The Official MK Dons Match Thread (Sponsored by Keith Millen "for all your caretaking needs") | Page 9 | Vital Football

The Official MK Dons Match Thread (Sponsored by Keith Millen "for all your caretaking needs")

Enjoyed today but after moaning about Harris and his substitutions what the fuck were we doing trying to shut up shop almost gave the game away

Enjoyed today but after moaning about Harris and his substitutions what the fuck were we doing trying to shut up shop almost gave the game away
I think that it shows the mindset of managers and coaches in professional football.
The crowd want to be entertained.
The professionals couldn’t give a flying f’ck about entertainment.
They want to win at all costs.
Going ultra defensive is what they think is correct.
Had we put away the Mahoney chance and won 3-1 nobody would’ve mentioned it.

Did you watch the game today?
Heard it, which was even worse as it sounded like pinball near the end - until the sending off released the pressure. I wouldn't deny it was exciting.

Just hoping that long term we really do get a manager upgrade. I just don't think it will be as easy as some (possibly even BG) think.

If the new man is in by next week, it will be interesting how they set up as it is our away form that has recently taken a dip. Judging by their recent form, Walsall should be one of the easier away games so a good chance to try out the new approach.

Last edited:
I rarely post on here, despite reading everything. This evening however, my silence is broken. I can’t believe the comments about us trying to shut up shop and nature of defensive subs. A good few of our boys were absolutely done in. If they had stayed on we’d have effectively had nine men, and likely muscle injuries. What was Millen meant to do? Bring on Sithole? Added to which MK brought on attackers to salvage a point or more. If we’d had a decent bench I’m sure we’d have made like for like changes. But Millen had no choice. Blimey people, revel in a totally committed performance from every single one of our players, good attacking intent, two goals and three points. And…at least one world class save in the final knocking, as well as a top drawer one in the first half. All with half a bloody decent team sitting in row 2 behind the dugouts. Well played boys!

I think that it shows the mindset of managers and coaches in professional football.
The crowd want to be entertained.
The professionals couldn’t give a flying f’ck about entertainment.
They want to win at all costs.
Going ultra defensive is what they think is correct.
Had we put away the Mahoney chance and won 3-1 nobody would’ve mentioned it.
Couldn’t agree more

I rarely post on here, despite reading everything. This evening however, my silence is broken. I can’t believe the comments about us trying to shut up shop and nature of defensive subs. A good few of our boys were absolutely done in. If they had stayed on we’d have effectively had nine men, and likely muscle injuries. What was Millen meant to do? Bring on Sithole? Added to which MK brought on attackers to salvage a point or more. If we’d had a decent bench I’m sure we’d have made like for like changes. But Millen had no choice. Blimey people, revel in a totally committed performance from every single one of our players, good attacking intent, two goals and three points. And…at least one world class save in the final knocking, as well as a top drawer one in the first half. All with half a bloody decent team sitting in row 2 behind the dugouts. Well played boys!

They were tired, for sure, same as after the Mansfield game.

Highlights. Horrible Franchise defending...shame.

Thanks for that, Herr.

Did MK play that high line for the whole game? No cover whatsover when they lost possession. Normally visiting teams sit a lot deeper than that. No wonder they are dropping down the table like a stone.

Well fan will be well pleased for Mr Alexander, further to his post last week.

They were tired, for sure, same as after the Mansfield game.
In injury time we got a free kick near their box. A bloke was shouting at Jeffries to get in the box. By that time it was all Jeffries could do to get up and down the pitch. He gave him a look that was venomous but didn’t say anything. I was with Jeffries on that one.

Welcome Medley and you are spot on with your first post. Clarke was out on his feet and Bonne had already replaced Nadesan so forward options were almost zilch. We were 2 (that's T-W-O) goals up and had something to protect so Millen made the correct call imo to try and protect our lead and hope we could catch MK on the break again. Proper battling win!

PS. The MK sending off was hilarious. Harvie got straight up from his rash tackle and immediately marched off without even looking at the ref. He was past him before the ref had even raised the card as he knew exactly what was coming.

Good win and a really good 55 minutes bookended by a dreadful first 20 and final 15. Never like to see one of our players get injured but Bonne come onto the pitch transformed the game for us (penny for the thoughts of plenty who do nothing but slag him off). He’s our best forward by a country mile in my opinion.

Does today tell us anything much in terms of right or wrong to sack Harris? I don’t think so, given what we’re like at home and MK’s generous defending I think we’d have won today regardless.

