The Official Bradford City Match Thread (Sponsored by Discarded Prophylactics "for all your dead rubber needs") | Page 11 | Vital Football

The Official Bradford City Match Thread (Sponsored by Discarded Prophylactics "for all your dead rubber needs")

I understand your point, I’d love to start again with the playing squad based on what I’ve seen since the turn of the year- however that is not financially viable. Managers do need to “inspire” , unfortunately he really hasn’t and if anything it seems like we’re getting worse the longer he’s here. I don’t see anything in him, tactics, motivating, whatever that makes me believe he’s the right man for the job at league 2 level. When was the last time we played well?! Then you have to look at track records for reassurance it can come good, he has none as this is his first job in charge. The players do on paper look like a decent team so on the balance of judgement and looking at what is financially realistic yes I’d say he has to go.
When was the last time we played well? IMo this group haven't played well very often and that includes under NH, who put this squad together.

IMO this squad was put together to play the Nh way, nit be attacking, solid defensively but not very pleasant on the eye.

This squad have not played well under 3 different managers/coaches. As I've said, at any level the first thing you have to do is work, be organised, play with energy and intent. This group seem unwilling and incapable of doing that. It's been evident all season.

I'm not convinced SC is the answer but I'm even less convinced the majority of these players have what is required in them to challenge. Its more about application than anything. They've proved that under 3 different voices.

Didn't loads of Gills fans donate to a "sign a striker" fund a few years back?
We did indeed however this is different.

This is to get rid not to sign them lol, have to think of their standards of living and keeping them in the manner they seem fit.

And that’s not being a team player

I’m not saying I want all of these out, but I feel we can find upgrades for the following without breaking the bank:

Turner
Morris
Ehmer
Ogie
Walker
Jayden
McKenzie
Nads
ShaunW

Bonne, Malone, Mahoney, JonnyW, Lapslie & Dieng are all high earners who have been inconsistent at best. I HOPE to move a few on, contracts permitting.

We must free up these wages to bring in QUALITY. A striker & 2 mids to change the balance & leadership. An enforcer & creative?

By all means possibly a quality CB leader too.
While I'd kind of disagree with your first 4, I'm surprised you haven't included Hawkins. Imho a waste of space now. Doesn't run for anything and appears to be a pale shadow of who we signed.

Football is a job. It's no different.

Management requires motivational skills.
You can't make players run, chase, make blocks, tackle and generally look interested. If you have to motivate players to do those type of basics they're in the wrong proffesion.

I recall we signed a striker from a supporters fund and he got injured in his first match and didn’t play again?

Probably not feasible, but each and every player in this beastly, disinterested squad should go forth and multiply.

You can't make players run, chase, make blocks, tackle and generally look interested. If you have to motivate players to do those type of basics they're in the wrong proffesion.
Whilst an inspirational manager would be great surely the players should be bloody grateful to earn a good wage playing football. Never any excuse to not give it your all whatever you do. It's called pride.

It's not about forcing them. It's about motivating so they choose to.

Again I agree these people should be doing it for themselves. Sadly the world doesn’t seem to work like that. I’ve been “in a workplace “ for about 25 years. The amount of self motivated people is so weirdly low given it’s pretty fkn obvious why you should be pushing yourself to succeed (family etc). Most, strangely seem to need to be motivated by others hence where management comes in. Crap but true.

I'm beginning to think it comes down to character. A lot of this squad just don't seem to be what I would call Gillingham players - those who might not be technically the best but who would bust a gut and have the confidence to try things on anyway.

These are very skilled players who might be perfectly well suited to places like Charlton or Palace or Millwall or Swindon or wherever else they've come from, where there's a budget big enough to buy enough talent to compensate for lack of character, but that's a luxury we haven't got here. We need our Macdonalds, Byrnes, Fullers, Hessenthalers etc. to make up that gap.

Football may have changed, and both the management and the owners seem very progressive, but sometimes different methods might be more effective at levels below the ones they're accustomed to operating in. They're intelligent people. I expect they will adapt.

Onwards and upwards.
Here here

Whilst an inspirational manager would be great surely the players should be bloody grateful to earn a good wage playing football. Never any excuse to not give it your all whatever you do. It's called pride.
Do you think the majority of workers have pride in their jobs?

And no football isn't different. It's still a job.

I'm not defending the players. I'm just saying they're no different to most people who dislike their job/colleagues etc and a good manager makes the difference (otherwise known as a "leader").

I think that’s how we signed Leo in 1995, and we tried something similar in 2004 (ish)? Not sure we signed anyone that time though.
Signed a player on loan who immediately got injured in his first appearance, can’t remember who