The Official Morecambe Match Thread (Sponsored by Big V "for all your ex-player curse needs") | Vital Football

The Official Morecambe Match Thread (Sponsored by Big V "for all your ex-player curse needs")

HerrLjunga

Vital 1st Team Regular
How long has it been since we all felt THAT feeling as the ball hit the back of the Cambridge net on Tuesday night? I can't remember celebrating a goal with such vigour certainly all this season and probably a large portion of last. Wonderful stuff.

Just nine days into the job, by the full time whistle Neil Harris had already overseen 40% of our wins in the league and despite lacking our most creative players through injury, we ground out a second successive 1-0 home win to leave the Great Escape looking not entirely impossible.

We make the long trip North to Morecambe this weekend hoping to improve our rotten away record at the expense of another side in the relegation scrap. Big V got back on the scoresheet on Tuesday having been denied by the woodwork on both previous outings, and brings the curse of the ex-player with him. However, there's one of our own exes at Morecambe these days, hopefully Agent Bennett will turn in one of those glacially slow performances we remember from his time here and we can capitalise for another win. Whatever happens, we must take something from this game to keep the momentum building.

Morecambe may only have taken two points from their last 12, but they certainly carry more of a goal threat than we do, having found the net 42 times (17 more than our paltry total of 25 goals) with the dangerous figure of Cole Stockton sitting second in the league scoring charts with 18 goals. That said, they're somehow worse than us at the back having shipped 60 goals already, conceding three or more goals nine times in the league.

This will be our tenth match against the Shrimps since they won promotion to the league, we have only lost the once with five wins, although only one of those was at their place back in 2009, I game I remember being at although the scorer escapes me, Oli? Miller? It was cold, that I do remember.

Anyway, cross all your digits from 3pm tomorrow and hope that Neil and the boys can bring a massive three points back to Kent. Safe travels to anyone making the trek, enjoy the game!

COYG!

Six hundred mile round trip.
It will only appeal to absolute diehards, northern Gills fans and of course the SOB.

POTD available for this fixture. Tomorrow, folk will need their big coats (preferably waterproof with a hood) and if a pre-match portion of fish & chips is on the radar, best to eat-in. Morecambe can be frigging freezing, don`t be fooled by those sunshine scenes in The Bay. Finally, if you bump into a tracky-wearing man mountain of a boxer near the ground, best not to wind him up ! (btw - he apparently owns some of the land that immediately borders the football ground).

Tested positive for COVID yesterday, so despite already having a ticket for one of my more local games, will not be able to travel up to Morecambe. Listening on I follow is just a poor substitute. COYG!

So, Morecambe fans can stand on the terrace for £20 but visiting Gills fans must pay £25 to sit in the far corner seated area - whilst the away terrace (cost £20) remains unused. Is this fair ? I don`t believe it`s anything to do with Stewarding - probably require more stewards in the stand area as segregation is not that efficient. I`m tempted to think it might be greed.

So, Morecambe fans can stand on the terrace for £20 but visiting Gills fans must pay £25 to sit in the far corner seated area - whilst the away terrace (cost £20) remains unused. Is this fair ? I don`t believe it`s anything to do with Stewarding - probably require more stewards in the stand area as segregation is not that efficient. I`m tempted to think it might be greed.

Had exactly that a last season at Burton, £12 for my then 8-year old daughter in the allocated away seats, £1 for Burton kids on their terrace, the away terrace was closed. I contacted Burton to point out the unfairness and got zero response. It's definitely greed.

Had exactly that a last season at Burton, £12 for my then 8-year old daughter in the allocated away seats, £1 for Burton kids on their terrace, the away terrace was closed. I contacted Burton to point out the unfairness and got zero response. It's definitely greed.

They might have taken note, as this season the terrace was, again, opened for GFC.

They might have taken note, as this season the terrace was, again, opened for GFC.

I didn't know that, but they'd burned their bridges with me at that point and I didn't bother checking.

Imho kids under 12 should be free entry at our level, we need that next generation of supporter coming through. If you don't capture them young they're lost for good given the wealth of entertainments available elsewhere.

Had this at Walsall many moons ago when all away support was full price but kids for a quid in the home end. Went and got hold of the club secretary and gave him a real piece of my mind. This became so loud that Richard Green came out of the dressing room to see what the noise was about! He went back and got 2 complimentaries from the team which got my 2 very young kids in free. I will never go to Walsall again.

Had this at Walsall many moons ago when all away support was full price but kids for a quid in the home end. Went and got hold of the club secretary and gave him a real piece of my mind. This became so loud that Richard Green came out of the dressing room to see what the noise was about! He went back and got 2 complimentaries from the team which got my 2 very young kids in free. I will never go to Walsall again.
Fair point. I've been to Walsall 3 times and we've won everyy time. This is partucularly remarkable given our absmal record at that ground. I feel I owe it to the Gills to go next time we play them.

Fair point. I've been to Walsall 3 times and we've won everyy time. This is partucularly remarkable given our absmal record at that ground. I feel I owe it to the Gills to go next time we play them.

Been once, blew a 2-0 lead and lost 3-2, my less than chuffed reaction to their winner being clearly visible on the highlights. I did steal all the crackling from the Toby Carvery before the game though; swings and roundabouts.

Neil Harris obviously reads this forum and has taken my advice 😉
Hopefully young Tom can keep their defensive players busy while Big V gets extra space.

We've got to be aware of Stockton today. He's their main threat,and there was a possibility of him moving in the last window,but it didn't work out. If anyone will score for them,he will