The Official Steve Bruce Thread | Page 80 | Vital Football

The Official Steve Bruce Thread

Going to be a very emotionnal time for him. Sadly sometime having a parent pass means they are out of suffering, I see it is reported that she has had "a terrible 3 monhs of illness" When my old man Franko passed it was a blessing, kidney failure, strokes and the fact that he had fallen out of the hospital bed and broken his collar bone and arm......

His passing was a blessing and I hope it was the same for Mrs Bruce.
Thought with Bruce and the Bruce family its always sad but not always the worst ....

Full credit to him for attending the match tomorrow. Rough having your parents go in such a short space of time. I know with my Dad when he croaked it the 2 weeks he was ill in hospital felt like a year and in the end when he went getting out and doing something normal again brought relief so it will probably do Bruce some good.

Having said that Millwall away is the last thing you need at the best of times.

So want the team to do it for us, the fans. But also, massively want them to stand up, each and every one of them, and do it for the boss.

Great banner, he deserves everyone’s utmost respect whether we go up or down after what he’s gone through the last few months. He’s kept going to work whereas anyone else would have a fair bit of time off.

Fair play to Brucie. I would hope the players have enough about them not to need much of a team talk. The personal circumstances which Bruce has faced over the past couple of months should be enough of a motivator for them to go out and get the job done.

Well, it is going to be the main topic over the next few weeks.

Do we stick with Bruce, or do we look for yet another saviour - and if so, who.

I will try and create a poll, and if I can't work it out, can Fear or someone help please

My thoughts are 50/50 and it really depends on whago.t direction we need to go.

1. If we can manage to keep most of the loanees - lets say , Snodgrass, Grabban, Tuanzebe, Terry (not strictly a loan), Hutton (ditto) etc... , in fact, I would say the majority of this squad, minus Johnstone, Grealish, Onomah, Chester - who I think will definately go, I would say keep Bruce.

My reasoning is, lets face it, our season ended before it began, those frst 10 games cost us any chance of automatic, and, if all those players stayed, I would not expect the same again in August, so think we would be strong challengers for Automatic - and upheavel would be harmful.

2. If all those players go - which lets face it, is highly likely, then a totally new direction, philosophy and playing style is needed - and Bruce is not the man. In my eyes, he has done the job he was brought into do - to sort out the mess. He has done it , and for that, he has my gratitude, but if a new squad is needed, it is time to say Thanks and goodbye, and get someone with a fresh approach.

Personally, I want to go leftfield. The obvious names sticking out is Allerdyce, and Moyes and I really like both, but that is just making the same mistake again in my eyes - time to go different.

If we can find a Silva, or a Jokanovic somewhere, then do that, but if we can't, go the way of Southampton, Wigan, Bournemouth etc...

Promote Mark Delaney, bring in a No.2 (names of Petrov, Mellberg, Laursen etc... come to mind) and bring through the youth - it worked for the FA (so far) or, for example, the Shrewsbury / Lincoln type manager - gamble ? -yes - but we have had the most experienced managers possible over the last 10 years - Hoillier, Lambert , Bruce - and that hasn't worked.

Ironically - what we really could do with at this moment, is a Tim Sherwood type manager (for clarity - not Tim Sherwood himself - but that type !)

Last edited:
There is supposed to be a Villa model and system instaled by Steve Round & Co from the kids up to the first team and it seems to work until it reaches the first team and the way the team is instructed to play.

It just doesn't seem to be Steve Bruce's policy to introduce our talented younger players into the first team as he only wants to play what he considers tried and tested old pro's in order to eliminate the risk factor and not lose at any cost which in turn makes our style of play rather negative and very predictable to play against because he won't deviate from these methods.

Ryan Sessegnon turned 18 last week and was given a chance by a positive thinking manager could you really see Bruce doing that!?

I respect those who think SB and his coaching team should remain in charge however how you think our style and SB himself will somehow suddenly change from what he has done throughout his managerial career ready for next season is beyond me.

We needed a Steve Bruce to stabilise the club and in that respect, he has done a sterling job but sadly his managerial limitations are now exposed for all to see and for me anyway, it's time to say thanks Steve and find a manger that will fit the new Aston Villa model and we can see real progression of the club from the 15-year-olds right up to the first team 11.

I like Bruce and I wouldn’t mind him staying another season (Or however long Dr. Tone gives him), he’s gone through a lot lately which he’s done well to work through and he’s also done well to turn us around from where we were last year. But overall it has ended disappointingly and after yesterday’s no show I wouldn’t mind seeing a change and that change for me would be Dean Smith.