The Official Steve Bruce Thread | Page 182 | Vital Football

The Official Steve Bruce Thread

Dr Tony was accused of gambling with the club. Well, letting a recognised centre-back out on loan to a rival club on the chance that you could get a centre-back from Scotland or France was a huge gamble. We are all aware of the outcomes of Xia's gamble and I think that we are likely to be seeing the outcomes of Bruce's gambles in the coming weeks and months.
I can only see another season in the Championship to be fair

Even the Championship has now bypassed Steve Bruce with better tactics, organisation and other managers conducting thoughtful transfers while he still clings on to his negative hoofball simply because he knows no other way and transfer methods that end up embarrassing for the club and leaves the squad totally unbalanced.

Whilst I fully respect our new owners I have to admit that for the first time I'm disappointed with them that they didn't use this 2-week break to ask him and Clemence to go and replace him even with a temporary combination of say Calderwood (who was supposed to be a good coach at Brighton) and Agnew.

They couldn't be as bad as the Bruce/Clemence combination and it would at least give the players a lift and a feeling of starting on a level playing field.

Last edited:
I think it's fair to say Bruce is no fan of Tommy Elphick:

“The manager gave his blessing for me to go out on loan without many centre-halves in the building so that says all you need to know.

“The last two league games I played for Steve, we beat Bristol City 5-1 and he took me out, then we beat Hull 3-1, I scored and he took me out again. The writing was on the wall after that.”

https://goo.gl/eN77jL

Take the goal out of his performance at Hull and everyone would be saying Tommy had a shocker. I dont blame Bruce for not rating him, I and many others dont either. Just wrong not to get another CB in to replace him.

Ryan Giggs from what a saw has transformed Wales in a heartbeat. They ran rings around Martin No deal, last night.
Shows what a manager can do in a short space of time

Bruce's job is to manage the squad players at his disposal for the benefit of the club.

Elphick wanted to leave during the latter half of last season and would have left at the beginning of the transfer window had Bruce let him. Playing him in the pre season, and the lack of other centre halves at the club, probably led him to believe that he had a chance to establish himself.

His performances have been no worse than those of Chester and Jedinak this season and in general nowhere near as bad as some make out.

The list of player's alienated by SB continues to grow. Elphick has been a model professional in terms of attitude. I hope he gets to play regularly this season and wish him well.

Sitting on the bench watching Jedinak and his impressions of a centre half and knowing he was preferred to you in your position, I would have been pushing for a move too.

I had high hopes for Tommy when he came in and when he started off with performances like at Sheff Wed in the first game of the first season.
It must be tough to play when you know very well that it matter how well you do the manager doesn’t rate you. Not a great confidence booster and environment to play well.

Do not rate Elphick and never have. Do not like Bruces ideas nor his tactics,but far as I am concerned Elphick was little better than Jedinak.
Bruce has known about the CB position since the end of the season when Terry & Samba left.
and has done nothing apart from a last day panic.

Do not rate Elphick and never have. Do not like Bruces ideas nor his tactics,but far as I am concerned Elphick was little better than Jedinak.
Bruce has known about the CB position since the end of the season when Terry & Samba left.
and has done nothing apart from a last day panic.

If, as you say, Elphick was little better than Jedinak, then surely he should play instead of Jedinak, given the choice?

Jedinak is one of the worst impressions of a CB that I've seen. Worse than Lescott/Richards. He doesn't know or doesn't want to know what's required. There's no linking up with Chester. He drifts wide, sometimes wider than Hutton. When someone shoots the CBs should at least try to block the shot; he stands and watches it fizzle pass.

Elphick little better than Jedinak? Elphick's way better. Elphick understands what a CB's job is even if occasionally he makes mistakes.

Elphick is a car crash god bless him and I hope it works out at Hull, jedinak is not a centre half.

SB has totally failed to get the best out of Elphick and McCormack, players he inherited. Nor Hogan, Hourihane, Lansbury, Bjarnasson, and Taylor - players he spent £30m on in January 2017. Now add Adomah to that list, and all the comments of everyone on the current defensive shambles. Finally, to cap it all, the last time he played his second choices, against Burton, they made him "physically sick" to watch, while his first choices "didn't even put their boots on". What more is there to say?

Steve bruce is useless, it's just a matter if Time and hopefully very soon. His supporters swim in quick sand with knowhere to go.

SB has totally failed to get the best out of Elphick and McCormack, players he inherited. Nor Hogan, Hourihane, Lansbury, Bjarnasson, and Taylor - players he spent £30m on in January 2017. Now add Adomah to that list, and all the comments of everyone on the current defensive shambles. Finally, to cap it all, the last time he played his second choices, against Burton, they made him "physically sick" to watch, while his first choices "didn't even put their boots on". What more is there to say?
Yesterday’s man, yesterday’s tactics. Time to hang up the managers sheepskin coat and get on the telly talking about jumpers for goal posts, isn’t it?