The Official January 2020 Transfer Window Thread. | Page 142 | Vital Football

The Official January 2020 Transfer Window Thread.

It is when the bloke you bought is slower than a three legged tortoise and blacks out from jumping for a header. Why don’t some fans acknowledge we have bought a turkey, like a fair few clubs have this season
You beat me to it mate , £22m for a striker who is worth £3.50 is expensive

Managers are cagey nowadays with what they say to the media. But Deano has gone on the record to say we are looking at getting in two strikers during the window. That's good enough for me

The other thing is championship sides know we are desperate for a striker. They then price them to reflect that. Samatta had a buy out at 8 or 9m. Makes a lot of sense to me? They both would be a risk either way. He has got to be better than no CF at all ?

Sure Wesley is the easy and obvious target but with flops like Luiz, Nakamba, Trezeguet, Ghazi, targett, behind him he's hardly had much support. The summer spending spree ! Marks out of 10, as things stand it's a 3.

Again though Tarzan, it's not a computer game, we can't just click our fingers.

Agree but, Wesley who is looking very average gets injured 1st of January and Kodgia is already buying bitcoin with his Qatar millions. If it was a computer game even I would have pushed a few buttons on my spectrum and bought a striker early doors. Shocking

Do we take a chance on a 8m striker from abroad or 30m on a proven prem striker, That's for the man with the money to decide, he might get lucky, he might not. obviously a gambler.

I'm all for scouring the World but some leagues are not as good as our own Championship, yet we turn our nose up at strikers from there as not good enough, love to know where the Belgian league ranks in the big scheme of things.

Is it better than the championship and Scotland for instance, as good or better than France or Holland? Then you have Portugal, Germany etc
Obviously England Spain and Italy are better.

I’d guess the top half of the Belgian league would beat most teams in the championship. It’s not as bad a standard as some think. We have a habit of over rating the standard of football in this country. Our top teams are up there with the best in Europe, but outside the top 6 or 7, the rest are nothing special

Do we take a chance on a 8m striker from abroad or 30m on a proven prem striker, That's for the man with the money to decide, he might get lucky, he might not. obviously a gambler.

What proven PL striker would we get for £30m? You’d probably be looking at double that in this window, unless they were in their mid thirties

Smith has said on a striker front 'we're looking for a couple'.

Jim White: Breaking news coming from Villa Park, according to sky sports sources...

richard-and-judy.jpg

Agree but, Wesley who is looking very average gets injured 1st of January and Kodgia is already buying bitcoin with his Qatar millions. If it was a computer game even I would have pushed a few buttons on my spectrum and bought a striker early doors. Shocking
That's what I mean though mate, doesn't mean we haven't had feelers out since early Dec or earlier...in an ideal world 12.01am on Jan 1st we'd have announced someone, but DS is right prices will generally dip as the month comes to an end and clubs stop playing as hard ball as previously, but equally clubs know we are desperate and we still have to seek value. Others will agree in principle even if we up the anti by offering slightly over the odds, but it'll still be conditional on them securing a replacement etc.

If no one is in by Feb the Board deserve all the pelters they get, but not until then as we will truly never know who we have have chased, what we offered, what agents tried to swindle, where we were gazumped etc...

Your right i suppose. but you know what i mean, crazy isn't it, the price of survival.
That's the freedom we have as fans....Joelinton's fee to guarantee survival? A tried and tested but coming to the end of their career free agent? A young lad like Bowen and the assumption he can step up overnight?

There is a correlation between spend/wage and league finish (I think only Spurs have bucked that trend in the last 5 yrs?) but if it was as easy as guaranteeing Xmillion outlay = Xgoals, we'd all be running clubs wouldn't we lol

How does the transfer committee work? From Deano's mouth:

“It's worked how it always has. I had two sporting directors at Brentford. It's no different. You have an idea of a player, we put the criteria down for what that player in the position we expect.”

“Then, I will recommend people who I've had play for me or who I've seen or come across and Suso and his scouting and recruitment team will look at players to fit that criteria as well.”

“Then, we narrow that search to players who are actionable because, as I've said, the biggest part of bringing players in is four things have to align: the selling club, the buying club, the player and the agent.“

“Once they've aligned then, between us, we'll decide whether we want to bring the player in our not. Finding players with that Premier League experience has been tough.”

“There’s 10-11 teams in the mix for a bottom-three place, we need to win games to bring another few closer to us. It’s folly to think those sort of teams are going to sell us a player. It could mean us benefiting from that.”

“When we're looking at players I want to go and meet them and talk to them. I want them to understand what they're signing into and for.”

“We're guaranteed 42,000 each week, it's a sell-out at Villa Park every time we play there. They've got to handle that. Part of that criteria we look at is players who can handle that.”