The Official Salford City Match Thread (Sponsored by the Class of 92 "for all your investment-seeking needs") | Page 8 | Vital Football

The Official Salford City Match Thread (Sponsored by the Class of 92 "for all your investment-seeking needs")

It was such a relief when we appointed SC as some were calling for Robinson.

Almost as bad as Evans. Neither of them have ever lost a game in their own heads. At least the Scottish accent is not as irritating even of it is even harder to understand. :blah:

Great result and listening made an afternoon of wall paper stripping a lot more bearable. Avoid defeat on Tuesday and a return of at least 4 points from two away trips is what we need to maintain a promotion push.

With the table so tight and everyone beating everyone teams will be dropping points. We just need to keep picking them up. Point Tuesday and three on Saturday will keep us right up there.

Consistency the key word now - go on a run of being undefeated.

Lets hope we get a decent crowd in Saturday.

Great result and listening made an afternoon of wall paper stripping a lot more bearable. Avoid defeat on Tuesday and a return of at least 4 points from two away trips is what we need to maintain a promotion push.

With the table so tight and everyone beating everyone teams will be dropping points. We just need to keep picking them up. Point Tuesday and three on Saturday will keep us right up there.

Consistency the key word now - go on a run of being undefeated.

Lets hope we get a decent crowd in Saturday.
I will be in the Rainham end Saturday possibly see you there?
My old seat .My mate is away for this one.

Just watched the highlights - never a foul on their CB in a million years. Referee and Linesman, tip of the hat for seeing through it.
It’s so annoying seeing forwards being grappled, shirts ripped and there being no sign of a whistle but the tiniest touch on a defender immediately brings a free kick. So, absolutely it was nice to see a referee get it right. There’s a coming together but the defender obviously thinks if he collapses to the ground he’ll get the free kick. The big telltale is that when the goal goes in there’s not even the tiniest semblance of a protest from the defenders back on the line.

Yeah I’ve just watched it again and agree, no foul.
It was a dying swan act that the ref didn’t fall for.
However, seen them given many times.
Connor Ogilvie was an expert at it.

Shad’s also pretty good, though his is more the ability to draw the foul.

Another clean sheet and three more points - we`ve suddenly acquired look of "contenders".

Robinson`s going to be ultra defensive about his lads and, when SCFC lose, critical of ours and the ref - it`s what they do.

But, the "disputed" second goal was a really neat piece of play from GFC. I had a really good view (from the left side of our fans behind the goal, and Nads simply put the fear of god up their defender with his pace. With Hawks closing in and Nads executing a turbo charged diagonal, their defender simply couldn`t match the pace and fell over, possibly in a vain attempt at getting a free kick. The lino was in line and the ref had a good view - absolutely no foul. Fair to say that the ref had allowed the game to flow and there were several occasions, benefiting both sides, when he adjudged favourably on players using fair but physical strength to win an individual battle.

It`s now two wins from two visits to the Peninsula Stadium (won there last April) and my new February 2024 scarf is now P2 W2 F3 A0.

Edited to add that our back line, all five of them, were excellent yesterday, our goal was very well kept by Morris, Hawks was a giant and Jonny Williams was brilliant (again).

Anyone know, was Nads credited with the assist for the 2nd goal? Doesn’t look like it on all the online result services. Coleman was credited for the 1st.

Surely that was an assist even if it took a very slight deflection off the defender before Dieng smacked it home.

Doesn’t matter a jot, but think Nads deserves a bit of recognition.

Anyone know, was Nads credited with the assist for the 2nd goal? Doesn’t look like it on all the online result services. Coleman was credited for the 1st.

Surely that was an assist even if it took a very slight deflection off the defender before Dieng smacked it home.

No he wasn't, I think it was a clear enough deflection for it to be taken away from him. I think generally any kind of opposition contact before reaching the goalscorer means the assist is taken away but lower leagues sometimes get away with it a bit more.

No he wasn't, I think it was a clear enough deflection for it to be taken away from him. I think generally any kind of opposition contact before reaching the goalscorer means the assist is taken away but lower leagues sometimes get away with it a bit more.

Harsh. He tackled the player to win the ball, got to the byline, steadied and picked out Dieng. Without the deflection it still would have made it to Dieng.

Should be given an assist. I thought, similar to a goal, where if a shot is deflected but would have gone in anyway it’s given to the striker.

Last edited:
The thing that has led to our improvement is confidence and SC deserves praise for this. It is particularly noticeable in the form of one or two players who were regularly being criticised on here.
Was thinking this myself this morning.

We look much more confident as a unit. Coupled with some key players getting a run of games and hitting form.

I’m thinking Max Clark, Dieng, Johnny Williams, Hawk.

We all knew they were good players but possibly the constant chopping and changing trying to fit them all in to a system, and rotating with Lapslie, Mahoney, Jeffries, Jayden Clarke, Did us no favours. In this sense it’s possible that the recent injuries maybe led to a more settled side.

Would agree that Nadesan did great for the second goal too. Again, a little run of games with a regular partner and a bit of confidence will do him good. Would like to see him get a goal soon. That would help him tenfold.

Generous if so. Without that deflection it wouldn't have gone anywhere near Dieng :-)

He certainly wasn't aiming it Diengs direction - maybe to Hawkins

Harsh. He tackled the player to win the ball, got to the byline, steadied and picked out Dieng. Without the deflection it still would have made it to Dieng.

Should be given an assist. I thought, similar to a goal, where if a shot is deflected but would have gone in anyway it’s given to the striker.
His final ball might not have qualified him for an assist, but SC will know that the well executed diagonal sprint by Nads was, effectively, what made the goal.

IMO, Nads has struggled for a while now and even yesterday he was "head down" quite a lot and he was absolutely whacked from about the 60th minute onward. He clearly has great pace and when he gets his mojo back I suspect we could see more of what he contributed yesterday - pace to burn and pace that disturbs opposing defenders and creates goal scoring opportunities. Well done for yesterday, Nads. A confident Nads is a weapon !

His final ball might not have qualified him for an assist, but SC will know that the well executed diagonal sprint by Nads was, effectively, what made the goal.

IMO, Nads has struggled for a while now and even yesterday he was "head down" quite a lot and he was absolutely whacked from about the 60th minute onward. He clearly has great pace and when he gets his mojo back I suspect we could see more of what he contributed yesterday - pace to burn and pace that disturbs opposing defenders and creates goal scoring opportunities. Well done for yesterday, Nads. A confident Nads is a weapon !
Liked him from the getgo and although some of the comments about him were deserved. Like you, I think that if he does get his confidence back, he will be a real asset, both scoring goals and setting them up. Let's hope he's turned that corner.

I agree. He does seem to keep his head down a lot but with his skills, IMO he dovetails the best with the Hawk, even if everyone else was fit. They still haven't played together that much.

There has been some criticism of his close control but I don't think it is that bad and is always more difficult for those pace, which is what many on here were asking for.