Next week will probably tell us a bit more when we see how we look in a game away from home, fingers crossed the new man is in place for then.
Bonne must play, he missed a good opportunity first half, looked a sitter from the Rainham end but he wins almost all his arial duals and has good strength, on another day he could have had a hat trick and that’s becoming a theme. One of the most encouraging thing from today was the front two, Nichols and Bonne showed real promise as a pair.

Bonne must play, he missed a good opportunity first half, looked a sitter from the Rainham end but he wins almost all his arial duals and has good strength, on another day he could have had a hat trick and that’s becoming a theme. One of the most encouraging thing from today was the front two, Nichols and Bonne showed real promise as a pair.
No evidence, but I think Bonne will flourish when paired with a fit Hawkins.

Both too similar to play as a front two I think, for all his detractors I thought the pairing with Nichols worked really well and Bonne was exceptional.

I’m not having all the ‘he’s Harris’ mate’ ‘it was Harris who chose him’ nonsense.
I really rate Bonne and despite my reservations about Harris's play in general think he was right to back him with starts and have faith in him to come good. Bonne comes with 'complications' so to speak but the way he changed the game today speaks to a level of quality that is rare in this league. I think if we continue to nurture him he can be something quite special for us, but given he's recent history he needs that investment.

And Bradford started life under their caretaker with a 1-0 win over the high flying Swine.

I also notice NH's chosen striker and mate, plus one of the ex-Millwall contingent scored our goals. Who'd a thought it?
It’s almost as if they’re also pleased he’s gone.

The positives:

1. Two up front from the start and that's how it should be at home.
2. When Bonne came on he looked very good, won lots of balls and took his chance well.
3. Nicholls was unselfish and gave Malone his goal on a plate
4. Ogie will make us decent money if we have him on a long term contract.
5. Thought the ref was decent. Never really thought about him and that's the sign of a good one.

The negatives:

1. What was the double defensive sub all about, did we really plan to sit deep for 20 mins ? Mind boggling.
2. Mahoney needs to look at the video and realise what being an unselfish player means - he had 2/3 players square and unmarked, would have wrapped up the game at 3-0.
3. I had Gills to win 2-0 with Bonne to score - thanks for nothing with letting them get one back :cool:

Overall much better at home but for crazy subs that handed the initiative back to MK. I'm glad I changed my flights to make the game.
The crazy subs could have been partly enforced to some degree happy to give Keith the benefit.

As mentioned by at least one other Malone's celebration at the end of the game Harris like was a nice touch.

Watch Gills in the blood match day live if you want to see Malone's Harris tribute.I missed it live as I had to rush off to be sure to get my second part of journey train home.

The negatives:

1. What was the double defensive sub all about, did we really plan to sit deep for 20 mins ? Mind boggling.

I’m with @Medley on this one.

Just seen Keith Millen’s post match where he talked about this. He said he’d obliviously like to just keep playing the same way and make like for like subs. But 2 things got in the way.

1/ Once chasing the game, MK started putting 4 or 5 up forward and “you can’t just simply ignore that”. Had to put an extra defender on to match up.

2/ With Bonne already subbed in for Nads, he only had Sithole on the bench in forward areas, but felt he needed experienced heads in the last 15.

He also mentioned a lot of the players being out on their feet towards the end, so I’d say well done the whole squad and coaching set up that saw us to the win, albeit squeeky bum time.

I was pleased when I saw the line up but have to say that the Nadesan/Nichols pairing didn't look anything as good as the Bonne/Nichols proved to be.

From the outset it seemed like the team were playing with the handbrake off. Everyone was looking to go forward rather than sideways and for the middle half hour we looked very good indeed. 2-0 up and still pushing forward was great to see but at 70 minutes it was clear that several players were knackered.

With no other forwards on the bench I'd have left Nichols on and taken off DJ who had already made some tired looking tackles and passes. Bringing on McKenzie or MacArthur, rather than Ehmer wouldn't have changed the set up quite as much and wouldn't have led to us inviting so much pressure.

Max Clarke on for Jayden Clarke was fair enough.

How we went from a team winning 2-0 and looking to go for 3 to a team that, if it not for some great saves by Turner, might have lost 4-2 is beyond me.

Player ratings, as no-one else has done any yet.

Turner 9 (MotM)
Alexander 6
Ogie 9
Masterson 7
Malone 6
Coleman 8
Jefferies 6
Clarke 5
Nichols 7
Bonne 8
Mahoney 6