The Official Bradford City Match Thread (Sponsored by Discarded Prophylactics "for all your dead rubber needs") | Page 14 | Vital Football

The Official Bradford City Match Thread (Sponsored by Discarded Prophylactics "for all your dead rubber needs")

I'm not too despondent about this season. We could have done better but that's Gills for you.
We have improved on last season. So baby steps rather than revolution.
There seems to be a lack of confidence throughout the squad and virtually no resilience.
A decent break might work wonders.
With a few canny signings I'm quietly optimistic we can continue to improve and make the playoffs next season.
Calling the season a failure because we haven't made the playoffs this season smacks of entitlement and a Billy big bollocks mentality.
I agree, although saying we have improved is debatable.

Some games - or more often halves - we look like we have improved, then we become sh*t in either the next 45 minutes or the next game.

I really do wonder whether they are sufficiently physically fit but suspect it is mainly in their heads. Even in NH's days I was suggesting that a psychologist session or two may help in the absence of a motivator. To instil some positive thinking.

I do find it interesting that Hess was sacked or left after finishing 8th in League Two in consecutive seasons when at least his side scored a lot of goals and was energetic. Different times.

Maybe swap him and Clem around and Clem can go scouting with all his contacts?

Last edited:
I agree, although saying we have improved is debatable.

Some games - or more often halves - we look like we have improved, then we become sh*t in either the next 45 minutes or the next game.

I really do wonder whether they are sufficiently physically fit but suspect it is mainly in their heads. Even in NH's days I was suggesting that a psychologist session or two may help in the absence of a motivator. To instil some positive thinking.

Not convinced our players are as fit as they could be and possibly should be, especially with the way Clemence has claimed he wants to play going forward.

Pre season is when the core work of fitness is done and its very difficult to improve that during the season as your fitness levels are built/designed on the way youre going to play. That might have something to do with our inability to play for more than 45 minutes. Can't remember the last time I came away from a game thinking we'd worked really hard and been energetic as a team for more than 45 minutes, let alone be effective.

Millwall fans seem less than impressed by the way NH is/has set them up since taking over.

Last edited:
Solent, you are joking I assume. Not meant as anti Harris but anti Millwall.

I'd love it if they went down. I've lived in 'wall territory for the last 45 years (and married into a 'wall family).

Loads of plastic fans who wear their gear to look "ard" and intimidate but never go. Full of swagger. I still have a lump on my head from being hospitalised by some of their scum back in '76, and it wasn't even a Gills match!! (Coventry, FA Cup).

F them.

Obs some are ok, my wife's family one if the pleasant exceptions. Used to go with my father in law and he was a lovely man. Sadly, he was in a small minority.
I was asking as just curious if DC strongly dislikes NH or Wall or both.
I dont dislike either but can understand your feeling towards them from your bad experience in 76 but as you rightly say, not all their supporters are bad and i have met several decent Wall fans over the years.

Where does idea that come from?

You realise in the last few windows we have PAID for Nichols, Hawkins, Hutton, Dieng, Ogie, Andrews and others. And big, big wages to the likes of JW, Masterson, Malone, Mahoney, Bonne. They might not be performing well enough, but they’re definitely not just cheap freebies and rejects.

Actually, I’d look forward to getting a few freebies and rejects. Crawley have done exactly that and are flying.
I have no pat answers, or certainty but you have summed it up well OSK. The club made a genuine attempt at assembling a team to challenge, there was a plan and a decent budget. It didn't work but it's no reason to lose the plot.

We can't afford to engage the numbers and quality of a Stockport, or a Wrexham but we have seen others compete with different strategies. Barrow, Crawley, Morecambe haven't spent big, Mansfield have been patient and built gradually.

I don't know what our strategy will be for next season but it needs to change. I think some room for change during the season would not be a bad thing whether that is loans, or youngsters actually ready to be given a chance

We were asking a while ago, when was the last time anyone came through our youth system to establish themselves in the GIlls side? That was mainly a discussion about strikers and, in that respect, the last one we came up with was James Pinnock and he only made 8 appearances, apparently.

So, if we suddenly stuck 4 or 5 in the team, in whose interest would that be? The players that have been turning out for National League South sides (or lower) and are suddenly expected to up their game on a steep learning curve? or would it just be as a lesson for the players we leave out for the last 3 games? There are not many that have not had a spell on the bench at some time this season (Coleman and Hutton, perhaps?) anyway so I am not sure that is much of a punishment.

3 Games left, and the way we are going we will end up bottom half. probably doesn't matter in the big scheme of things. I mean, 8th or 18th? the outcome is the same. another fucking year in the bottom division, full of northern teams.
Oh well, some consolation after all ;)
(I do agree with most of your post, Rob)

Given how much needs to be spent on players in the summer I would be surprised if SC was still manager in July. If the team starts slow SC would be gone by November anyway and the budget wasted.

