The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 78 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It always seems strange to me that PL clubs prefer to hire managers like OGS with little experience rather than someone like Big Sam with tons of it.

Can you think of any other profession where inexperience is seen as preferable to experience?

Virgin brides

As a comparison everyone plumps for the virgin bride (OGS) but the novelty soon wears off and they end up with the growler (Big Sam) who can whip his teeth out and likes it up the wrongun

It always seems strange to me that PL clubs prefer to hire managers like OGS with little experience rather than someone like Big Sam with tons of it.

Can you think of any other profession where inexperience is seen as preferable to experience?

I've worked in a few places like that, to be honest.

Virgin brides

As a comparison everyone plumps for the virgin bride (OGS) but the novelty soon wears off and they end up with the growler (Big Sam) who can whip his teeth out and likes it up the wrongun

That's exactly what I'm saying. You don't want some shy girl who thinks spunk is too salty. You want a real woman who gargles.

Not strange at all to me. OGS has experience, quite a lot of it, and some success, albeit on a smaller stage; he also has in depth knowledge of the PL and of MU.

OGS is 46, Dean Smith is 48. Mourinho in comparison was 41 when he first went to Chelsea. Big Sam has tons of experience and is probably the best of the "fixit" managers, but hasn't shown he can match what the more ambitious clubs require.

Managers like OGS and DS are on a learning curve. But to an extent all managers are. Those who stop learning will go backwards. No manager is the finished article.

Not strange at all to me. OGS has experience, quite a lot of it, and some success, albeit on a smaller stage; he also has in depth knowledge of the PL and of MU.

Managers like OGS and DS are on a learning curve. But to an extent all managers are. Those who stop learning will go backwards. No manager is the finished article.

I dont think some of the unfashionable managers stop learning - sometimes they are hamstrung by the board and other times it is the ambition of the club that limits the manager.

Allardyce is a very successful manager if judged by the criteria of the board that appoints him at the time. Its probably more appropriate to say that many managers just stick with what works and some never decide to evolve the team beyond what works. I am not sure thats really a learning thing, it is a fear and in other cases probably just a lack of ability.

The whole reason I wanted Dean Smith 18 months before we got him I was drawn to the rave reviews he was getting at Walsall ie the Ginger Mourinho as he was labelled. An unfashionable club with little mazuma playing like Brazil got him his move to Brentford where he carried that philosophy on.

He now has a stage where he also has the finances to carry this style forwards, the fact that he is a Villan means he actually gets what it's all about, so does his General on the field. All the staff and players even the ones not getting a look in are seemingly behind the "project"

Can't remember a time when we've been sold out at VP this early in the season despite the results not being what we'd hoped for. The style of play is certainly attracting a few back that have previously weakened into non-believers

Seems it's not just me that believes but 40,000 others do too

I’m not really sure you can call this news, but we all get a little bit desperate during pointless international breaks and the October lull is certainly no different. Having gone into the break with a fantastic 5-1 victory over Norwich City at Carrow Road, with plenty of positives coming from Wesley’s brace, and further goals from Jack Grealish, Conor Hourihane and Douglas Luiz, first team coach John Terry decided to give the fans a bit of a laugh.
https://astonvilla.vitalfootball.co...ices-as-villa-return-to-the-bodymoor-pitches/

Please break the tradition of making substitutions when we are winning the game.

I don't know why managers do this, we are winning and the opposition make changes.....
They have to make changes I get that because they are losing. Changing Wesley for Kodja with 4 minutes of the game and 4 minutes extra time was pointless and in my opinion cost us the game.

I know opinion is split over Wesley but with him on the pitch we were winning 1-0.
I get the other changes one through Injury one through tiredness but for fucks sake we were winning.

STOP CHANGING A WINNING TEAM~~~~~

Tim Sherwood used to do it, Monny O'Neill used to do it.... when your winning you dont have to fuck around with the team with 4 minutes to go.......

Please break the tradition of making substitutions when we are winning the game.

I don't know why managers do this, we are winning and the opposition make changes.....
They have to make changes I get that because they are losing. Changing Wesley for Kodja with 4 minutes of the game and 4 minutes extra time was pointless and in my opinion cost us the game.

I know opinion is split over Wesley but with him on the pitch we were winning 1-0.
I get the other changes one through Injury one through tiredness but for fucks sake we were winning.

STOP CHANGING A WINNING TEAM~~~
Tim Sherwood used to do it, Monny O'Neill used to do it.... when your winning you dont have to fuck around with the team with 4 minutes to go.......

Yes should have played the team that beat Wolves :Fingers:

Smith said that Wesley had run out of gas and Gilbert came off limping. I don't think the substitutions helped us but it didn't seem like there was much option.

Smith said that Wesley had run out of gas and Gilbert came off limping. I don't think the substitutions helped us but it didn't seem like there was much option.

I buy the Freddie bit but bringing on Koj for 8 mins or whatever was a waste of time. It was actually done to waste time rather than counter anything Liverpool were doing. All Managers do it not just ours, to disrupt the game and wind down the clock when they are winning. It wasn't a tactical change or anything
It never worked for us because our subs were not good enough even to put a shift in. If they'd have busted a gut for 10 mins then fair enough but they didn't . They just jogged about and hardly touched the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.