The Official Barrow Match Thread (Sponsored by the Longest Trip of the Season on a Tuesday night "for all your 656 mile round trip needs") | Page 12 | Vital Football

The Official Barrow Match Thread (Sponsored by the Longest Trip of the Season on a Tuesday night "for all your 656 mile round trip needs")

Christ this is a real roller coaster on this forum, win a game and it’s orgasm time, lose a game and it’s run a hot bath and sharpen the razor blades.
That`s the ups and downs for you, Sturdy.

Post game on Tuesday there was a concerted effort by us fans to applaud our guys, both those on the bench, who walked over to us, and those who were leaving the field. I heard no boos, nothing but supportive applause and tone. We knew that we`d just watched another poor performance and witnessed, yet again, a game lost largely due to our "non-presence" up front.

Under the circumstances, it`s understandable that some negative post-game comments will appear on this forum -it`s an appropriate medium and a whole lot better than at the game.

I`ll never boo the Gills and always shout support, even for players i don`t particularly rate or like. If they`re wearing the badge they they get my support 100% whilst on the field and pre and post game at the venue. And, to be fair, those (including me) who have decried our lack of ability up front, have been long-term consistent in that narrative on this forum.

I`m looking forward to our next game and monitoring Sky announcements on EFL games in April as, hopefully, i`ll be at Priestfield for the Barrow game. The longer they take to announce the game the higher the cost of my rail ticket. I`m also hoping that I can arrange tickets for the big Mansfield away game - hoping because, ironically, if GFC is doing well and the game is vital, I probably wont qualify for a ticket as i`m a non s/ticket holder. If we`re not in with a shout then, again ironically, I should be OK.

You`re right about the "roller coaster" nature of our commentary on here but, when it comes down to it, those with post-game "negative" forum comments are probably just as loyal as anyone else.

I`ve cheered up today because there`s been an announcement that Grand Union Trains will commence daily services From Scotland to London Euston and their trains will stop at Preston - Starts 2025, but might be a plus in the constant battle of "Beat the Trains" haha . UTG

3 points out of 6 for two tough away games is not terrible. The points gap is still tight around the play-offs but our poor goal difference and other clubs with games in hand are going to make this a fight right to the end if the season.
We just need to keep in contention and hope Jefferies, Lapsilie and especially Andrews fully recover in time to make an impact.
Another tough on on Saturday with Tranmere having a couple of extra days recovery time, potentially levelling up the two sides chances.

We clearly needed fresh legs Tuesday, particularly in midfield.
To be fair to Clem, he was slightly hamstrung by the injuries to Jeffries and Lapslie.
Had those two been available then I believe it would have made a big difference.
On to Saturday and we really need three points.
Looking forward to it, in a nervous kind of way.
UTG

Agree with you but imagine he rotated players and we still ended up losing, the social media football experts would be foaming at the mouth about changing a winning team. Can't win either way.

I’m not too downbeat after Tuesday. The performances and entertainment have generally improved recently, we’ve started scoring more goals and some players have started to show what they are capable of, such as Johnny Williams.

Easy to say in hindsight but I think Clem did get it wrong. Players were tired from playing a lot of football. Commuting back from Salford wasn’t the best preparation IMO.

Tuesday will be forgotten if we win on Saturday.

However, we’re not good enough for the playoffs even though this league is a poor standard. Even if we got to the playoffs, I wouldn’t fancy us winning.

I’m not too downbeat after Tuesday. The performances and entertainment have generally improved recently, we’ve started scoring more goals and some players have started to show what they are capable of, such as Johnny Williams.

Easy to say in hindsight but I think Clem did get it wrong. Players were tired from playing a lot of football. Commuting back from Salford wasn’t the best preparation IMO.

However, we’re not good enough for the playoffs even though this league is a poor standard. Even if we got to the playoffs, I wouldn’t fancy us winning.
To be fair SC did say that maybe he should have rotated the squad on hindsight but as Billy Bleach stated he would have been slaughtered if he had rotated and the same result came at the end of the game.
He got criticised for taking J Williams and Hawkins off during tea game but I felt the strategy was purely based on this game has gone reduce their minutes in readiness for for Saturday.
Who would want to be a Head Coach

Only just.

Now it is 20 goals from 20 League games under Clem (projected over the season, that would still only put us ahead of FGR), after 5 from 5 under Millen and 9 from 11 under Harris.

Not much difference in our league position either so everything points to this being a long project.

We have been inconsistent all season so I do not see us getting around 20 points from the last 10 games, which many think we need for the play offs.

Last edited:
It was a disappointing result and as has already been said post match criticism is easy
I wasn’t surprised that we started with the same team after the previous two results although I was concerned after listening to the comments on the Salford pitch obviously draining the players
It’s been such an up and down season so no results really come as a surprise it’s just a concern that we are so erratic and that we didn’t really get the striker we all craved in my opinion
Still will be at the Past and Present at 11 tomorrow for pre match beers hoping to beat Tranmere and get back on track cos that’s what us idiots do 😁😁😁