The Official Steve Bruce Thread | Page 181 | Vital Football

The Official Steve Bruce Thread

Was only think of the games leading up to his dismissal. I was at the Swansea game and this feels very similar.

That's fine Merd what will be will be, please don't bracket Bruce alongside Sherwood though. Bruce has achieved a lot at villa whereas in my humble Sherwood got the job by default via the nob Tom Fox and achieved sweet fuck all culminating in the most embarrassing fa cup final I can recall

Lot of Sherwood hate, he took over with us in 19th, won 5, lost 7, drew 1 to keep us up (we'd won 5 games, lost 13, drew 7 leading up to his appointment).

Was he great, hell no, was he an embarassment, hell no.

Lot of Sherwood hate, he took over with us in 19th, won 5, lost 7, drew 1 to keep us up (we'd won 5 games, lost 13, drew 7 leading up to his appointment).

I just didn't like his jack the lad approach. I don't dislike him and it's not personal as I don't know him , but he was not qualified for the job whatsoever. Ridiculous appointment by Tom Fox

Sherwood did a great short term job in keeping us up and getting to the cup final and I'll always be grateful for that. He never should have been allowed to continue after the final though. Probably the worst cup final performance in history and a major embarrassment that we'll not live down. Let's not forget the 6-1 loss at Southampton and the 1-0 loss at home to relegated Burnley that preceeded it. He got us safe then switched off.

I'm not going to touch on the disasters that followed the cup final as its too depressing but he certainly played a big part in us going down. If he'd been shown the door that summer he and us would have been much better off. We Could have started again and maybe even made a half decent managerial appointment for once (yeah right) or at least just not signed Richards and Lescott. He would have left having been seen as the man who kept us up and would probably have been able to get at least 1 job off the back of it.

Sherwood was a fire fighter.

Came in put the relegation fire out and should have then gone. Did what we needed .
But with the added bonus of probably my favourite week of being a villa fan in recent times. Those two wins in 5 days over the Tesco bags were a thing of beauty.

Cup final was also a bonus and I honestly thought we were going to win it. Which is why I felt worse after the cup final than I did over the play off final , well ok slightly worse !.
But in hindsight the hammering at Saints, the loss v Wigan then the cup final were the writing on the wall and he should have gone at the end of the season.

The 2 wins in a week over the Albion ranks is one of my best ever as well melon. I had plenty of Baggies braying on Facebook and at work that they were going to relegate us then beat us on the way to Wembley. The roar that greeted the awarding of that penalty and Bentekes cool finish was spine tingling. The cup win was an incredible experience as well, that and the semi final really made me think we were seeing the light at the end of a dark few years. Hopefully that light will come soon.

Sherwood was a fire fighter.

Came in put the relegation fire out and should have then gone. Did what we needed .
But with the added bonus of probably my favourite week of being a villa fan in recent times. Those two wins in 5 days over the Tesco bags were a thing of beauty.

Cup final was also a bonus and I honestly thought we were going to win it. Which is why I felt worse after the cup final than I did over the play off final , well ok slightly worse !.
But in hindsight the hammering at Saints, the loss v Wigan then the cup final were the writing on the wall and he should have gone at the end of the season.

Ben Foster came into one of our restaurants the next morning for breakfast after the league game and it took every ounce of self-control I possess not to go and have a word with him :lol:

Best moment for years when Benteke stroked in that penalty - I ended up about 6 rows further down the Holte End than when he took it, hugging total strangers with tears in my eyes.

What a sad case.

:off: - apologies for the trip down memory lane.

Back to Brucie - meh.

Sherwood did a great short term job in keeping us up and getting to the cup final and I'll always be grateful for that. He never should have been allowed to continue after the final though. Probably the worst cup final performance in history and a major embarrassment that we'll not live down. Let's not forget the 6-1 loss at Southampton and the 1-0 loss at home to relegated Burnley that preceeded it. He got us safe then switched off.

I'm not going to touch on the disasters that followed the cup final as its too depressing but he certainly played a big part in us going down. If he'd been shown the door that summer he and us would have been much better off. We Could have started again and maybe even made a half decent managerial appointment for once (yeah right) or at least just not signed Richards and Lescott. He would have left having been seen as the man who kept us up and would probably have been able to get at least 1 job off the back of it.

Nope, sacking Sherwood that summer wouldn't have made the slightest bit of difference. We'd have still lost the spine of our team, and made the same crap signings. Sherwood was faced with, and any new manager would have been faced with, the conviction by the club that they knew what they were doing, especially when it came to signings.

It is scary isn`t it - due to what he has had to do this week, i think we should lay off the guy but dear me........

Nope, sacking Sherwood that summer wouldn't have made the slightest bit of difference. We'd have still lost the spine of our team, and made the same crap signings. Sherwood was faced with, and any new manager would have been faced with, the conviction by the club that they knew what they were doing, especially when it came to signings.

But the worst of the bunch were Richards and Lescott, signed by Sherwood. Plus I don't believe for 1 second that he has nothing to do with all the signings made that summer. The man's a bullshitter plain and simple. The sooner he was out the better. Same for the people who were running things behind the scenes as well. I just hope these new guys can finally get us back on track.

If it weren’t true, I’d accuse half the posters on here of plagiarism.
Yeah we are supposed to debate, but end up becoming entrenched. Some diverse viewpoints on here that show us you can never get a room full of Villains to agree, let alone the fanbase.

Edit: this was in response to crosswesleyanchapel's link, see below.

Very interesting.

What we really need is Guardiola, but if that proves impossible...

I want a manager who can do three things:-
1) get the team operating as a true team, which knows what it should be doing in all areas of the pitch. That requires high quality coaching.
2) get the individual players playing to their potential and beyond, so that they go out onto the field with confidence. Again that requires high quality coaching.
3) know how to get the youth players progressing into the first team, so that we're using them rather than getting in loanees of the same age.

Garcia seems the right sort of manager.

Last edited:
The more you read and think about his actions, the more you realise that it's just a question of whether our hopes for the season are over before he leaves.

Given the nature of our defensive situation, making the playoffs would be a major achievement. Doesn't matter what attacking talent you have if your defence looks likely to concede at every opposition attack.

Quite unbelievable that he made pretty much the exact same mistakes at Sunderland. It's that he should be thinking about, not bragging about promotions.

The more you read and think about his actions, the more you realise that it's just a question of whether our hopes for the season are over before he leaves.

Given the nature of our defensive situation, making the playoffs would be a major achievement. Doesn't matter what attacking talent you have if your defence looks likely to concede at every opposition attack.

Quite unbelievable that he made pretty much the exact same mistakes at Sunderland. It's that he should be thinking about, not bragging about promotions.

If Bruce went and JT signed on today, it would make no difference to our defence until January.
The only players we can sign are free agents.
And that leaves a choice of a 37/8 year old who never had any pace, who's got slower.
A 35 year old pisshead or a 34 year old whose injured.
None of them are matchfit, so give that another 6 weeks and we're at the end of October.
So we'd only get 2 months out of any of them before the January window opens up.
Hardly worth it is it, as by the time any of them got fit enough to play a 90 minute match, our season will be over as far as promotion goes.