The Official Forest Green Rovers Match Thread (Sponsored by Nibbles "for all your pitch inspection needs") | Page 9 | Vital Football

The Official Forest Green Rovers Match Thread (Sponsored by Nibbles "for all your pitch inspection needs")

Urgency and the passing game are almost opposites.

If you want to probe and keep possession, sometimes the opposition are happy for you to do that, particularly if you are at home and they are satisfied to take a point away, or just looking to hit you on the break.

I think Clem needs to mix it up more. He may know that already but is finding it difficult to get the players to put it in to practice.
You can’t pass and do it at speed. Right. I’ll have to review my view of football then.

Urgency and the passing game are almost opposites.

If you want to probe and keep possession, sometimes the opposition are happy for you to do that, particularly if you are at home and they are satisfied to take a point away, or just looking to hit you on the break.

I think Clem needs to mix it up more. He may know that already but is finding it difficult to get the players to put it in to practice.
I think you’re right, if you’re trying to keep possession you won’t see a side getting bodies forward and going back to front quickly, it will be a progression through the quarters. I think this is where some are confusing urgency and lack of passion etc.

I think you’re right, if you’re trying to keep possession you won’t see a side getting bodies forward and going back to front quickly, it will be a progression through the quarters. I think this is where some are confusing urgency and lack of passion etc.
The first half had no passion or urgency, we upped our game considerably in the second half but didn’t get a second goal which would have likely killed them off.

Oh how I long for a game where we score early and then settle in to the way we can play for an entire match.

The first half had no passion or urgency, we upped our game considerably in the second half but didn’t get a second goal which would have likely killed them off.

Oh how I long for a game where we score early and then settle in to the way we can play for an entire match.
We started very poorly, I thought they looked up for it and we didn’t, Gills horse mentioned how the side need either a rollicking at half time or to fall a goal behind for them to spark into life, which is often the case.

Seen a stat on Twitter that it’s 18 first halves we’ve not scored in this season!

I had a 189 mile round trip today to watch the team I've supported since 1956. I was really expecting to see us at last scoring 3 or 4 goals in a game. To say I was disappointed would be a total understatement. No disrespect to FGR, but I feel cheated. There was no urgency in our play ....... no passion in the team ......... and no sense that the players were there for anything other than their wages. I used to live a 3 minute walk from Priestfield, but sometimes it's easier to live where I do in Hampshire.

I had a 189 mile round trip today to watch the team I've supported since 1956. I was really expecting to see us at last scoring 3 or 4 goals in a game. To say I was disappointed would be a total understatement. No disrespect to FGR, but I feel cheated. There was no urgency in our play ....... no passion in the team ......... and no sense that the players were there for anything other than their wages. I used to live a 3 minute walk from Priestfield, but sometimes it's easier to live where I do in Hampshire.
I don’t think that’s entirely fair, in the second half we certainly upped the tempo. But I do appreciate the frustration at a performance against a team we should have beaten.

After the crushing disappointments of home defeats v other teams we should have beaten comfortably this season (Colchester, Newport and Crawley) it would be reckless to attend, expecting us to win and 'win well' BUT I am ... and I'm really looking forward to it.

COYG

........ And I was let down again, not just by the scoreline, but by the manner in which we failed to perform.

I'll give full credit to FGR for the way they started, the way that they chased about and closed us down quickly and the way they held such a high line defensively.

I don't think it was a case of us not wanting it enough it's just that we weren't good enough on the day. Our tempo didn't match FGR - except for the 10 minutes just before our goal - which would have been fine if, after each steady build up, we found a pass rather than resorting to an aimless hoof.

Nobody played particularly badly but nobody performed as well as we know they can. An all round 'not quite good enough' 5/10 showing from everyone.

The only upside was that, in the last 10 minutes when only one team looked likely to score, they didn't.

Whereabouts in Hampshire are you living? I'm a season ticket holder living in Yateley.

some very big games coming up in February play like today and by the end of Feb we’ll be in mid table and out of the runnng not what I want to see

I don’t agree that we don’t create anything. I had the unusual angle today of watching the game pretty much from the touch line as took the kids in the Medway stand and was in the block in the corner( usually in the Rainham End) . We played a fair few balls low at pace into the six yard box and absolutely nobody was anywhere near them. Nadesan when he came on was awful. Misplaced a 5 yard pass and it went downhill from there. What’s the point being quick if you get on the end of nothing? I appreciate our problems run deeper than Nadesan being sht, but he really is. Nichols seems to be a shadow of the player he was last year so he’s no longer an option. Hawkins is (somehow) our best centre forward. We’ve got a bunch of good midfielders on paper. Our defence also should be alright . I’m not sure how Morris has never got a game since being our POTY last year. Club does my head in.

Living in Hampshire makes it an easy decision to make and not bother making the effort to attend anymore. Backed by the majority of posts on here most weeks reporting on the shite their watching this season is hardly likely to encourage me to make the effort to travel that distance to watch a lazy bunch of overpaid talentless ****s.
The club gave it all the big talk at the start of the season, ''wer'e gonna give it a right ol go'' the sleeping giants bollocks, blah blah blah.
Nothing much changes at Gillingham and it still has'nt really and until some decent quality players are brought in nothing will change. Talk of promotion is a nonsence if your incapable of scoring some goals and this team will not go anywhere without better players. Talk is cheap and how serious are the club at getting out of league two?
Wer'e not a bad side but we certainly arn't a good promotion looking side.
Just a bang average league two club going nowhere imo.