The Official Salford City Match Thread (Sponsored by the Class of 92 "for all your investment-seeking needs") | Page 9 | Vital Football

The Official Salford City Match Thread (Sponsored by the Class of 92 "for all your investment-seeking needs")

I'd just like to add a wee bit of praise for our Max Ehmer who has been going about his business in an unassuming manner and yet has been getting in all the right places at the right time. He reads the game so well but seems to go under the radar a bit when it comes to praising him for the job he does for us.

MAX: you are a trooper mate and we are lucky to have you!!!.

Last edited:
I'd just like to add a wee bit of praise for our Max Ehmer who has been going about his business in an unassuming manner and yet has been getting in all the right places at the right time. He reads the game so well and seems to go inder the radar a bit.

I've been critical of Max earlier in season being the weakest of the 3 central defenders individually, but when he isn't there you notice our defence is weaker without him. Maybe he has better communication with Materson & Ogie than they have with each other.

Harsh. He tackled the player to win the ball, got to the byline, steadied and picked out Dieng. Without the deflection it still would have made it to Dieng.

Should be given an assist. I thought, similar to a goal, where if a shot is deflected but would have gone in anyway it’s given to the striker.
I think he was looking for Hawkins at the far post, but the pass deflected off the defender’s heel and fell perfectly for Dieng. Clearer from this angle:

Was thinking this myself this morning.

We look much more confident as a unit. Coupled with some key players getting a run of games and hitting form.

I’m thinking Max Clark, Dieng, Johnny Williams, Hawk.

We all knew they were good players but possibly the constant chopping and changing trying to fit them all in to a system, and rotating with Lapslie, Mahoney, Jeffries, Jayden Clarke, Did us no favours. In this sense it’s possible that the recent injuries maybe led to a more settled side.

Would agree that Nadesan did great for the second goal too. Again, a little run of games with a regular partner and a bit of confidence will do him good. Would like to see him get a goal soon. That would help him tenfold.

I’ve been particularly impressed with Max Clark’s transformation. He was dreadful earlier in the season. Now he is first pick, deservedly ahead of Malone.

Generous if so. Without that deflection it wouldn't have gone anywhere near Dieng :-)

He certainly wasn't aiming it Diengs direction - maybe to Hawkins

True. Having seen that other view it does take a big deflection. I think he was maybe aiming for whoever that was running in behind Hawkins.

Very good performance, one of our most complete of the season. Defensively as sound as ever, but we looked good going forward as well. Arguably could have had 1 more. We managed the conditions well too. I know he doesn't score or assist many (so far anyway) but I really do like Williams, he is an absolute work horse - and makes us better with him in the team imo.

I'd just like to add a wee bit of praise for our Max Ehmer who has been going about his business in an unassuming manner and yet has been getting in all the right places at the right time. He reads the game so well but seems to go under the radar a bit when it comes to praising him for the job he does for us.

Yep, I'll jump on that.

I've been indifferent to Max at times but he was outstanding at Salford. Playing in the middle of the 3, he just has the smarts to drop off at times and sweep behind them. What he's lacking in pace at this stage, he can make up for in his uncanny knack of getting a foot in at the right moment. Really impressive outing.

For me it’s a lot to do with having the hawk back and playing regularly. With him as the focal point it everyone seems to be more comfortable with our shape and that In turn has lead to much more confident performances all round.

I’ve been particularly impressed with Max Clark’s transformation. He was dreadful earlier in the season. Now he is first pick, deservedly ahead of Malone.
Bit harsh to call him dreadful I think - he didn't play a full 90 mins until October, and then just twice more until January. Doubt there's too many players who could look outstanding at full back with that sort of fractured and limited game-time.

He is looking good in his role at the minute though which I suppose is definitely more important - and fair play him for biding his time and not kicking up a fuss.

Personally I'm not sure why theirs is all this discussion about the build up to the second goal. Was the pass intended or was there a deflection? Couldn't care either way to be honest. However the ball got to Dieng he put it in the back of the net. Only thing that matters for me.
I think it was because Sir Keefy was questioning why Nadesan had not been given the assist on the BBC Sport website report / stats. I had the same thought too until I watched the goal a few times, I guess if the ball deflects off a defender then it doesn’t count as an assist!
Still good we had 3 in the box at the time though which gives more chance of the ball falling for one of our players.

Personally I'm not sure why there's is all this discussion about the build up to the second goal. Was the pass intended or was there a deflection? Couldn't care either way to be honest. However the ball got to Dieng he put it in the back of the net. Only thing that matters for me.
Yup. goals win games and even if it had gone in after hitting someone on the derriere, I would still have cheered as if my life depended on it. Would have laughed out loud too, had it been one of the oppositions defenders.

Last edited: