The Official Barrow Match Thread (Sponsored by the Longest Trip of the Season on a Tuesday night "for all your 656 mile round trip needs") | Page 11 | Vital Football

The Official Barrow Match Thread (Sponsored by the Longest Trip of the Season on a Tuesday night "for all your 656 mile round trip needs")

Comments regarding a need for a player with Acquah`s characteristics have been made consistently - not just when we lose. Neil Harris was also making them before the 23/24 season started. Last night young Acquah was noticeably effective off the ball as well as on it and he rattled our central back three. Put simply, he`s a youngish, big, athletic, physical, strong player who makes a difference in the opposition area and clearly has an ability to score some quality goals as well as assist that process.

Wonder whether SC would rather have a "Stockton" or an "Acquah" over a "Nads/Walker" ?
Possibly, although I suspect that Stockton is on comparatively big money having been in heavy demand after leaving Morecambe on a free. He is also a scouser who has never played any further south than Burton, so we probably would have had about as much chance as with Luke Armstrong.

Acquah is Barrow's second highest scorer but only with an average of a goal every 5 appearances (7 in 35 with 2 assists), only slightly better than Bonne (5 in 29 plus 2 assists) or the Hawk (3 in 16 with 1 assist already).

We have played against Alfie May and Paul Mullin at Priestfield this season and neither has scored or assisted so there are never any guarantees.

It could well be that lack of goals is going to be a contributory factor in failing to reach the play offs/gain promotion. And the recruitment team should then be under the spotlight in that scenario & expect serious scrutiny from the Galinsons.
I agree, but we are still in the race. IF we fail, then, without doubt, the biggest reason will be our poor goal scoring record. I`m sure the Gallinsons are astute enough come to their own conclusions.

Possibly, although I suspect that Stockton is on comparatively big money having been in heavy demand after leaving Morecambe. He is also a scouser who has never played any further south than Burton, so we probably would have had about as much chance as with Luke Armstrong.

Acquah is Barrow's second highest scorer but only with an average of a goal every 5 appearances (7 in 35 with 2 assists), only slightly better than Bonne (5 in 29 plus 2 assists) or the Hawk (3 in 16 with 1 assist already).
Tis true that Acquah hasn`t scored regularly. Though, i was suggesting that the other more physical elements he possesses are what we lack. And here`s a thought - Whilst Stockton`s goal scoring potency might have been affected by geography (and I do accept that can be the case - a "settled", domestically happy player is more likely to be productive) the same could be said of Acquah ! He`s a London boy playing in the far north !

Tis true that Acquah hasn`t scored regularly. Though, i was suggesting that the other more physical elements he possesses are what we lack. And here`s a thought - Whilst Stockton`s goal scoring potency might have been affected by geography (and I do accept that can be the case - a "settled", domestically happy player is more likely to be productive) the same could be said of Acquah ! He`s a London boy playing in the far north !

I agree he’s got the physical attributes we lack and when he moved in the summer I wondered if we’d looked at him (I personally only became aware of him myself when Barrow signed him - hard to believe I know!).

The player I sometimes look at ruefully is Isaac Olaofe - I think it’s widely accepted that we were in for him when he went to Stockport (as well as showing interest the previous summer when he stayed at Millwall).

Geography would certainly have favoured us over Stockport. I wonder if he’d have chosen us if we weren’t adrift at the bottom of the league and potentially playing non-league the following season.

I agree he’s got the physical attributes we lack and when he moved in the summer I wondered if we’d looked at him (I personally only became aware of him myself when Barrow signed him - hard to believe I know!).

The player I sometimes look at ruefully is Isaac Olaofe - I think it’s widely accepted that we were in for him when he went to Stockport (as well as showing interest the previous summer when he stayed at Millwall).

Geography would certainly have favoured us over Stockport. I wonder if he’d have chosen us if we weren’t adrift at the bottom of the league and potentially playing non-league the following season.
Certainly agree about Olaofe, would probably have been ideal for us. I`d say you`re spot on regarding our league standing being a negative factor at the time, too.

More important than all this, did those who went to the game get the free drink?
Nope - largely due to an extra set of road closures on the main A road into Barrow which was simply shut-off at 6pm, with no diversion signed. Ended up driving round peripheral unlit roads until stumbling upon the illuminated floodlights. But a very nice and appreciated gesture by the Gallinsons - top owners.

Acquah realistically is the type of player that would be mentioned in passing but probably passed over because frankly he isn't at the level that we are/were looking at. Just because he scored a wonder goal doesn't change that.

Honesty, quite shocked at that take, especially in your capacity as a self-annointed scout. The only proper and accurate evaluation I, and I daresay most football fans will care about is what a player does on the pitch for their team once you sign him?

Nobody can guarantee goals - that's a nonsense. We need to fill attributes which lead to creating chances. He clearly has those that we lack. If me saying that I think we should have had him on our radar - the radar of a professional football club's designated scouting team, who openly pontificated about the need for a striker in the Summer - is the issue, well...

Again, this proven thing is a false economy. It's an easy comment to make - MaCauley Bonne was proven in many respects but he was absolute garbage for a myriad of reasons. A disastrous signing who left within months. I shudder to think what wage we gave him too...

Look at Ogie, Coleman - both younger unheralded talents who have become two of our most valuable players. Neither were proven.

Acquah's touch - yes, I fully accept it wasn't great. But he scored, was a presence throughout and was pivotal in creating the other goal too. Fundamentally, that's why they won a key game. Yes, his strike was sweet but even you, as a scout, must have seen the way he manhandled Max to create the goal. That was what caught my eye, moreso than the finish. We don't have anyone like that and I think we would desperately benefit from it.

At the end of the day, this club is accountable for the players it signs. They make the choices - with the exception of Hawkins, it has not been good up front for some time.

