The Official Bradford City Match Thread (Sponsored by Discarded Prophylactics "for all your dead rubber needs") | Page 10 | Vital Football

The Official Bradford City Match Thread (Sponsored by Discarded Prophylactics "for all your dead rubber needs")

Crawley have very different players to ours & we'll never know if Lindsey would have got a better tune out of ours. What we do know is that 3 different managers/ coaches have overseen them scoring fewer goals than any other team in our division.

I'm not sure about Clemence but I am sure about this squad. Some individually good players, no real balance, zero threat up front & a general shortage of pace coupled with too few willing to take responsibility.

I'd be ok with Clemence being given longer because I have no faith in the experienced league 2 manager with a loud and aggressive presence model. That's long gone. I will lose interest very quickly if there isn't a serious change of playing personnel.

So poor. Classic Gills performance - start slow, come back into it, create a few chances but miss them, concede a poor goal, then look completely toothless in the second half. It just just confirms my view that we need to bin most of these players. Midfield was non existent today. Hutton the best of a bad bunch - and one encouraging moment from Andrews when he turned a defender inside out and flashed a shot past the far post. That was our only moment in the entire second half. And some of the body language as the game went on was not good - the players themselves know how unlikely we are to score.

We are so SLOW - both individually, in our thinking and the speed with which we move the ball. So easy to play against.

Keep the 3 centre backs (though Masterson wasn’t great again), Hutton, Max Clark, Coleman, Andrews. Ditch the rest.

So poor. Classic Gills performance - start slow, come back into it, create a few chances but miss them, concede a poor goal, then look completely toothless in the second half. It just just confirms my view that we need to bin most of these players. Midfield was non existent today. Hutton the best of a bad bunch - and one encouraging moment from Andrews when he turned a defender inside out and flashed a shot past the far post. That was our only moment in the entire second half. And some of the body language as the game went on was not good - the players themselves know how unlikely we are to score.

We are so SLOW - both individually, in our thinking and the speed with which we move the ball. So easy to play against.

Keep the 3 centre backs (though Masterson wasn’t great again), Hutton, Max Clark, Coleman, Andrews. Ditch the rest.

I get the impression in recent weeks that Masterson is already out the door mentally.

So we keep burning the cards with management? After how many appointments do we then acknowledge it might actually be the players?

The players have showed absolutely zilch in desire, application and willingness to do the ugly basics. That's shouldn't be down to managers or coaches, it's part of the game, especially at this level. It's ugly hard graft first. Most of our squad ain't interested in doing it.
I understand your point, I’d love to start again with the playing squad based on what I’ve seen since the turn of the year- however that is not financially viable. Managers do need to “inspire” , unfortunately he really hasn’t and if anything it seems like we’re getting worse the longer he’s here. I don’t see anything in him, tactics, motivating, whatever that makes me believe he’s the right man for the job at league 2 level. When was the last time we played well?! Then you have to look at track records for reassurance it can come good, he has none as this is his first job in charge. The players do on paper look like a decent team so on the balance of judgement and looking at what is financially realistic yes I’d say he has to go.

Time to forget the trials and tribulations of this season and switch attention to Kent CC for our fix of misery and depression for the next four months.
Kent CCC life member & been attending since 1973. Go to all home games. I'm one of the Admin on the Supporters Facebook Group. Will be there tomorrow & Monday. Must be a glutton for punishment!

I’m not saying I want all of these out, but I feel we can find upgrades for the following without breaking the bank:

Turner
Morris
Ehmer
Ogie
Walker
Jayden
McKenzie
Nads
ShaunW

Bonne, Malone, Mahoney, JonnyW, Lapslie & Dieng are all high earners who have been inconsistent at best. I HOPE to move a few on, contracts permitting.

We must free up these wages to bring in QUALITY. A striker & 2 mids to change the balance & leadership. An enforcer & creative?

By all means possibly a quality CB leader too.

I'm beginning to think it comes down to character. A lot of this squad just don't seem to be what I would call Gillingham players - those who might not be technically the best but who would bust a gut and have the confidence to try things on anyway.

These are very skilled players who might be perfectly well suited to places like Charlton or Palace or Millwall or Swindon or wherever else they've come from, where there's a budget big enough to buy enough talent to compensate for lack of character, but that's a luxury we haven't got here. We need our Macdonalds, Byrnes, Fullers, Hessenthalers etc. to make up that gap.

Football may have changed, and both the management and the owners seem very progressive, but sometimes different methods might be more effective at levels below the ones they're accustomed to operating in. They're intelligent people. I expect they will adapt.

Onwards and upwards.

Mahoney the biggest underachiever of all. I certainly don't want to see him here next season.
I agree with this. However, I have a massive fear that he’ll sign for another L2 team and have an absolute field-day against our wet-lettuce team.

Other teams must look at our squad and look forward to playing them. They know they won’t have to defend a lot and they know they won’t have a physical battle to contend with.

Crawley have very different players to ours & we'll never know if Lindsey would have got a better tune out of ours. What we do know is that 3 different managers/ coaches have overseen them scoring fewer goals than any other team in our division.

I'm not sure about Clemence but I am sure about this squad. Some individually good players, no real balance, zero threat up front & a general shortage of pace coupled with too few willing to take responsibility.

I'd be ok with Clemence being given longer because I have no faith in the experienced league 2 manager with a loud and aggressive presence model. That's long gone. I will lose interest very quickly if there isn't a serious change of playing personnel.
Think Lindsey dodged a bullet, he wouldn't have got this lot in the play-offs and would now be getting the blame. He's stayed at Crawley and enhanced his reputation.

I’m not saying I want all of these out, but I feel we can find upgrades for the following without breaking the bank:

Turner
Morris
Ehmer
Ogie
Walker
Jayden
McKenzie
Nads
ShaunW

Bonne, Malone, Mahoney, JonnyW, Lapslie & Dieng are all high earners who have been inconsistent at best. I HOPE to move a few on, contracts permitting.

We must free up these wages to bring in QUALITY. A striker & 2 mids to change the balance & leadership. An enforcer & creative?

By all means possibly a quality CB leader too.
Pretty sure Morris off
Turner jury out maybe No 2
Ehmer great servant but slowing big time
Ogie think will move on
Walker say no more
Clarke just not progressed
Nads done little
S Williams will go
McKenzie jury out
Don’t leave much
Masterson probably off,mate Millwall supporter,reckons maybe heading that way,if Harris stays,although looking bit precarious at moment

Last edited: