The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 538 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was 50/50 on him going at this particular stage of the season. Seeing the candidates and the reasons being given as justification for the candidates isn't swinging those odds in favour of him going and it being the correct decision in my humble .
If we fluff this appointment then the old "It doesn't matter who the next manager is, Dean just needed to go" arguments start to look a lot sillier don't they?

Can't wait for Deano's legendary 2032 50th anniversary Champions League winning second spell in charge.

Pleased to see Deano mention his family at the end of that statement.
I think we sometimes forget they are family men outside of the job.
Very best wishes Dean, you won't be out of work for long.
Yet it was suggested he didn't care about the club if he didn't walk and forgo his compensation. Some of the shit posted on here about Smith has been sickening.

I hope for his sake he doesn't go to Norwich. They are doomed and no one is stopping them from going down. Whoever takes them on will probably get sacked again before the end of the season. If I were him I'd take a few months off and in the summer there's no reason why he couldn't get either a lower premier league or top championship job.

You'd hope that our billionaire businessmen owners have a stellar appointment lined up that ticks all the boxes, but my fear is that we have our very own Eddie Howe just around the corner - prove me wrong billionaire owners, make me eat humble pie.
If they fuck this up they could lose the fans for good.

If we fluff this appointment then the old "It doesn't matter who the next manager is, Dean just needed to go" arguments start to look a lot sillier don't they?

They're not mutually exclusive though. The next managerial appointment will be a risk, of course - and could still go pear-shaped - but Dean would still have needed to go as we were on the edge of disaster.

Last edited by a moderator:
I totally agree with you on the timing, at the West Ham game there were fans that sit around me saying Deano has to go, I asked all of them who should replace him, and none of them were even close to convincing me that there is a realistic and better option out there, I knew that some would suggest Lampard, Gerrard and Terry and that is based solely on them being stellar names in the world of football, it doesn't make them a good coach or manager and with exception of Terry they have no personal connection with our club, I say this because I think this is what has set apart the likes of John Gregory, Brian Little and Dean Smith from the rest who have managed our club. Then there was the safe pair of hands suggestions such as Dyche, Howe and Potter, how on earth are they any better than Dean Smith? For me we should have stuck with Deano, sometimes you must be careful what you wish for! UTV!
Sticking with what you’ve got for fear of what may come is a ridiculous notion in my opinion.
Just because the average man/woman sat at the West Ham game can’t give you a name that you agree with is irrelevant, and should in no way be used to decide wether we stick or twist, the board will make the decision and I can tell you right now whoever they choose some will be happy some won’t, just like Dean Smith, some thought stay, some thought go.
And of course what I’ve said is my opinion and therefore irrelevant to most.

@MarvelVillan Well that's the judgement call, isn't it? One game earlier apparently the club thought the right thing to do was stick with Dean, so let's not pretend there aren't fine margins here.

@MarvelVillan Well that's the judgement call, isn't it? One game earlier apparently the club thought the right thing to do was stick with Dean, so let's not pretend there aren't fine margins here.

Fair, and I think, had we not gone down a few years back, that Dean would have been given more time - but we know all too well the grim reality of relegation and so the club pulled the plug. Rightly so, in my opinion.

Fair, and I think, had we not gone down a few years back, that Dean would have been given more time - but we know all too well the grim reality of relegation and so the club pulled the plug. Rightly so, in my opinion.
I can see why they did it. I think with a fully fit squad, Dean's showed more than enough that he could turn it around. The club obviously didn't like the whiff of losing that was starting to hang around and that's totally justifiable. We can never know the outcome of the choice we didn't make, so let's just hope we nail this appointment.

Wasn’t being rude earlier mate, when I looked at your post I couldn’t see anything written down. Soz.

Sticking with what you’ve got for fear of what may come is a ridiculous notion in my opinion.
Just because the average man/woman sat at the West Ham game can’t give you a name that you agree with is irrelevant, and should in no way be used to decide wether we stick or twist, the board will make the decision and I can tell you right now whoever they choose some will be happy some won’t, just like Dean Smith, some thought stay, some thought go.
And of course what I’ve said is my opinion and therefore irrelevant to most.
Your opinion isn't irrelevant to me, it’s very valid, I just wanted to point out though that I would have persevered with Dean Smith because I think he is the best person for the job, it's certainly not due to the fear of what may come next. I also think gauging the views of fellow season ticket holders that sit around me is sensible, they have a vested interest and although I didn't agree with them their opinions were also valid. As you rightly say the board will choose the next manager and I am sure that we can both agree they need to get it right, this is a massive appointment!

Wasn’t being rude earlier mate, when I looked at your post I couldn’t see anything written down. Soz.
No problem. I did wonder what you meant by saying nothing. I’ll also log the empty reply box idea as a good response to certain posts, for sure. :)

They're not mutually exclusive though. The next managerial appointment will be a risk, of course - and could still go pear-shaped - but Dean would still have needed to go as we were on the edge of disaster.
He did indeed, results shocking , tactics awful, in game management non existent . The way some on here are writing about him you'd think he'd just won the treble. He's had vast sums of money and hasn't delivered for almost a year now

Status
Not open for further replies.