The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 300 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyway having said all that I do agree that I don't think Smith is the man to take us forward. He did brilliantly to get us up and will have done well to keep us up but perhaps it should be time to say thank you and goodbye. Part ways without it turning sour.

Anyway having said all that I do agree that I don't think Smith is the man to take us forward. He did brilliantly to get us up and will have done well to keep us up but perhaps it should be time to say thank you and goodbye. Part ways without it turning sour.

If we stay up it’s ruthless . But the club is bigger than one person.

He plays attractive football and got us promoted. He took us to a league cup final (I don't care how easy the Liverpool game was, irrelevant). I dont understand why, given the right players, people dont think he could take us to a league cup win or an FA cup win or a top seven finish next season? Maybe even further than that in two seasons time with continued investment in the squad and facilities?

He plays attractive football and got us promoted. He took us to a league cup final (I don't care how easy the Liverpool game was, irrelevant). I dont understand why, given the right players, people dont think he could take us to a league cup win or an FA cup win or a top seven finish next season? Maybe even further than that in two seasons time with continued investment in the squad and facilities?

Attractive football park the bus and long ball to Davis if that dont work :shrug:.

Attractive football park the bus and long ball to Davis if that dont work :shrug:.
That's due to a lack of playing quality though. When we had players of an equal or superior standing to the opposition, such as last season in the championship or this season against Norwich or in the league cup, we have been absolutely fantastic to watch and getting results we should be getting.

I say give the man a group of players capable of competing in this league and see how he gets on. If he fails next season, so be it, sack him. As it stands, he's done a good job for me.

At this moment I'm not even thinking about it. I just want us to stay up.

Then we can think about it. Except maybe we won't have to do much thinking. The club is probably 80% certain already what it want to do next season. Could go either way.

And as regards having a successful season next time around, maybe getting a small number of spot on signings has priority over everything else.

I think the club will have already made up their mind if he's going or not. The transfer window opens Monday. Then we've what, 7 weeks till the season begins. We need to either say goodbye then get a new man in quickly or say Smith is staying and we're backing him.

And yet there are two established Premier League clubs with the associated riches who didn't need to revamp 50% of the squad below us and we can all pick out the games we deserved more from.

With that said, I still wish we had continued to approach games like we did the start of the year where there was a more attacking intent as we'd have at least stood for an ethos then. But it always needed tweaking for the PL as we would never get away with being as open as we was - we just didn't get the mix right until after the restart really.

I think the club will have already made up their mind if he's going or not. The transfer window opens Monday. Then we've what, 7 weeks till the season begins. We need to either say goodbye then get a new man in quickly or say Smith is staying and we're backing him.

The conundrum there is with the system we've been promised, DS is irrelevant and will have no more say than any replacement - so we are back to Suso and Purslow for signings.

I think Suso will be gone from the sounds of in. Reviewing the recruitment last summer seems to me they think there's a problem. He also pissed off the owner Jos and Purslow with his comments about no relegation once the season resumed.

When comparing Bruce and Smith for me there's not much in it Smith took us one game further than Bruce but you could argue that Smith inherited a better squad than Bruce did.
And if we'd kept Bruce we would have been in a worse position with JoeBLANKlinton leading the line and £40m down the Swanny

Yes , but some on here are even refusing to give him credit for getting promotion , spouting rubbish like it was a two man team and we were lucky Jack came back from injury.

Yes they are not giving him undeserved credit unlike many who refuse to see the truth behind why we actually got promoted because if he was really responsible for that promotion, we would have seen the team and the players improve. Heard about this bloke called Chris Wilder? Now that is what a manager looks like who deserves every word of praise coming his way.

And if we'd kept Bruce we would have been in a worse position with JoeBLANKlinton leading the line and £40m down the Swanny

In fairness to him I very much doubt he had anything to do with Joelinton. That was in the pipeline before he'd even taken the job if I'm remembering correctly. Bruce has done well enough at Newcastle but he's been helped by a huge amount of luck. Easily the worst side I've seen at Villa Park this season. Total lack of any ambition or willingness to try anything positive at all.

Yes they are not giving him undeserved credit unlike many who refuse to see the truth behind why we actually got promoted because if he was really responsible for that promotion, we would have seen the team and the players improve. Heard about this bloke called Chris Wilder? Now that is what a manager looks like who deserves every word of praise coming his way.

Sorry mate, you fall right there.

That would be Chris Wilder who has had time to instil a team ethic and philosophy for 3 odd years under far less pressure?

That would be a Chris Wilder who hasn't had to deal with half the squad going out of contract just as they hit the big time?

That would be a Chris Wilder who spend big as well, but could pick and choose which signing for depth came into the squad, as opposed to (as above) half the squad needed revamping.

I'm a Wilder fan...but DS, even with my stated 'ethos and improvement' questions, still has that defence.

Wilder and Sheff U comparisons are akin to asking why your 11 year old during a school play wasn't quite as good as Laurence Olivier or Tom Hanks.

Sorry mate, you fall right there.

That would be Chris Wilder who has had time to instil a team ethic and philosophy for 3 odd years under far less pressure?

That would be a Chris Wilder who hasn't had to deal with half the squad going out of contract just as they hit the big time?

That would be a Chris Wilder who spend big as well, but could pick and choose which signing for depth came into the squad, as opposed to (as above) half the squad needed revamping.

I'm a Wilder fan...but DS, even with my stated 'ethos and improvement' questions, still has that defence.

Wilder and Sheff U comparisons are akin to asking why your 11 year old during a school play wasn't quite as good as Laurence Olivier or Tom Hanks.

He has been improving them constantly unlike our "head coach" Smith. I am sure both were under the same kind of pressure to get their teams promoted last year, one got lucky and the other has actually earned all the praise he gets deservedly. I am again sure both have been under pressure to keep their teams up this season and we all know how that has been going for both !

Are you aware of how bad Sheff U were to begin with and how long it took Wilder to get his 'bollocks and all' message across mate, because it wasn't overnight. It was within one season granted - but that was in league one with a Premier League striker back on their books - a certain Billy Sharp who had failed, but was a boyhood fan and was proven in the Championship.

The parallels with Smith and his time with us are immense actually.

The differences are stark though, Wilder had L1, then the Champ to get his shop in order. DS has had half a Champ season and one PL campaign where for the PL campaign half the squad changed. It's not a deserved comparison and you have to see that.

But the pressures are massively different, proven by those who think a relegation battle this year isn't good enough. But one got lucky - maybe the bloke who had 3 years to put a plan in place and didn't have his squad decimated but those above him, against his stated wishes?

Just maybe? Maybe, maybe....but a reality and a proper set of facts as opposed to opinions.

And I still say all of that now torn myself on DS. But the casual rewritting of history will always piss me off.

Status
Not open for further replies.