The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 66 | Vital Football

The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread

If Drinky had been up to the standard of his Leicester days he'd have been perfect for us. Could do the pass forward which players like Samatta can make use of.

Jack could be doing that as well. Trouble is I don't think he's getting coaching for it. He needs a coach who instills releasing early as part of his game.

Not sure if the coaching bit applies, saying that purely because its not uncommon in say, golf where the very top pros frequently have coaches who were fairly so so as golfers in there own right, but do know how to correct faults in others.
Dont know if that applies in football.
Of course it applies in life. Merse was a terrible manager by his own admission. What he did came naturally to him on the pitch and unfortunately he probably doesn't have the brains to explain it :lol:

Wenger, Ferguson, Eck - none of the above were fantastic high level footballers :fish:

I'm a big fan of Loftus-Cheek but his limited game time was due to having a bad achilles injury. I dont think they'd let him go on the cheap and I wouldnt be surprised if Frank wants to keep hold of him either.
I do have to question the mentality of some of these Chelsea ex-youths seemingly more interested in hanging around the fringes so they can pick up their inflated wages and can say they “play for Chelsea”. Loftus Cheek could have left years ago after he was on loan at Palace but didn’t push for a move which makes me think would he cut it here where he was to give it 100% week in week out

Of course it applies in life. Merse was a terrible manager by his own admission. What he did came naturally to him on the pitch and unfortunately he probably doesn't have the brains to explain it :lol:

Wenger, Ferguson, Eck - none of the above were fantastic high level footballers :fish:
Eck, hmmm.

I do have to question the mentality of some of these Chelsea ex-youths seemingly more interested in hanging around the fringes so they can pick up their inflated wages and can say they “play for Chelsea”. Loftus Cheek could have left years ago after he was on loan at Palace but didn’t push for a move which makes me think would he cut it here where he was to give it 100% week in week out
It's unfortunate but true. Too many footballers happy to have "the lifestyle" and not willing to push on... To me, that's why these types should be avoided. However, there is a fine line between not rocking the boat for a move and pushing for a move if you're not getting the opportunities that you need. Chelsea is a perfect example of how players can be held back because they change managers so often. New boss comes in, persuades a player to stay, player thinks he's got a clean slate, and six months later he's back to square one. Cycle repeats. Thinking about that Victor Moses fella for example, he was flavour of the month under one of their managers (Conte?) and a nailed on starter, now he's rarely seen...

It's unfortunate but true. Too many footballers happy to have "the lifestyle" and not willing to push on... To me, that's why these types should be avoided. However, there is a fine line between not rocking the boat for a move and pushing for a move if you're not getting the opportunities that you need. Chelsea is a perfect example of how players can be held back because they change managers so often. New boss comes in, persuades a player to stay, player thinks he's got a clean slate, and six months later he's back to square one. Cycle repeats. Thinking about that Victor Moses fella for example, he was flavour of the month under one of their managers (Conte?) and a nailed on starter, now he's rarely seen...

Forgotten about Moses seems he's out on loan at Inter

What I'm reading on this thread leans towards spending a fortune for the here and now. The reality is that we will invest in younger, unproven, risky purchases as they fit our budget and our wage structure (currently). They will probably be from abroad and have little or no PL experience (in the main).

I'm interested in the journey, I accept that Aston Villa will have to build a team - not an easy thing to do btw. JF suggests we should aim high with a big name manager for which I can see both positives and negatives - yes he could attract more expensive players with a reputation which is extremely costly and could leave us with baggage.

My hope is that we unearth the next Sadio Mané, not purchase Divock Origi. We unfortunately have to look for value, take risks and find our next Christian Benteke. I know that isn't making friends out there and I know that mistakes will be made. We are at least shopping in the £10-20m price bracket (possibly more for a striker) and we have to trust that Johan Lange will unearth some hidden gems. We can talk potential until the cows come home, but currently we are not dining at the top table and cannot enjoy the luxury of squandering £40m on a Seb Haller or a Joelinton.

IMHO we will require 4-5 improvements within the team and in order to do this we will need at least 8 signings. Some will be youngsters for the future, some will be risks but at least 3 of them need to hit the ground running and improve the team.

What I'm reading on this thread leans towards spending a fortune for the here and now. The reality is that we will invest in younger, unproven, risky purchases as they fit our budget and our wage structure (currently). They will probably be from abroad and have little or no PL experience (in the main).

I'm interested in the journey, I accept that Aston Villa will have to build a team - not an easy thing to do btw. JF suggests we should aim high with a big name manager for which I can see both positives and negatives - yes he could attract more expensive players with a reputation which is extremely costly and could leave us with baggage.

My hope is that we unearth the next Sadio Mané, not purchase Divock Origi. We unfortunately have to look for value, take risks and find our next Christian Benteke. I know that isn't making friends out there and I know that mistakes will be made. We are at least shopping in the £10-20m price bracket (possibly more for a striker) and we have to trust that Johan Lange will unearth some hidden gems. We can talk potential until the cows come home, but currently we are not dining at the top table and cannot enjoy the luxury of squandering £40m on a Seb Haller or a Joelinton.

IMHO we will require 4-5 improvements within the team and in order to do this we will need at least 8 signings. Some will be youngsters for the future, some will be risks but at least 3 of them need to hit the ground running and improve the team.

Think you're right. At least, I think that's mainly in line with how the owners see it.

Seem to remember them saying that splashing out a fortune on existing top stars wasn't the way to do it; we need to develop our own stars. They also said that establishing our own style, our own way of playing was key, and that would dictate what players we bought and what coaching staff we employed, indeed how our whole development and coaching side worked.

Fair enough, but I think there are two issues which go along with that. One is that the head coach / manager can make a big difference to how fast and how well the first team players develop. The reality is that we're in the PL and the coach has to do both that and ensure we progress as well. Question is whether DS and his team is the right choice or whether we need somebody like Poch. Getting Poch might be money very well spent.

The other issue is that you need quality to survive in the PL, and we don't have enough of it. Bargain basement players are unlikely to provide the quality we need right now.

Yeah, I do agree and its not just the Chelsea youngsters either - same could be said for quite a few. They get too much at a young age and lose the desire to push themselves to be the best they can.
Loftus-Cheek has so much talent though, I think the problem will be wages. If as someone else pointed out he is on £140k a week already, there aren't many teams who will be willing to match or improve on that for him