The Official Stockport County Match Thread (Sponsored by Estrella Damm "for all your après ski needs") | Page 7 | Vital Football

The Official Stockport County Match Thread (Sponsored by Estrella Damm "for all your après ski needs")

I was fine with seeing Harris go but, if Harris was in charge of that everyone would have kicked off about how wholly negative that was at home. This was a team that just took a 4-0 beating by Tranmere, fck me why are we desperate to set up for a point at home against them? Jake Turner being instructed by Clemence with a minute to go to boot it to the lines / hold onto it and run down the clock, it’s just madness we need to win these games.

Great defensive performance from Gills. Champions elect have failed to score against us in 180+ minutes of football. Has any other team achieved that against Stockport? RE booing at the end is a disgrace.

Didn't look that threatening going forward but we had the best chance of the game and Nadesan fluffed it. He should have buried it and if he had I'm sure we'd have got all three points.

We probably didn't deserve to win because we didn't do enough going forward but we definitely deserved the clean sheet and therefore the point. And in isolation it's a good point well earned. But in the context of the three points we've just lost (2 v Swindon and 1 v Newport) it's not enough.

So overall although I'm proud of the team tonight I'm feeling (once again) pretty disappointed and despondent. Maybe be 5pm Saturday things will look better, IF we can beat Wrexham and other results go in our favour.

UTG!

Just had a look at the league table, only 10 teams realistically in with a chance of 7th place.

Or only 8 teams without a realistic chance of being in the frame for promotion.

Last edited:
We were at home, we should have gone for it. If our aim was one point then we achieved it , just. However, Stockport`s weakness in recent games has been vulnerability in the air in their own box - maybe Hawks should have started !

Having said that, we are so poor up front - our current front three look like average National League forwards. Hopefully the Brum lad can join the ranks soon.

Poor entertainment value.
I agree but only the final table will decide if that was a good point or not.

We absolutely lacked any attacking intent. If harris was sacked because galinson wanted entertaining football then clemence has some explaining to do.

If we are still in touch with the playoffs come march then season is still alive BUT we have zero attacking threat other than set pieces. Nadesan, walker, clarke and the midfield offer zero goal threat.

Last edited:
Good point for me. Lot's of murmers about our set up but what real options did we have against the top side stung by their manager to prove their worth?
Our limited attacking options were correct with bringing Hawkes on after an hour to shake it up a bit.
Stockport had 3 gilt edge chances and luckily wasted all of them. We had one, well saved.
That's 4 points taken off the league leaders and not 2 points dropped.
We will be well set up for Saturday and I expect that set up to change again.
We're still in the hunt!

I agree but only the final table will decide if that was a good point or not.

We absolutely lacked any attacking intent. If harris was sacked because galinson wanted entertaining football then clemence has some explaining to do.

If we sre still in touch with the playoffs ilcome march then season is still alive BUT we have zero attackibg threat other than set pieces. Nadesan walker, clarke offer zero goal threat.
Interestingly, the Stockport forum was largely convinced that the Gills would win tonight as they`ve been playing so poorly. Another couple that I know mentioned to me that we would give their defence a hard time (with Hawkins, Masterson and the likes) as they`ve been so poor defending high balls and it had cost them big time in recent games. Stockport rushed Horsfall down to Kent today (the team were down there yesterday) as Chally was so keen to bolster the back line - Horsfall, a central defender, had been unwell for several days.

Hopefully the Brum lad will do well and maybe even Jorge will recover. We`re not out of it yet !

Not a great watch & a game that is unlikely to live long in the memory.

Bottom line is though it was a point & clean sheet against the league leaders.

Dare one say that before kick off most of us would have grabbed tonight's result if offered.

Gritty performance that got better as the game progressed. Although admittedly a low bar applied.

Clarke as a centre forward from the start didn't work & he looked as confused about his role as we did watching. However, having witnessed Nadesan's indifferent contribution as sub perhaps I kind of understand Clemence's selection.

Stockport were solid & looked more of a team with their movement. By comparison yet again we looked more like a collection of individuals.

Important not to lose tonight so in that regard mission accomplished.

Another abject performance. We were told that Clemence would bring exciting football, but for some reason we still distribute it to the centre halves who immediately look to kick it long?

The only bright spark has been the 76 minutes Hurtado played across his 3 appearances. There's no desire to press or actually hunt the ball down and play progressive football. Dreadful.

The first half was generally woeful and Walker seems determined to show us why we don’t rate him. Likewise Clarke. However I thought the defence was very good throughout. There was some exceptional stuff in the first half from Clark and similarly from Ogie in the second. We really restricted Stockport to very little. Swabey (the ref) was as bizarre as ever. One particularly at the end with the defender at Williams’ back, Williams goes down and apparently that’s a free kick for Stockport. Overall I’m not taking that as 2 points lost. However, it again demonstrates the almost complete absence of attacking ability. And I’m not just talking about the strikers. It’s the inability of the whole team to attack the opposition box. We did a little in the last 20 minutes but all too little, too late.

A shame Hawkins wasn’t fit to start, you saw tonight how weak we are up top when he doesn’t play. I think after Stockport’s last results if we’d put some pressure on them we could have got the win, but never really looked like doing anything until the last 20 mins with Hawkins and Nadesan on and even then there was nothing from open play, just some pressure from set pieces and second phases of play from these.
First half there was a gulf between the teams but luckily Stockport were wasteful in front of goal.
If we really set out to get the 0-0 then you have to say the plan worked, but it was a dour watch.

The first half was generally woeful and Walker seems determined to show us why we don’t rate him. Likewise Clarke. However I thought the defence was very good throughout. There was some exceptional stuff in the first half from Clark and similarly from Ogie in the second. We really restricted Stockport to very little. Swabey (the ref) was as bizarre as ever. One particularly at the end with the defender at Williams’ back, Williams goes down and apparently that’s a free kick for Stockport. Overall I’m not taking that as 2 points lost. However, it again demonstrates the almost complete absence of attacking ability. And I’m not just talking about the strikers. It’s the inability of the whole team to attack the opposition box. We did a little in the last 20 minutes but all too little, too late.
There certainly seems to be a problem with Gills passing the ball quickly, and with accuracy. Similarly having made the pass not a lot of movement into space for an easy return. At times, when the midfield are supporting the forwards, a huge gap seems to develop between them and the defence.
All things for the coaching staff to work on

Tuesday night games no good for me. I teach. Having not endured it, I'm content with a draw and relieved not to be greeted by us having lost 1:0.