like an arctic for long journeys and distribution, it's a totally different work if have you pipes spanning the country, going into homes, with the risk of leaks, breaks and accidental combustion. Gas is not 100%, people won't accept a switch to 70%.

Still not with you on heat pumps - again I know a lad who has them, I listened to everything he said and I still pay attention to how often he has his burner on. Heat pumps are an 80-90% answer - they don't cover that extra occasional 10%.

Purely on the basis it convinces flat earthers they are correct lol
I know you don't like the word con, but here's another example of big business looking after itself whilst pretending to be all nice and green, and surprise surprise it's the good old French again.

It is a green con in so much as big business are dancing circles round government, and always seem to come up with massively increased profit from any situation that presents. It's a con in as much as it's always us that one way or another pays for their fuck ups. Water companies about to put up prices massively to pay for what they should have already done instead of giving profit too shareholders, all dressed up and greenwashed. Another con. And no I'm not frustrated, I'm bloody fuming.
PS. Not sure about heat pump comment, 😕 at least not in this post

a couple of good days in the bog, turning and stacking the turf, would get you plenty of heating for the winter, thats banned now, thanks to the enviromentalists,,,seanie

I know you don't like the word con, but here's another example of big business looking after itself whilst pretending to be all nice and green, and surprise surprise it's the good old French again.

Yeah, but on the same level of outrage, how many fresh dig North Sea Oil licences has Rishi just handed to his father in law and others?

Companies and some Govs being self serving Nadine Dorries doesn't change it's not a con. Surely by 2023 we know individually we have to be smarter than the fuckers the dumb people elect?

Yeah, but on the same level of outrage, how many fresh dig North Sea Oil licences has Rishi just handed to his father in law and others?

Companies and some Govs being self serving Nadine Dorries doesn't change it's not a con. Surely by 2023 we know individually we have to be smarter than the fuckers the dumb people elect?
Fully agree. Oil prices have been tumbling, but as usual fuel prices stay high.Another big business con. Maybe legal extortion is a better word.As regards elections, not a lot of choice really is there?

Ahhh the good old days with work houses and sending kids up chimney's.

I'm jesting! Before anyone starts, but life changes.

the best part of it,it was enjoyable, just to know, what, it was like, although back breaking, one year i did 21 hoppers, (thats rows) and on the last day a relation came to give me a hand. needless to say, i told him politely to scram,,,seanie

the best part of it,it was enjoyable, just to know, what, it was like, although back breaking, one year i did 21 hoppers, (thats rows) and on the last day a relation came to give me a hand. needless to say, i told him politely to scram,,,seanie
I get that seanie. We have a few days a year cutting and stacking seasoned wood for next year's burning. It is enjoyable, aswell as doing something positive towards next year's fuel consumption.