The Official Steve Bruce Thread | Page 81 | Vital Football

The Official Steve Bruce Thread

If Bruce were to go (and I don't think he will and he won't be sacked either) Then I would have Dean Smith all day long

I think over the past 10 years there has been a big change in the way football is played. It’s all about passing, possession and attacking through the middle and watching us at Wembley yesterday just looked like a team from 2018 vs a team from 2005, especially in the first half.

Our squad has a good number premier league players for this level, Chester, Terry, Jedinak, Snodgrass, Grealish, Fulham only have 3 or 4 players I have even heard of, the only player in their squad with any decent premier league experience is mitrovic who was a flop (although Sessegnon will probably do well) so you would have to argue we have better players we were just completely out done by better approach to the game. We all said we wanted to avoid Fulham and we all know why - they know how play better football than us.

And this isn’t just a rant about a one off match, it’s been the case all season. We are too predictable, we have made more crosses than any one else in the league, and we are too slow both in terms of the build up play and specific pace of the individual players

It’s time for a new approach. Get a modern manager in who wants to build the team around dynamic young players not old and slow has beens

I don't think he's going anywhere unfortunately. I like him as a person but in my opinion he's the man responsible for us not going up.

As for who I'd want to replace him I'm not really sure. The so called experienced, safe hands options I wouldn't touch with a barge pole. Allerdyce wouldn't come anyway and I despise him so wouldn't want him. Moyes has turned us down 2 or 3 times I think? No thank you.

Last time we needed a manager I voted for Wagner in the poll and I and the others who'd wanted him were mocked as not understanding football outside of a ps4 game. No clue who I'd go for this time but as I said I don't think Bruce is going anyway.

I think over the past 10 years there has been a big change in the way football is played. It’s all about passing, possession and attacking through the middle and watching us at Wembley yesterday just looked like a team from 2018 vs a team from 2005, especially in the first half.

Our squad has a good number premier league players for this level, Chester, Terry, Jedinak, Snodgrass, Grealish, Fulham only have 3 or 4 players I have even heard of, the only player in their squad with any decent premier league experience is mitrovic who was a flop (although Sessegnon will probably do well) so you would have to argue we have better players we were just completely out done by better approach to the game. We all said we wanted to avoid Fulham and we all know why - they know how play better football than us.

And this isn’t just a rant about a one off match, it’s been the case all season. We are too predictable, we have made more crosses than any one else in the league, and we are too slow both in terms of the build up play and specific pace of the individual players

It’s time for a new approach. Get a modern manager in who wants to build the team around dynamic young players not old and slow has beens

Who then ?

I think Thomas Holte has just answered that question SirDen.

We were told 3 years ago, we were creating a Villa engine and all teams would play the same from age 5 to first team so that if a manager left, a man would be brought in to fit that model, not the other way round.

Now, from the outside, that seems to have worked at every level apart from the first team -so, in short, maybe we don't know who - but Steve Round has been paid for three years to know that

As I said, promote Delaney - that would be my option (I bloody loved him as a player, Hutton with ability - and it was a crying shame his injuries stopped him becoming a true great player

Yes but it's the easiest thing in the world to say sack him , get rid if you have an opinion on the current manager , then surely you should have an opinion on who should replace him. Delaney would be a massive gamble , he isn't even manager of the U-23's .

My point is we are outsiders to a lot of things but we are fans with opinions so we can only nominate a replacement from what we know or see. I would go for Dean Smith as said.

I wouldn't mind Dean Smith SirDennis. He's over achieved at both Walsall and Brentford. And pretty much every season he loses his best players and crafts a new side that does as well. Sounds a lot like what seems likely to happen at villa park now.

We know exactly how a Bruce team will play and so do the opposition, thanks for stabilising the club and goodbye.
We now have a proper management structure that can allow a younger more forward thinking manager to ply his trade and allow the younger players to come through. Football has moved on and so are we at all levels apart from the 1st team it would seem.
Dean Smith would be my choice.

My Post from the Fulham thread maybe better in here.

Well, were do we go from here?
I think before the knee jerk reactions it would be good to reflect on where we were 2 seasons ago. I know the Premiership is the golden tit of English football and god bless all who suck on it, but the reality we were relegated from the Premiership because we were not good enough. I dont think if we were promoted yesterday we were good enough to stay up without a "Manchester City type transfer budget"

Since 2011 16th-15th-15th-17th-20th and 13th in the Championship.
Those were fucking hard shitty seasons, a tough time for those paying hard earned cash at the gates week after fucking dreary week.

