The Olympics thread | Page 9 | Vital Football

The Olympics thread

I enjoyed watching young Walls winning the Omnium.
Great performance.
(I haven’t seen the other things you are on about - but they do sound rather silly.)

The best performances of the Olympics so far for me have to be the 400m hurdles finals (both men's and women's.) If you haven't watched them yet then have a look out for them (probably available on YouTube by now), they are both truly spectacular races.

Roll on 2024 for Break Dancing and Cheerleading...
If only you were kidding

Competitive cheerleading is on the list of possible inclusions for LA 2028!

Would never have called this one.
Stokes just does not seem to be the type to be affected by such issues.He has lost his father this year and has massive expectation on his shoulders but it seems so out of character.

Harsh, difficult, question,particularly in these PC times, but-

Are we becoming more accepting of such happenings or are individuals copping out more?

Bubble environment may be a big factor in this I reckon.

The British were always noted for their stoicism. The 'stiff upper lip', the 'keep calm and carry on', we were a people who would take life on the chin and keep a check on our emotions. The day this ended was Aug 31st 1997, imo, the day Princess Diana was killed. It has probably been happening for quite a while, but that was the day we became emotionally incontinent. Suddenly we were unable to contain and rationalise and control our feelings, but it suddenly became the thing to show you cared more, to be emotional, and we were encouraged to do it.

Fast forward 25 years and we are assaulted from every direction by the need to be brave and open up and show our emotions, and give in to our emotions, and by definition look for our victimhood and someone to blame for our own failings. We haven't improved as a people. You know what, life is shit. It is full of tough things, pain and loss, sadness and disappointment, and being encouraged to fold up like origami everytime we face adversity is wrong. We gain strength from taking responsibility and facing up to what is in front of us, and we become better people. Another thing that we have lost.

The British were always noted for their stoicism. The 'stiff upper lip', the 'keep calm and carry on', we were a people who would take life on the chin and keep a check on our emotions. The day this ended was Aug 31st 1997, imo, the day Princess Diana was killed. It has probably been happening for quite a while, but that was the day we became emotionally incontinent. Suddenly we were unable to contain and rationalise and control our feelings, but it suddenly became the thing to show you cared more, to be emotional, and we were encouraged to do it.

Fast forward 25 years and we are assaulted from every direction by the need to be brave and open up and show our emotions, and give in to our emotions, and by definition look for our victimhood and someone to blame for our own failings. We haven't improved as a people. You know what, life is shit. It is full of tough things, pain and loss, sadness and disappointment, and being encouraged to fold up like origami everytime we face adversity is wrong. We gain strength from taking responsibility and facing up to what is in front of us, and we become better people. Another thing that we have lost.

Absolutely bang on.
Scary thing is.... It's going to get much worse. Just look at most of the NEWS HEADLINES. Most are about pathetic spineless losers unable to deal with the most trivial inconvenience. Given oxygen to these sad fuckers just exacerbates the situation and the spiral grows. Some sad c u nt says. " My world is ending "as he's scared of needle so he can't have a covid jab. BBC headline. Natural selection will hopefully resolve the issue.

What a brilliant performance by our girls in the cycling sprint madison final for gold! They absolutely smashed it winning 10 sprints out if the 12.
Utter domination, loved the passion in the interviews afterwards- they practised against the U23 squad and they intended to do it that way.Perfect plan, perfect race.

Natural selection will hopefully resolve the issue.

You must be joking. Health and Safety is totally geared up to save the feckwits from their own stupidity.

Loving Boris's Thatcher quote giving the left a Gordian knot of a problem.

'Thatcher was wrong for closing the mines'
'Shall we open them up again'
'No we must close them for the sake of the climate'
'So she was right to close them'
'Yes, I mean no, I mean...arrrrgh!'

It means a lot to our generation because we lived through it, but most kids under 30, thanks to our lamentably poor history teaching, probably think she's a TV cook.

Modern pentathlon , running /shooting stage- 3 lead the field and the commentator says

" Now the 3 are running as a pair"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!