The Official Barrow Match Thread (Sponsored by the Longest Trip of the Season on a Tuesday night "for all your 656 mile round trip needs") | Vital Football

The Official Barrow Match Thread (Sponsored by the Longest Trip of the Season on a Tuesday night "for all your 656 mile round trip needs")

HerrLjunga

Vital 1st Team Regular
The postponement of the original fixture following a soggy pitch on 9th December has resulted in Gills making two huge trips in the space of just fours days. Saturday's result and performance on another North-West mud heap was very, very impressive and built on the back of a solid home win against Disney FC the previous Saturday. Tonight's game possibly carries the most weight of the fixtures mentioned, with Barrow just a point below us in eighth, albeit with two games in hand as a result of several postponements.

Gills managed to name an unchanged side last time out at Salford, and, barring any niggles picked up as a result of playing in the driving hail and mud on Saturday, will hopefully do so again this evening. The forward partnership of Hawks and Nads is slowly beginning to blossom, although a goal for the latter would do him the world of good as we enter the final run-in.

Our opponents, Barrow, have had two weeks without a game, dogged by dodgy pitches at every turn it would seem and are on a run of three successive defeats, including one at home against the mighty Vegan FC. Their last win came over a month ago beating the Franchise on their own (cabbage) patch by a single goal. The Bluebirds top scorer may only have one more goal (6) than our own (5), but they've scored 13 more than us and conceded an identical figure of 39 from their 33 fixtures in the league.

The head to head has us leading by 10 wins to six since the first fixture back in September 1958. We'll clearly be hoping to avoid a repeat of the infamous 1961 fixture where we commanded a fleet of trains, planes and automobiles to help us to Holker Street only to get obliterated 7-0 with the game being abandoned and the result allowed to stand. Our only fixture at their place in the last 50 years was last season's 2-1 defeat in April. Our greatest winning margin came in November 1963, Brian Gibbs with a brace and Gordon Pulley with the other in a 0-3 Gills win as we stormed our way to the Division 4 title by something ludicrous like a billionth of a goal from Carlisle in second. Relive the glory via this helpful match report - CLICK YE

iFollow and beer for me tonight, sequestered away in what used to be my man cave, which has since become a dumping ground for the Juniors' obsolete nonsense. All the kudos to anyone attending tonight (over 160 tickets sold), Brad has promised all of you a drink, which is a touch of class from one of my favourite current humans. Sing loud and proud and let's keep this play-off push going!

Enjoy the game and....COYG!!!

Last edited:
I had a four pack of hobgoblin ruby lined up for the match but somehow managed to drink three of them, so tonight’s fare is one ruby, one proper job then white wine. Plus some milk tray (ones my wife doesn’t like)

The Barrow situation with missing a few games must be an issue for them. Coaches always talk about players not being 'match fit'. Conversley, Gills have now had 2 long haul trips over 4 days which is not ideal.
I'm hoping we get into them early and finish stronger of the two.
Fantastic turn out of 160 Gills who each deserve the pint off Brad for a braving a damp Tuesday night at the end of the world.

The Barrow situation with missing a few games must be an issue for them. Coaches always talk about players not being 'match fit'. Conversley, Gills have now had 2 long haul trips over 4 days which is not ideal.
I'm hoping we get into them early and finish stronger of the two.
Fantastic turn out of 160 Gills who each deserve the pint off Brad for a braving a damp Tuesday night at the end of the world.
Didn't the team stay up there after Saturday?

I had a four pack of hobgoblin ruby lined up for the match but somehow managed to drink three of them, so tonight’s fare is one ruby, one proper job then white wine. Plus some milk tray (ones my wife doesn’t like)
Oh shotty, you’d better not have jinxed it you bellend! Can’t you send Mrs Shotty out for repleshments?

Haha. Wasn’t going to drink tonight but ended up getting 4 pale ales in for the match. Polished two off cooking dinner and Just finishing number 3 now!

Already been on the sauce in my local 'spoons after a tough afternoon playing snooker.

Can hear the Gills fans already. Excellent.

F*CK me, I've just spent 20 mins trying to log on to iFollow. Kept telling me it couldn't establish a secure connection 😳