The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 67 | Vital Football

The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread

What I'm reading on this thread leans towards spending a fortune for the here and now. The reality is that we will invest in younger, unproven, risky purchases as they fit our budget and our wage structure (currently). They will probably be from abroad and have little or no PL experience (in the main).

I'm interested in the journey, I accept that Aston Villa will have to build a team - not an easy thing to do btw. JF suggests we should aim high with a big name manager for which I can see both positives and negatives - yes he could attract more expensive players with a reputation which is extremely costly and could leave us with baggage.

My hope is that we unearth the next Sadio Mané, not purchase Divock Origi. We unfortunately have to look for value, take risks and find our next Christian Benteke. I know that isn't making friends out there and I know that mistakes will be made. We are at least shopping in the £10-20m price bracket (possibly more for a striker) and we have to trust that Johan Lange will unearth some hidden gems. We can talk potential until the cows come home, but currently we are not dining at the top table and cannot enjoy the luxury of squandering £40m on a Seb Haller or a Joelinton.

IMHO we will require 4-5 improvements within the team and in order to do this we will need at least 8 signings. Some will be youngsters for the future, some will be risks but at least 3 of them need to hit the ground running and improve the team.
what we need are players that have played in the prem like him from liverpool and if he costs 60 million thats what we need to pay thats if he would even wanna come in the first place

Think you're right. At least, I think that's mainly in line with how the owners see it.

Seem to remember them saying that splashing out a fortune on existing top stars wasn't the way to do it; we need to develop our own stars. They also said that establishing our own style, our own way of playing was key, and that would dictate what players we bought and what coaching staff we employed, indeed how our whole development and coaching side worked.

Fair enough, but I think there are two issues which go along with that. One is that the head coach / manager can make a big difference to how fast and how well the first team players develop. The reality is that we're in the PL and the coach has to do both that and ensure we progress as well. Question is whether DS and his team is the right choice or whether we need somebody like Poch. Getting Poch might be money very well spent.

The other issue is that you need quality to survive in the PL, and we don't have enough of it. Bargain basement players are unlikely to provide the quality we need right now.
You ask the question do we need someone like Poch, but prior to that you state the new owners approach to transfers.
The two are at odds with each other because Poch and his ilk are never going to come to a team like us with a transfer policy like that.
They want to work with big established stars of proven quality, and even though we have the resources I somehow doubt we will spend in the fashion that would keep a top manager happy.

I wouldn't be against keeping Reina for a year as back up to Heaton. No harm in having 2 experienced keepers and from what I've seen and read Reina is well liked and respected by the rest of the lads.

Nyland and Kalanic need to go.

Steer is a decent no.3.

I certainly don't think it's a position we need to be spending too much money on when you look at the state of the rest of the squad.

Let’s be honest here whilst I like the philosophy of buying young potential and developing them in the £10 million price bracket that isn’t going to work in the immediate future when you haven’t even got 11 premier league quality players in the first place as we have seen this season. The only players I think our Premier League quality and can do a good job is Heaton, Mings, Konsa Guilbert, Luis, McGinn and Grealish.
Which means you need a Left Back, Central Midfielder, Winger and Striker

what we need are players that have played in the prem like him from liverpool and if he costs 60 million thats what we need to pay thats if he would even wanna come in the first place
Can't see that happening personally. You are also suggesting that he is somewhere near SJG in valuation. Funding Liverpool to the tune of £60m would seriously piss me off as well - and strengthen them considerably.

Not for me at that price, bit part player, proved nothing £15-20m at best, especially from Liverpool. They'll just invest in the youngsters we need to unearth.

You ask the question do we need someone like Poch, but prior to that you state the new owners approach to transfers.
The two are at odds with each other because Poch and his ilk are never going to come to a team like us with a transfer policy like that.
They want to work with big established stars of proven quality, and even though we have the resources I somehow doubt we will spend in the fashion that would keep a top manager happy.

Poch did say he was looking for a project where he could develop players.

Also, the second issue I mentioned, you have to invest in players who will make a difference in the PL now; bargain basement won't cut it. So the owners need to adapt their approach to the realities of the PL; hopefully they are flexible enough to do that.

Poch did say he was looking for a project where he could develop players.

Also, the second issue I mentioned, you have to invest in players who will make a difference in the PL now; bargain basement won't cut it. So the owners need to adapt their approach to the realities of the PL; hopefully they are flexible enough to do that.
Yes, not having a pop at you McParland, agree with what you say, we desperatley need some PL experiance in that team.

Was hoping for a decent youngish keeper, just seems like age is starting to take its toll speed wise with Pepe (not what we need in the prem) he looked old when West Ham got that looping equaliser, wouldn’t mind him in a coaching roll?

I think he misjudged the West Ham equaliser. If you watch it back he took half a step forward then realised it was going over him & back peddled. If he hadn’t made that initial move he’d of probably kept it out. Think he’s the best keeper I’ve seen for a long time except Heaton.

Let’s be honest here whilst I like the philosophy of buying young potential and developing them in the £10 million price bracket that isn’t going to work in the immediate future when you haven’t even got 11 premier league quality players in the first place as we have seen this season. The only players I think our Premier League quality and can do a good job is Heaton, Mings, Konsa Guilbert, Luis, McGinn and Grealish.
Which means you need a Left Back, Central Midfielder, Winger and Striker
Guilbert is sub standard. Hourihane is prem level. Agree with the rest. Undecided on Trezeguet

Guilbert is sub standard. Hourihane is prem level. Agree with the rest. Undecided on Trezeguet
Undecided on so many of them although I do think they'll be better having a year under their belts. They are definitely not good enough to get European football together, but we were under the cosh so much last season I sometimes forgot we had forwards.

Short of those not used ie Lansbury, Kalinic etc I would change the squad much at all, just cash in (as best we can) on those who walk for free next summer. Take a loss on them if needed just to reduce the loss we'll take when they walk for free.

It's all wonga to reinvest where we need it.

Football rules and 'FACTS' lol state that at least 75% of the squad overall will be better for the 12 months under their belt, especially our newbies, but not all will make it and we need to improve anyway.

But still make limited changes out, limited movement in but solid first XI improvements so we replace the bench with the likes of Hourihane etc - who has his role in some games, but definitely hasn't yet proven he should be a guaranteed started.

Again, the last thing we need to do this summer is ruin the momentum and belief by making major changes again. I know I'll get pelters for this, but if it's a results business this squad (by hook or crook) has shown it can compete at this level, score, eventually defend and survive. That isn't success, but it's a start. Now we kick on and that means continuity, with key additions.

Jeff Kendrick anyone? The Irish Brett Holman. Runs about a lot.
Contract up at Burnley and turned down a new one. Surprisingly only 28.

Hendrick? Not for me, massively overhyped when they signed him from Derby. Eyes on AC Milan if you can believe the press and thinks he deserves a bigger move.

But it seems he refused to play after Covid and didn't hand back his wages over the break - not for me, no player who did that and took the piss out of their club and their fans is for me in all honesty.

I'd at least understand a Prem player who refused the short extension because they wanted to move on, but you counter that by handing back your wage from the period where you couldn't perform under contract.

What about Danny Rose as a left back option? sent out on loan last season, 12 months left of his contract and doesnt appear to be in spurs plans going forward? Prem experience, fast, decent? Wouldnt imagine he'd be exceptionally expensive?

Reading Twitter gossip, "Norwich's godfrey going to Germany for 30m" "Origi valued at 60m" crazy money....100m these days might not get much!

Our form improvement over the last 4 games when Hourihane returned hasn't gone unnoticed. Wand of a left foot , excellent with a dead ball. Great future ahead