Instead i would hire an established manager and trust him to spend the summer transfer budget.

We were asking a while ago, when was the last time anyone came through our youth system to establish themselves in the GIlls side? That was mainly a discussion about strikers and, in that respect, the last one we came up with was James Pinnock and he only made 8 appearances, apparently.

So, if we suddenly stuck 4 or 5 in the team, in whose interest would that be? The players that have been turning out for National League South sides (or lower) and are suddenly expected to up their game on a steep learning curve? or would it just be as a lesson for the players we leave out for the last 3 games? There are not many that have not had a spell on the bench at some time this season (Coleman and Hutton, perhaps?) anyway so I am not sure that is much of a punishment.
Nobody is talking about chucking 4 or 5 into the team. That’s your imagination.
I was talking about a couple of young strikers sitting on the bench rather than a loanee who looks like he’s never seen a football.
The upcoming games mean nothing and you never know.
One of them may amaze us by actually attacking and possibly scoring.
If they don’t get a chance the club will never know.
Games with nothing on them is the time to do it.

Given how much needs to be spent on players in the summer I would be surprised if SC was still manager in July. If the team starts slow SC would be gone by November anyway and the budget wasted.

Instead i would hire an established manager and trust him to spend the summer transfer budget.

If you're now saying the people who thought SC was the right man 6 months ago got it wrong, why would you trust them to a) get their judgement to appoint a new manager b) let them recruit/rebuild a new squad when they've already been part of building one that has been such a failure.

If we are saying that SC was the wrong appointment then that's on BG as he had final say, but KJ, PS and I think AH we all involved in whittling down the candidates to a final 3 (?).

PS has gone, but given our poor recruitment and KJ involvement in appointing SC, if we're to get rid of SC IMO KJ and AH should be out through the door first.

Last edited:
Why? because they're Millwall and they're our most hated rivals, haven't you heard the 'we are the Millwall haters' song. We all desperately want Millwall relegated so that when we get promoted next season we can renew our rivalry.

Add to that my son's mate got bottled coming out of their ground a few years ago, my son and 2 mates with him. He ended up in hospital all night having nearly lost his eye, but they did save it thank goodness leaving him with a nasty scar.
The local police advised them not to press charges as it would cause more trouble. So the evil bast**ds got away to do it again due to the police cowardice!!

If you're now saying the people who thought SC was the right man 6 months ago got it wrong, why would you trust them to a) get their judgement to appoint a new manager b) let them recruit/rebuild a new squad when they've already been part of building one that has been such a failure.

If we are saying that SC was the wrong appointment then that's on BG as he had final say, but KJ, PS and I think AH we all involved in whittling down the candidates to a final 3 (?).

PS has gone, but given our poor recruitment and KJ involvement in appointing SC, if we're to get rid of SC IMO KJ and AH should be out through the door first.
Maybe SC was BG's appointment and not KJ's?

Add to that my son's mate got bottled coming out of their ground a few years ago, my son and 2 mates with him. He ended up in hospital all night having nearly lost his eye, but they did save it thank goodness leaving him with a nasty scar.
The local police advised them not to press charges as it would cause more trouble. So the evil bast**ds got away to do it again due to the police cowardice!!
I`m very surprised at that, Davey. Especially if the offenders were identified. Nevertheless, I can understand your anti-Millwall feelings.

I`m very surprised at that, Davey. Especially if the offenders were identified. Nevertheless, I can understand your anti-Millwall feelings.
Well what happened was they were invited to the next Millwall home game to sit in with the police to scan the crowd. They thought that they spotted the bloke, but the police said to all four of them that they had to be 100% certain that it was the right bloke, if not it wouldn't be worth pressing charges. They weren't all 100% although 2 of them were, so it should have gone ahead but these lads were only 18 years old and not very worldly wise. I was convinced the police intimidated them and couldn't be bothered.

Well what happened was they were invited to the next Millwall home game to sit in with the police to scan the crowd. They thought that they spotted the bloke, but the police said to all four of them that they had to be 100% certain that it was the right bloke, if not it wouldn't be worth pressing charges. They weren't all 100% although 2 of them were, so it should have gone ahead but these lads were only 18 years old and not very worldly wise. I was convinced the police intimidated them and couldn't be bothered.

How ridiculous. The police would never intimidate anyone.

If you don't believe me, ask Lancs.

How ridiculous. The police would never intimidate anyone.

If you don't believe me, ask Lancs.
Give it a rest.

Knowing the lack of resources in the Police and CPS , along with shortage of Court space the decision makes perfect sense, sadly. I can easily picture the person being able to sow sufficient doubt into the minds of a jury. Terrible, I know.

I don't think the public have any idea how close to collapse our legal system is. Frankly, unless they are virtually certain of getting a conviction then it will be NFA (no further action). There isn't the capacity to deal with the cases they'd like to take on.

Stop voting for Austerity will be a good start. Justice costs money.