The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 403 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, but that was our BEST last season. I don't understand how you don't see that. You must do, otherwise you wouldn't start with "Since the start of January" because that shows you know what was happening before was pretty special.
The last special thing we did was that win v Paace with ten men. Of course we were better at the start with another raft of signings.
Since then we have gone from ordinary to awful.

We haven't gone from ordinary to awful. We haven't gone from anything to awful. Disappointing, yes. We can play without Jack but not anything like as well. But we knew that anyway.

And we do press teams. Only problem is some teams are better at it than we are. They're the ones who've had 10 years learning how to do it.

Just reading Dean’s reaction to Stone’s red card saying he didn’t think it was a red. While Pep was going ballistic on the touch line I was swearing at him on the tv telling him to F off because it was a clear red. I thought to myself how difficult it must be for Dean or one of our other coaches not to have a go at Pep. But no, it seems Dean was standing there agreeing with him! Is Dean just too much of a nice guy to manage a club like ours? The players obviously like him but has he got that extra something, that touch of ruthlessness that you seem need from get the best out of all the personalities on the pitch? How many successful clubs have totally nice guys up front? I do want a man like Dean to succeed, I want Dean to succeed but can he? Just a conversation piece, that’s all.

It's funny because if Mr Fate had gaily skipped through the season sprinkling the same amount of wins and losses I bet hardly anyone would be complaining (Silhil and Fulford obvs), but the fact all our best games were at the start and then all our bad games at the back is making people lose their minds.

Who is losing their minds? we’re just pointing out that things are fucking poor now, and surely now is the important bit, we had a good start and Smith got all the praise (and rightly so) but now things have gone tits up, so he gets it in the neck (and rightly so)
It’s not so much the defeats, Jesus were Villa fans, we can cope with defeats, it’s the lack of managing that gets my back up.
I’ve said it before, nice guy, maybe to nice, not ruthless enough for me.

I think he’s been a lucky manager too, back to the championship when we came up, Jack came back and we went on a 10 game winning streak, that got us promotion, then first season back we’re in free fall and covid saves him, 2nd season great start, Jack gets injured, we then fall apart, and for me nothings changed since the Championship, apart from he’s had £200m and still can’t get a tune out of them when Jacks sidelined.

Just reading Dean’s reaction to Stone’s red card saying he didn’t think it was a red. While Pep was going ballistic on the touch line I was swearing at him on the tv telling him to F off because it was a clear red. I thought to myself how difficult it must be for Dean or one of our other coaches not to have a go at Pep. But no, it seems Dean was standing there agreeing with him! Is Dean just too much of a nice guy to manage a club like ours? The players obviously like him but has he got that extra something, that touch of ruthlessness that you seem need from get the best out of all the personalities on the pitch? How many successful clubs have totally nice guys up front? I do want a man like Dean to succeed, I want Dean to succeed but can he? Just a conversation piece, that’s all.
I’ve often wondered what the point of the fourth official is and the whole theatre of managers on the touch line getting psyched up and arguing with them. Maybe it’s a strength that Smith by and large doesn’t get involved. It’s interesting that in international rugby none of this happens. The coaches are up in the clouds surrounded by computers.

I’ve often wondered what the point of the fourth official is and the whole theatre of managers on the touch line getting psyched up and arguing with them. Maybe it’s a strength that Smith by and large doesn’t get involved. It’s interesting that in international rugby none of this happens. The coaches are up in the clouds surrounded by computers.

Deano got booked at City or sent to the stands didn't he for going ballistic about the goal that should have been disallowed the one where Mings got robbed by the offside player.
Pep gets away with a total rant over a VAR decision which eventually got his liability Stones sent off

i thought it was a dangerous, high challenge , stone wall Red. Dean seemed to be in awe of Pep the other night, like a fanboy . So did the players , i didn't see one solid tackle on a Ci£y player all night, probably didn't want to jeapordise getting a shirt off them after the game. Very disappointing

i thought it was a dangerous, high challenge , stone wall Red. Dean seemed to be in awe of Pep the other night, like a fanboy . So did the players , i didn't see one solid tackle on a Ci£y player all night, probably didn't want to jeapordise getting a shirt off them after the game. Very disappointing
probably not the right thread but one thing I did notice is how city players appeal every throw-in, corner ,goal-kick argue every decision as if its the end of the world . Entitled born winners, we might not like them doing it but they are winners

Deano got booked at City or sent to the stands didn't he for going ballistic about the goal that should have been disallowed the one where Mings got robbed by the offside player.
Pep gets away with a total rant over a VAR decision which eventually got his liability Stones sent off

Yep, and it wasnt that long ago I was reading on here some people complaining about the way Deano does rant at the officials. When you are losing games it makes no difference what you do, it will get picked apart by people

It was a red but slow motion makes it look worse.

Perhaps Deano was talking about seeing it in real time.

Agreed, first impression for me was no red, both going for the ball, it was only after seeing the replays, even though I don't think he went in with intent/malace, that it was red.

As for Dean on the touchline, before I was moved from the area, he isn't a Mr Nice Guy when talking to refs, in fact, a few times, I'd say the opposite, he would take it a bit far in giving the ref his opinion!!

Agreed, first impression for me was no red, both going for the ball, it was only after seeing the replays, even though I don't think he went in with intent/malace, that it was red.

As for Dean on the touchline, before I was moved from the area, he isn't a Mr Nice Guy when talking to refs, in fact, a few times, I'd say the opposite, he would take it a bit far in giving the ref his opinion!!

Disgraceful. I don't know why people have a go at the refs. It never gets you anywhere.

True, but the question was what personal qualities make a successful manager.

Who knows what Deano is really like ? I have a theory that anyone who is really successful in their profession can't get there without treading on a few toes on the way , and I reckon he is not shy of making tough decisions.

He also said once that he tries to manage how he would have been wanted to be managed as a player , and I reckon man management is a major factor nowadays and I certainly have never heard of him falling out with any player or heard any departing player have a go at him.

He is also on the LMA board and seems highly respected in the game so again he seems to have the right leadership qualities to me.

Disgraceful. I don't know why people have a go at the refs. It never gets you anywhere.

My favourite (as an aside, as this is off topic) was me shouting for a red card for an opposition player.

"Are you blind ref, clearly a red, that was a disgrace, an absolute disgrace" kind of rant.

Bruce turns to me and says 'was it?'

Me "No"

Back he turns, chuckling!

As for the topic as to what makes a successful manager, different strokes for different folks isn't it? Wenger usually looked calm and collected but he did blow at times, I'm sure many of the calm managers are like that. Then there are the shouty ones. Not sure there is a magic formula.

Status
Not open for further replies.