Last season was so much better, beating the whining twats of Bristol City, Cardiff, Fulham and Champions Wolves at Villa Park.

I think the point Im trying to make is the football (at times) was so much better, we had little runs or 7 or 8 games unbeated and I hink the players, club and supporters got carried away when we battered Wolves by believing we only had to turn up to get promoted, the results after beating Wolves were woeful.

Lots of players out and a few players in, thats how its going to be with the club recieving their last parachute payment (Im sure it was for 3 seasons after relegation) The club is still rebuilding after the "Lerner Years" and maybe not going up was not the worst thing in the world as the club continues to rebuild.

There
There is supposed to be a Villa model and system instaled by Steve Round & Co from the kids up to the first team and it seems to work until it reaches the first team and the way the team is instructed to play.

It just doesn't seem to be Steve Bruce's policy to introduce our talented younger players into the first team as he only wants to play what he considers tried and tested old pro's in order to eliminate the risk factor and not lose at any cost which in turn makes our style of play rather negative and very predictable to play against because he won't deviate from these methods.

Ryan Sessegnon turned 18 last week and was given a chance by a positive thinking manager could you really see Bruce doing that!?

I respect those who think SB and his coaching team should remain in charge however how you think our style and SB himself will somehow suddenly change from what he has done throughout his managerial career ready for next season is beyond me.

We needed a Steve Bruce to stabilise the club and in that respect, he has done a sterling job but sadly his managerial limitations are now exposed for all to see and for me anyway, it's time to say thanks Steve and find a manger that will fit the new Aston Villa model and we can see real progression of the club from the 15-year-olds right up to the first team 11.

Agree with the vast majority of this TH. I like Steve Bruce and respect how he has faced the terrible personal circumstances he has worked under this year. However, as a manager I don't see him changing his style or approach any time soon. If he stays, so will his philosophy. Experience, loans , play it wide, crosses etc etc.
For me his philosophy when deploying strikers has been telling. We all agreed that one of the successes of the season was the spell Davis had. However, instead of keeping him involved and giving him time to improve from the bench. He was left out completely, a 30 year old who blows hot and cold, an overpriced failure with limited talent and a talented yet selfish individual were all preferred and suffered the same criticism as Davis. Not enough goals from the percentage system of throwing crosses into the box.

Whilst this may well get us promoted at some point, IMO had we won the final, next season would have required an almost complete overhaul with only Grealish, Chester and Johnstone being good enough. For that reason, we are probably about to lose all three of them. So, will the same approach work without that core, but with a fresh set of loans and experience, maybe, maybe not.

For me, a fresh approach that enables us to not just win but dominate games in a style that benefits the ability of our players will be the one that sees us have the best chance of survival should we gain promotion. Just don't ask me who

We know exactly how a Bruce team will play and so do the opposition, thanks for stabilising the club and goodbye.
We now have a proper management structure that can allow a younger more forward thinking manager to ply his trade and allow the younger players to come through. Football has moved on and so are we at all levels apart from the 1st team it would seem.
Dean Smith would be my choice.

Young forward thinking manager is that what they said about Tim Sherwood?

Gerard Houlier 1 year
Boring McLeish 1 year
Dick Lambert 3 years (fans choice at the time)
Sherwood,Garde 1 season between them
Dimatteo 6 months

Swopping the manager is OK if you can go 5 or 6 managers before you find someone who can start taking the club forward, I think in Bruce we have that manager.

Young forward thinking manager is that what they said about Tim Sherwood?
Oh ffs can we keep the conversation on a grown up level. We have a proper management structure now with some good people in place, we have a youth structure and it looks like some of those youngsters will come through so maybe a manager that has plied his trade in this or a lower division with younger players is what we need, someone like Dean Smith not someone like a cockney chancer who was all fart and no shit.

As for going back to houlier, the club was a shambles and in fairness to him he identified gabby, dunne and so on as being a waste of space. We are not a shambles of a club any more but the manager we have is tactically limited and 4th in the championship is his best effort in two seasons.

Oh ffs can we keep the conversation on a grown up level. We have a proper management structure now with some good people in place, we have a youth structure and it looks like some of those youngsters will come through so maybe a manager that has plied his trade in this or a lower division with younger players is what we need, someone like Dean Smith not someone like a cockney chancer who was all fart and no shit.

The more I think about, the more I agree with you. Trouble is, despite his over reliance on experience, Bruce's big achievement has been the stability and professionalism that his older players have brought. That, we cannot afford to lose, even though fresh financial circumstances suggest a fresh approach is needed.