So Bonne who arrived on a free and was not match fit, but was still an attractive enough prospect to go on to a League One club after scoring about 1 in 5, is garbage?

However, we should have gone instead for a player that has played for Southend, Harlow and Maidenhead, cost an undisclosed fee, and is now scoring about 1 in 5 for the club above us with the worst scoring record?

The truth is that Max should have given him the exact same manhandling treatment that the Hawk gets all the time but I suspect he did not expect Acquah to shoot that early. Nine out of ten times I suspect it would have gone in Row Z.

At 22 Acquah may go on to improve his first touch and consistency but he looks raw and nowhere near the finished article IMO. Hence, why Stockton, Whitfield and Telford are more often than not selected ahead of him.

Last edited:
So Bonne who arrived on a free and was not match fit, but was still an attractive enough prospect to go on to a League One club after scoring about 1 in 5, is garbage?

However, we should have gone instead for a player that has played for Southend, Harlow and Maidenhead, cost an undisclosed fee, and is now scoring about 1 in 5 for the club above us with the worst scoring record?

The truth is that Max should have given him the exact same manhandling treatment that the Hawk gets all the time but I suspect he did not expect Acquah to shoot that early. Nine out of ten times I suspect it would have gone in Row Z.

At 22 Acquah may go on to improve his first touch and consistency but he looks raw and nowhere near the finished article IMO. Hence, why Stockton, Whitfield and Telford are more often than not selected ahead of him.
So they’ve got three established strikers and the lad they took a punt on scores a worldie. I’d give give quite a lot to have that dilemma

We are once again heading towards being the lowest scorers in our own division. This would be for the third season in a row.

Just worked out that the odds are 13,824/1.

Horrendous.

Frankly we could still be playing at Barrow and not look like scoring a goal yet.

Last edited:
We are once again heading towards being the lowest scorers in our own division.

Just worked out that the odds are 13,824/1.

Horrendous.

Frankly we could still be playing at Barrow and not look like scoring a goal yet.

We are too predictable. Stop Jonny Williams from playing and there's hardly any creativity & we're relying on set pieces.

Christ this is a real roller coaster on this forum, win a game and it’s orgasm time, lose a game and it’s run a hot bath and sharpen the razor blades.
Brad & Shannon are on a steep learning curve, none of us know the ins and outs of what has gone on behind the scenes, how much we have spent / invested in this squad. What we all know is our desire to have a team / club that we are proud of and that is heading in the right direction.

We have 30 points to play for, it’s roll the dice and see where we end up, if that’s outside the play offs then so be it then roll on next season and learn from our mistakes until then COYFBB

Honesty, quite shocked at that take, especially in your capacity as a self-annointed scout. The only proper and accurate evaluation I, and I daresay most football fans will care about is what a player does on the pitch for their team once you sign him?
Sorry my opinion is different to yours, not much I can do about that. Not so sure there's a need for you to have added the 'self-annointed' part to that either but I'll let that slide.

I agree to a point, I couldn't normally give a damn how a player plays for another club as long as they perform for us, but you're going about the Acquah situation entirely based on hindsight. Plus I am 100% with you on the idea that players don't have to be names, or I wouldn't champion the NL as often as I do on here. I hate the concept that we should sign players based on who they are rather than what they could achieve. There are players in the non-league circuit I think would improve us as a club, and players that have gone elsewhere that I wish we'd been able to pick up - but Acquah just isn't in that group for me, regardless of last night.

I sat in my office and had plenty 😉
Actually, I feel a bit responsible for the defeat by changing my beer routine.
Mixing hobgoblin ruby and proper job was obviously why the players were lethargic.
Ahem, I direct you to post number 5 in this thread....

Oh shotty, you’d better not have jinxed it you bellend! Can’t you send Mrs Shotty out for repleshments?
Posted at 6:16 yesterday. Plenty of time to realign the planets. :shake:

I agree to a point, I couldn't normally give a damn how a player plays for another club as long as they perform for us, but you're going about the Acquah situation entirely based on hindsight. Plus I am 100% with you on the idea that players don't have to be names, or I wouldn't champion the NL as often as I do on here. I hate the concept that we should sign players based on who they are rather than what they could achieve. There are players in the non-league circuit I think would improve us as a club, and players that have gone elsewhere that I wish we'd been able to pick up - but Acquah just isn't in that group for me, regardless of last night.
Yes, it is about selecting the right one and you would never base that on one look.

Acquah's involvement in the first goal was quite minimal and something similar to what the Hawk does 20 times every game. Holding off the defender and making a short pass backwards.

One of the main criticisms of Nads is that, although he is quick, his close control is poor. Well, to me, Acquah looks the same, only with more power and less pace. How many games would it take some on here to call him a dud like Walker, who is our equivalent that also mostly sits on the bench? He scored on his debut, didn't he? So maybe MK Dons were envious and lamenting not signing him up.

If we want power, we have Andrews coming back soon and we already have Hawkins. Considering there is a limit on numbers for the first team squad, would we put him in the B Team? That wouldn't help our play off push.

Last edited:
I would like someone who could shoot for a start , let alone curl a 20 yarder in the top bin.
Malone did something similar against Sutton and he doesn't even get in the team now.

Also, BG would have got rid of their manager by now. 38% possession, 4 shots on target and 1 corner when they are the home team. Pretty turgid stuff, which is not acceptable even if you win, apparently.;)

We clearly needed fresh legs Tuesday, particularly in midfield.
To be fair to Clem, he was slightly hamstrung by the injuries to Jeffries and Lapslie.
Had those two been available then I believe it would have made a big difference.
On to Saturday and we really need three points.
Looking forward to it, in a nervous kind of way.
UTG