The Ollie Watkins Thread | Page 82 | Vital Football

The Ollie Watkins Thread

You could make a longer video of his misses and shocking first touch with the Benny Hill theme on loop.
Exactly, it's what we keep saying isn't it about highlights of this and that player, there are no bad players on youtube highlights.
The amount of attacks that break down when it goes to him is , well, shocking but nobody makes a video of that probably not even the club to use as an analytical tool

Exactly, it's what we keep saying isn't it about highlights of this and that player, there are no bad players on youtube highlights.
The amount of attacks that break down when it goes to him is , well, shocking but nobody makes a video of that probably not even the club to use as an analytical tool
Attacks tend to break down with strikers in general, which makes total sense.

I can't help but think we're getting the MOTD Effect here when we assume other teams' moves don't all break down with their strikers as well.

We can all see that he's been isolated up front for us, being expected to hold the ball up surrounded by defenders for far too long than he should. He had a bad season and still put 11 goals away in the PL. If our new-and-improved team can support him better next year I hope he can match or improve on his tally from 20/21.

Watkins scores roughly 1 every 3 games which is about what most of our better strikers have managed in the Premier league era during their time with us. Saunders, Dublin, Angel, Savo, Gabby (pre 2011 anyway), Carew. The only ones to really better that 1 in 3 ratio over a sustained period were Yorke after Little came in and made him his main man and Benteke.

All of those players bar Benteke played for the most part in much stronger Villa sides than the one Ollie does so in terms of goals he's done alright even though he's had a poor season overall. I'd keep him and have him and Archer backing up a new striker whilst selling Ings.

This is a crucial summer for us as in the past when the time has come to bring in that 20 a season striker, or keep them in the case of Yorke and Benteke we've either lost our goalscorer or not gone out and got the next level striker. Bringing in Heskey when we were 3rd in 2009 springs to mind. We need to go out and get a higher level striker. Ollie is fine for a mid table side, we want better.

Trouble is wirh the 1 in 3 stat. Its not 1 in 3. Its streaky, too many long gaps and averages out to look better and we can't afford long gaps to kick on. We need a true 1 in 3 or more I'm afraid. And that costs.

Trouble is wirh the 1 in 3 stat. Its not 1 in 3. Its streaky, too many long gaps and averages out to look better and we can't afford long gaps to kick on. We need a true 1 in 3 or more I'm afraid. And that costs.

Virtually all strikers are streaky like that though. Outside the regular 20 goal a seaso one's.

I agree. His first touch can be shocking at times for an International player. It's a credit to him that he managed to score 14 goals in a team that constantly came off second best when it came to possession. The one man press that he was asked to play surely doesn't help. Ings is a more natural scorer, but can't run. If those two don't start off like a house on fire, I think we'll see more of Archer than we imagined. We will soon see what Stevie is thinking, come the first couple of pre season games.

Nothing wrong with the number of goals he scores it's the rest of his game that is weak. Forget how many goals he scores or doesn't as the case may be.
He has a bit of everything but is the master of nothing and that is the problem.
if you could role the pace of Gabby the hold-up play of Withe the cold dead-eye finishing of Shaw and the silky skills of Sir Brian or Merson you'd have the perfect player, unfortunately, Ollie hasn't got any of those skills at that level

In a better team I could see Ollie getting 20 goals in a season. And I hope we have a better team next season. With Ings as well and Archer pushing them in preseason it’s not a department that I’m too worried about. That view is helped by me not seeing anything special outside the ‘unobtainables’ in the PL anyway.’

Has he gone yet I am hoping we'll have a buyer for him another championship player got lumbered with even Southgate seen through him

Ollie is the perfect example of stats not telling you the full story. Statistically and technically a decent player but his game last season at times leaves a lot to be desired. Without the ball he’s one of the best in the league but with the ball he can be pretty poor.

He's a pretty shite player in all honesty and will continue to be a limiting factor. Hopefully we sign a quality striker this window.