The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 390 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
But none had anything close to this level of investment. The last was O'Neill.

We spent a fortune under Sherwood, Di Matteo and Bruce. Though obviously the latter 2 were in the championship. I get that its your thing to call for smiths head every bad run but trying to negatively compare him to managers we've had in the last decade when we're literally higher in the league than at any point in that time seems ridiculous.

But none had anything close to this level of investment. The last was O'Neill.

They wouldn't FFP and revenue related with a growing TV contract. Again perspective mate, It's relative and yes we have pushed the boat more now simply because we had to replace half a squad.

Well I think you would be in the minority who think that mate. We were pathetic in both games.

We weren't great but we should've won...there's a difference and it's a difference the squad needs to learn when it comes to fine margins at this level.

We spent a fortune under Sherwood, Di Matteo and Bruce. Though obviously the latter 2 were in the championship. I get that its your thing to call for smiths head every bad run but trying to negatively compare him to managers we've had in the last decade when we're literally higher in the league than at any point in that time seems ridiculous.

I was the first person to call for Bruce's head despite everyone else saying we should stick with him. I've never seen Smith as being a top manager in the premier league, for me he's not clever enough. Unfortunately if you want to succeed in this league you need a lot more tactical nous than he has. Imagine if we had gone the whole season without Grealish.

We weren't great but we should've won...there's a difference and it's a difference the squad needs to learn when it comes to fine margins at this level.

In both games especially yesterday the lack of changing tactics lost us points. When us mere posters on a forum can see what needs to be done but our manager who's being paid millions can't, then something is seriously wrong. Would anyone other than Smith have kept Traore on the pitch for as long as he did and even then he was only replaced due to an injury.

I was the first person to call for Bruce's head despite everyone else saying we should stick with him. I've never seen Smith as being a top manager in the premier league, for me he's not clever enough. Unfortunately if you want to succeed in this league you need a lot more tactical nous than he has. Imagine if we had gone the whole season without Grealish.

You also didn't think he'd get us promoted, keep us up or get us mid table either though. At this stage he's achieved every reasonable objective set at the start of each season. There will almost certainly be a time when its right for Smith to move on.

For me next season is the tipping point. I expect us to properly strengthen in the transfer market to the point where we aren't completely reliant on Grealish going forward, to make a strong challenge for at least a Europa league spot and to have a serious go at the cups. None of these things should be out of our reach if things are done properly. If he can't do this then its time to say goodbye.

In both games especially yesterday the lack of changing tactics lost us points. When us mere posters on a forum can see what needs to be done but our manager who's being paid millions can't, then something is seriously wrong. Would anyone other than Smith have kept Traore on the pitch for as long as he did and even then he was only replaced due to an injury.

I don't disagree but we still could've won.

Are Villa the only team who can't win ugly?

Confirmed

I've got so many jokes to make, but I'll go with you confirming that Fulford can think lol

And thanks Sil for stopping posting whilst I tried to work out how the forum worked!

Night both, enjoyed tonight. Take it easy lads and catch you tomorrow. Let's look forward to winning three in a row where you tell me I was right all along.

:guiness::fish:

You also didn't think he'd get us promoted, keep us up or get us mid table either though. At this stage he's achieved every reasonable objective set at the start of each season. There will almost certainly be a time when its right for Smith to move on.

For me next season is the tipping point. I expect us to properly strengthen in the transfer market to the point where we aren't completely reliant on Grealish going forward, to make a strong challenge for at least a Europa league spot and to have a serious go at the cups. None of these things should be out of our reach if things are done properly. If he can't do this then its time to say goodbye.
Agree next season is the tipping point and all evidence suggests a big tip on the horizon and I'm not referring to St Andrews

Agree next season is the tipping point and all evidence suggests a big tip on the horizon and I'm not referring to St Andrews

If he goes then it won't be the first time we've sacked a manager mid season or the first time we'll have had to get rid if a manager who has done well but taken us as far as he can. Its happened before it'll happen again. I just don't think now is the time.

What Deano said was that we will look for value for money transfers, which is not just his approach but that of the club as a whole. The alternative is splash the money on one or two "top" players with the salaries to go with that; the owners won't do it, neither should they.

Deano also said that we want to increase the squad depth, which means adding to what we've got rather than replacing our regulars. Fair enough. I think our regulars will be better next year for this year's experience, but we do need additional talent.

So far the owners' approach has worked, very well indeed. No reason why it shouldn't continue to.

Smith said: “No, not really. We haven't spoken about spending big. We're in a good place at the moment with our squad. We feel that we've got a really healthy squad as I said last season.

“If there's areas and players we find out there that are good value for money then we'll look to go and bring them in.

“But, we feel we've got a good squad at the moment knowing that we don't need to add too much to.”

We don’t need to add too much ?

I’d say two quality wingers and a creative midfielder is at the very least we need to be bringing in, someone like Dele Alli for 25m, Buendia 40m and Sarr 30m/ Olise 8m that would be quite significant and would add a lot, and if that’s something Deano disagrees with and we’re fine with the likes of Al Ghazi, Trezeguet and Traore with their 30% of brilliance then I’m quite worried.

4 wins out of 33 without Grealish under Deano doesn’t exactly shout the teams good enough, it just further proves that Grealish has been carrying the team.

He did not break into the Brazilian first team because he is average, he did not cost £22,000,000 because he is average, admittedly he is only on £35,000 a week but I honestly think he was getting to understand and get up to speed with the Premiership but sadly got injured.

Give the bloke a chance he will come good for Aston Villa.

Fully agree. He is not average. He is shite.

Lol, we would have been relegated for sure. The longer Jack is out the better we will come to know how good or bad Dean is. His defence team will keep using covid as an excuse till Jack returns and once he does and starts performing, automatically that will result in the team's performance improving and we will be told how fantastic Dean is just like when we went on that 10 match winning run.

Status
Not open for further replies.