The Official Morecambe Match Thread (Sponsored by Big V "for all your ex-player curse needs") | Page 6 | Vital Football

The Official Morecambe Match Thread (Sponsored by Big V "for all your ex-player curse needs")

Jack Tucker had another very good game IMO - prevented several goal bound efforts, especially in the first half and he`s also smart off the ball. Masterson, too, had a good game, best i`ve seen him play for GFC. And, TBF, Max upped his game yesterday as well. Morecambe`s attacking players are decent - keeping them down to one goal was no easy task. I don`t think they`ll go down though, being mercenary, I hope they do as if we go down it`s another fairly local game for me (in L2).

Think it was 280 Gills fans at the game - for the first time in a while I didn`t hear any anti-PS chanting - that was good.

Neil Harris is currently doing a really good job for us - even if we`re relegated (which seems probable) I believe that we`ll do well next season.

You’re talking rubbish unfortunately mate.
Tucker is one of the best defenders in league one and could certainly play at a higher level.
Every player makes mistakes.
Even £100 million players.
Overall Tucker is very good.
100 first team games at 22 is exceptional.
Masterson is a year older with less than 40 first team games, for context, mainly at a lower level.
Agree Tucker is a very decent player and hopefully will play higher

james watt (brewdog ceo) is a total arsehole

I support the brew dog team not the regime!

There is a lot of bad stuff coming out about working there. He pays himself handsomely. The product was brilliant in the early days but is crap now.
😁
Ironically it all went downhill after the investment they got! And scaled up.

They publish their recipes though which is very handy

Enjoyed watching the Gills today. Lots of effort, lousy conditions. Think a point is a decent reflection all considered.

I love my Gills - have followed for 30+ years. But sadly, this is a league two team at the moment. We have a few bright spots, no doubt. But we're just so thin on attacking quality, no matter what the team does to be resolute (it certainly was today- credit to the 3 CBs and to Chapman who made a great save at the end). V is obviously a L1 asset, but due respect to both CK and TDP, neither are ready for men's football yet, imo.

I'll follow the club regardless of what division we're in, but sadly it looks like the writing is on the wall at this level for now to me. A lack of another good striking option this year is going to come back to bite us.

As an aside, the muppets who were chanting that the stewards were fascists need to take a good long look in the mirror. They're an embarrassment to the football club.
Interesting you talk about the stewards. From what I have read on twitter, there are many long term Gills supporters who claim that they experienced the most heavy handed stewarding they had experienced in years on Saturday

Interesting you talk about the stewards. From what I have read on twitter, there are many long term Gills supporters who claim that they experienced the most heavy handed stewarding they had experienced in years on Saturday

There were some nob-heads among the Gills contingent. I was reliably informed that one of the young men ejected was earlier "giving it large" at the railway station. True to say that a good number of the stewards were big, burly types and didn`t back-off from addressing behaviour issues - but i`m not going to excuse a nob-head (GFC or otherwise) and it makes a change to see stewards actually doing something rather than just standing off all the time. It`s also true that Morecambe had a lot of crowd trouble at their last home game.

Sadly, and jogills mentioned this a little while back, there is more and more unsavoury behaviour creeping back into football crowds. It`s a worrying escalation. I often think that some players don`t help matters when they deliberately overtly taunt opposition supporters after scoring - they should rein it in too.

I was going to say that they had a lot of trouble V Bolton so were probably over sensitive.
Worst I’ve come across is at Pompey.

There were some nob-heads among the Gills contingent. I was reliably informed that one of the young men ejected was earlier "giving it large" at the railway station. True to say that a good number of the stewards were big, burly types and didn`t back-off from addressing behaviour issues - but i`m not going to excuse a nob-head (GFC or otherwise) and it makes a change to see stewards actually doing something rather than just standing off all the time. It`s also true that Morecambe had a lot of crowd trouble at their last home game.

Sadly, and jogills mentioned this a little while back, there is more and more unsavoury behaviour creeping back into football crowds. It`s a worrying escalation. I often think that some players don`t help matters when they deliberately overtly taunt opposition supporters after scoring - they should rein it in too.
Normally Lancs, and you know what I’ve been like on here recently, I’ve been scathing of our idiots. With Scally temporarily banning fans after Sunderland for either being idiots to other fans in Block 1 (rightly banned) or for singing Scally Out in the Factory at half time (wrongly banned if so IMO) the first attractive away games after were toxic. I remember Sheff Weds away hearing and seeing our lot fighting while walking from the station to Spoons at barely 11am.

