The Official Bolton Wanderers Match Thread | Page 8 | Vital Football

The Official Bolton Wanderers Match Thread

Reminded me of the infamous 2 0 England lead v West Germany in the World Cup QF, 1970. Ramsey didn't take off the knackered Charlton iirc and we lost 3 2.

At least after this Saturday's turnaround I managed not to burst into tears.
:-)

Reminded me of the infamous 2 0 England lead v West Germany in the World Cup QF, 1970. Ramsey didn't take off the knackered Charlton iirc and we lost 3 2.

Point of order G58. I thought Ramsay got stick because he DID sub Charlton at 2-1 in the 70th. And Martin Peters a bit later.

Then we went on to lose 3-2.

I’d imagine SE would have got a lot of stick as well if he’d made subs and we drew or lost from 2-0. Chucking away that lead he was always going to come under fire.

Wrong - he did take off Charlton to save him for the semi final, but it backfired.

Point of order G58. I thought Ramsay got stick because he DID sub Charlton at 2-1 in the 70th. And Martin Peters a bit later.

I’d imagine SE would have got a lot of stick as well if he’d made subs and we drew or lost from 2-0. Chucking away that lead he was always going to come under fire.
Correct. I'm going senile. My recollections are about as accurate as Pulis' in his podcast.

The bit about crying was accurate.

Correct. I'm going senile. My recollections are about as accurate as Pulis' in his podcast.

The bit about crying was accurate.

TBF I was a bit young at the time. I’m basing it off commentary about the game over the years. He took Charlton off just after they got 1 back, which does seem a little bizarre after they’d “got back in the game”. No wonder he got stick.

Anyone else read the Ian Evatt comments that we're a team of bullies and smile ear to ear?

Brilliant. It's exactly what we should be - a team that works hard to disrupt the opposition instead of submitting. I'm thrilled and don't see it as a criticism but a perfect endorsement. If I was the Gills social media manager, I'd be plastering #ATeamOfBullies all over my name header today on Twitter etc.

A team that plays with passion and rigour for the shirt. Yes please, more!

Yes you are correct. Two nil up he decided to rest charlton and peters which at the time i thought was a good decision.

Sub stats don’t capture the picture. On Saturday, they were hacking and slicing the ball anywhere like an under 14 second eleven just before the goals came. Never seen anything quite so desperate.

Anyone else read the Ian Evatt comments that we're a team of bullies and smile ear to ear?

Brilliant. It's exactly what we should be - a team that works hard to disrupt the opposition instead of submitting. I'm thrilled and don't see it as a criticism but a perfect endorsement. If I was the Gills social media manager, I'd be plastering #ATeamOfBullies all over my name header today on Twitter etc.

A team that plays with passion and rigour for the shirt. Yes please, more!

Reading his comments, I'm not even sure they were intended as the insult they could at first appear to be. I got the impression there was some grudging respect that we played to our strengths and made life difficult for them.

Ramsay subbed Charlton and Peters, that released Beckenbauer from sweeper to a more advanced role. With their right winger Grabowski on fire they took control of the game, Ball watcher Brian Labone should have taken as much blame as Bonetti for allowing the West Germans to get three goals.

Ramsay subbed Charlton and Peters, that released Beckenbauer from sweeper to a more advanced role. With their right winger Grabowski on fire they took control of the game, Ball watcher Brian Labone should have taken as much blame as Bonetti for allowing the West Germans to get three goals.

Have you been playing FIFA - EA Sports.... :utv: