The Official Bolton Wanderers Match Thread | Vital Football

The Official Bolton Wanderers Match Thread

HerrLjunga

Vital 1st Team Regular
This current situation at our great club has got to me, I'll be honest. Gills has always been an escape, a constant for me, regardless of what is going on in my life and the world at large, Gills have been there for 30+ years to ruin my weekend or Tuesday night with their clodhopping antics, with the occasional moment of euphoria thrown in. I'm fiercely proud to be a Gillingham fan and only a Gillingham fan, but I can feel the spark fading.

I can cope with awful performances, crap results, terrible players, duff managers, low attendances and non existent atmosphere, but the toxic nonsense of the last few weeks have all but ruined it for me. I listened to the Doncaster game out of habit more than anything and Big V's winner ordinarily would have seen me leaping round the room in joy, this time his goal barely registered.

The Scally Out campaign is a microcosm of society these days and that is a sad state of affairs. No longer can either side sensibly see the view points of the other, it's all or nothing. Scally Outer or Scally Lover, Left or Right, In or Out, it's all the same old bollocks and the escapism of going to a game has gone. These people have taken the thing I have loved for longest, shat all over it and taken the enjoyment away.

We play Bolton Wanderers today, my apologies for this thread. Enjoy the game.

Hopefully you will enjoy the game as well Herr.
I get exactly where you are coming from.
The over the top antics of some seem to be having a very detrimental effect on the average fan.
I’d wager that the majority, like me, are not Scally in or Scally out.
I personally couldn’t care less if Scally stayed or went as long as there was a credible alternative.
As we stand today, there isn’t, so we are where we are.
Up the Gills and hopefully an expected away win.

Try to get that spark back Herr. You don’t deserve for twats to take away your game. But it’s what they want (the hard core lot).

A positive result of any kind today will help matters.

UTG!

I have a theory .......... this season just does not seem as exciting because it is coming on the back of massive disruption caused by Covid. Last season everyone pulled in the same direction, this season has an 'after the Lord Mayor's Show' feel to it. I suspect when things get serious, in terms of points on the board, we will all feel back to normal. There are plenty of issues going on in the background - they will seem less important after a few more months.

I have friends while they are in no way active they are in favour of the campaign. It is hard to establish what they really want apart from Scally to leave. That is the only part I do have a jot of sympathy for.Scally does need to look for a serious buyer .However from a business point of view it is terrible timing selling anything right now It is not easy especially something like a loss making football club. So hence the stalemate that could continue for a number of years at least .The fact that it appears to be lead by young and youngish people makes the longevity seem likely to exceed expectations. So I we should stick together a lot of us will lose faith and friends as a result of this.I would like to be first to call for a meeting to be held .it would be a fun event hopefully us exiles could try to attend but the most important people are the regular fans.It is not about investment or Scally or non Scally fighting for and against individually. It is a common goal saving our club .There is no telling what the average fan will face in the next few months. But being ready and able to call on real friends is the order of the day.

Our club needs you .Not Scally but ordinary fans need you and it needs to be soon or there will be no Gillingham fc regardless of who owns it.
Suffolk seems to think this will all disappear in time. I definitely can't agree these protesters will continue and if few if any break any laws then it will get a lot harder before any end is in sight.

Last edited:
. So I do think Mark is right we should stick together .

Sorry Chris but for disclosure I'm done once my current ST runs out. I agree with those who say those who want scally out should stay away. The protesters should not disrupt the enjoyment of those at the game. 100% agree.

The appropriate protest is to stay away.

Fair play to anyone whose invested serious money travelling to the North West today. I hope everyone enjoys it and I hope we win.

Oktoberfest in a local bar for me.

This current situation at our great club has got to me, I'll be honest. Gills has always been an escape, a constant for me, regardless of what is going on in my life and the world at large, Gills have been there for 30+ years to ruin my weekend or Tuesday night with their clodhopping antics, with the occasional moment of euphoria thrown in. I'm fiercely proud to be a Gillingham fan and only a Gillingham fan, but I can feel the spark fading.

I can cope with awful performances, crap results, terrible players, duff managers, low attendances and non existent atmosphere, but the toxic nonsense of the last few weeks have all but ruined it for me. I listened to the Doncaster game out of habit more than anything and Big V's winner ordinarily would have seen me leaping round the room in joy, this time his goal barely registered.

The Scally Out campaign is a microcosm of society these days and that is a sad state of affairs. No longer can either side sensibly see the view points of the other, it's all or nothing. Scally Outer or Scally Lover, Left or Right, In or Out, it's all the same old bollocks and the escapism of going to a game has gone. These people have taken the thing I have loved for longest, shat all over it and taken the enjoyment away.

We play Bolton Wanderers today, my apologies for this thread. Enjoy the game.

I think so many of us feel that way Herr, I love the club but right now i can see very little to make me want to return to Priestfield. It just dont sound alot of fun anymore and on top of that I'd have a 200 mile round trip for the privlage.
Unfortunately though I've been put off going for many reasons and feel more welcome at the non-league game I now attend.
Like you I could not really give a toss who's chairman although I do think the club needs a change as this is proberly as good as it gets with Scally.
However I still think alot of the doom & gloom is because lets face it, Gills are shit at the moment, but if we were doing a Plymouth we'd all feel more positive.
But right now where I am, I just dont get the buzz anymore & unfort our club has done more to put me off going than it has done to encourage me there.

Co-sign the sentiment of the opening post. 100% agree.

Just hoping to duck down and hope this whole thing blows over, but it's increasingly looking like this toxic cloud is going to linger for an uncomfortable amount of time.

Didn't make the trip to Bolton today as I feel a little burned out on it all. Also don't want to have to take my boy to games only to see him frightened by the antics of grown-adults who should know how to behave.

Regardless, UTG today.

Just hoping to duck down and hope this whole thing blows over, but it's increasingly looking like this toxic cloud is going to linger for an uncomfortable amount of time.

Didn't make the trip to Bolton today as I feel a little burned out on it all. Also don't want to have to take my boy to games only to see him frightened by the antics of grown-adults who should know how to behave.

Regardless, UTG today.

Exactly the same for me and my daughter. She's just about caught the Gills bug despite never having seen us win (poor sod), but I'm not exposing her to that sort of behaviour.

Exactly the same for me and my daughter. She's just about caught the Gills bug despite never having seen us win (poor sod), but I'm not exposing her to that sort of behaviour.

I’ve heard a lot of this around the forums. So I personally think it’s great that PS is trying to get those people out of the ground. So long as “innocent protestors” aren’t caught up in it all. Just get rid of the thug element.

Good memory of this fixture from our Championship years. We were 3-1 down & ended up 3-3 but even at 3-1 up Bolton fans didn't sing.
It was a good day out and quite afew Gills up there but such a souless stadium.
BTW Out of interest does anyone know the attendance for the Sunderland match last week? Appears to be hidden again.

Sorry Chris but for disclosure I'm done once my current ST runs out. I agree with those who say those who want scally out should stay away. The protesters should not disrupt the enjoyment of those at the game. 100% agree.

The appropriate protest is to stay away.

Fair play to anyone whose invested serious money travelling to the North West today. I hope everyone enjoys it and I hope we win.

Oktoberfest in a local bar for me.
I have taken your name out of my comment.I hope you enjoy today.i will shortly be going to see a local match .

Good memory of this fixture from our Championship years. We were 3-1 down & ended up 3-3 but even at 3-1 up Bolton fans didn't sing.
It was a good day out and quite afew Gills up there but such a souless stadium.
BTW Out of interest does anyone know the attendance for the Sunderland match last week? Appears to be hidden again.

I am sure I saw it posted at around 6,600. It was on twitter so no chance of me finding it now

Regardless, UTG today.
Good post and welcome f-g.

If there has ever been a time when we’ve needed to string a series of wins together, it is now. Hopefully that’ll distract from some of the negativity.

Bolton forum saying that they have no full backs so will probably play three CBs and wing backs.
Danny Lloyd could have a field day.
Also that they cannot defend set pieces.
Tailor made for Big V and Big J ?