That said, I was in the second from the back row in the block next to where it all kicked off yesterday. There were the odd idiot in that bit but there were also your Jim Case and others. I heard no ugly chanting and saw no ugly behaviour.

A steward came up to tell fans to sit down which I personally disagree with if it’s just the back 2-3 rows of the boisterous block standing. If an idiot is standing on his own at the front of the stand and is blocking the views of those who have people sitting behind them then I agree, make them sit. The fans ignored the steward and started sing “Stand up…” etc.

Then the steward came back with a mob of security agency staff but were provoking and in-your-face in their style of customer service. I’d say it was 80-20 the fault of these staff which unnecessarily led to the scuffle, though I agree no punches should’ve been thrown by Gills fans and they will probably be dealt with accordingly. But those individuals were exactly that, an individual or two amongst rows of otherwise normal fans.

From then on chucking out angered respectable fans for saying “I’ve got your actions on video, you’ll be on YouTube” smacks of petulance. Particularly if those fans had spent hours on delayed trains and £120-odd for taxis from Warrington. And that’s actually the experience of someone I spoke to afterwards.

It’s probably no coincidence that the over-reaction was following criticism after a previous home game with thousands of fans who posed more of a threat than 270 loyal Gills fans. Eddie Allcorn’s review of the awayday will make for interesting reading in the Plymouth programme.

There’s a reason why stewards and police don’t force the 10 or so away fans who stand in the back rows at Gills each game. Why risk causing a scene for something so needless? A lone train conductor will know how and when to act according to any possible offence and the chance and level of hassle/danger as a result of initiating with them over it.

Last edited:
Normally Lancs, and you know what I’ve been like on here recently, I’ve been scathing of our idiots. With Scally temporarily banning fans after Sunderland for either being idiots to other fans in Block 1 (rightly banned) or for singing Scally Out in the Factory at half time (wrongly banned if so IMO) the first attractive away games after were toxic. I remember Sheff Weds away hearing and seeing our lot fighting while walking from the station to Spoons at barely 11am.

That said, I was in the second from the back row in the block next to where it all kicked off yesterday. There were the odd idiot in that bit but there were also your Jim Case and others. I heard no ugly chanting and saw no ugly behaviour.

A steward came up to tell fans to sit down which I personally disagree with if it’s just the back 2-3 rows of the boisterous block standing. If an idiot is standing on his own at the front of the stand and is blocking the views of those who have people sitting behind them then I agree, make them sit. The fans ignored the steward and started sing “Stand up…” etc. then the steward came back with a mob of security agency staff but were provoking and in-your-face in their style of customer service. I’d say it was 80-20 the fault of these staff which unnecessarily led to the scuffle, though I agree no punches should’ve been thrown by Gills fans and they will probably be dealt with accordingly. But those individuals were exactly that, an individual or two amongst rows of otherwise normal fans.

From then on chucking out angered respectable fans for saying “I’ve got your actions on video, you’ll be on YouTube” smacks of petulance. Particularly if those fans had spent hours on delayed trains and £120-odd for taxis from Warrington. And that’s actually the experience of someone I spoke to afterwards.

It’s probably no coincidence that the over-reaction was following criticism after a previous home game with thousands of fans who posed more of a threat than 270 loyal Gills fans. Eddie Allcorn’s review of the awayday will make for interesting reading in the Plymouth programme.

There’s a reason why stewards and police don’t force the 10 or so away fans who stand in the back rows at Gills each game. Why risk causing a scene for something so needless? A lone train conductor will know how and when to act according to the threat level and possible offence.

You were nearer to the incident/s than I was and if you witnessed cases of stewards being over-zealous, fair enough, I would not question what you saw or the perception you drew. Some stewards are prone to being OTT. On the other hand, as I mentioned, there have been recent away game incidents involving unruly GFC fans when stewards have stood by and done nothing.

At the Mazuma, I was standing with someone who had been at the railway station in the company of one of the persons ejected and I was informed (reliably - knowing the person who told me) that the lad had earlier been "giving it large" at the r/way station. The big lad with no hair that was one of the first to be ejected was not a chap I recognised from away games ie, I don`t believe he was a "regular" (you might know differently).

At least we had none of the anti-PS profanity - but it`s still disappointing when some can`t go to the game without becoming overtly aggressive. Football related yobbery does seem to be increasing - sign of the times maybe.