The Official AFC Wimbledon Match Thread (Sponsored by The Closest Away Day "for all your "At Least We'll be Home Early..." needs) | Page 12 | Vital Football

The Official AFC Wimbledon Match Thread (Sponsored by The Closest Away Day "for all your "At Least We'll be Home Early..." needs)

All the talk of play-offs was a fantasy really, as a team we hardly ever looked like a promotion side. Start of the season I had us down to end up 3rd and we couldnt even make the fucking PO's.
Feel for the Gallisons as I'm sure they wer'e expecting better than this,but however people want to dress it up, we have failed this season.
The 5yr plan of reaching the Championship looking way off course unfortunately.
For those still thinking we might sneek into the PO's, Dream on.
Err, we're 2 points off the play-offs, if anyone's dreaming it's you. Wake up and look at the league table. What did you expect tonight after being down to 10 men for so long!

Err, we're 2 points off the play-offs, if anyone's dreaming it's you. Wake up and look at the league table. What did you expect tonight after being down to 10 men for so long!
You really think we’ll make them? I hope we do, but I can’t see it. We’re simply not consistent or clinical enough to win enough of the remaining matches.

Missed the game; just read this thread right through. How depressing. I'm off home for a beer or two. Just remember, tomorrow is another day. I'm not saying any more than that, mind.

Game was over after the red card. The only out ball was a lump up to Hawkins. Once he was sacrificed we had to play a different way with creative attacking passing to feet. We struggled with that. Wimbledon didn't.
Tranmere beat Mansfield so maybe the point against them was a good one. Other draws mean it's now everyone down to mid table with a chance of a play off spot. Most have games in hand and all have better goal differences.
Clemence asked if we were 'a nearly team' a month or so back and on this showing we are still some way off that.
Need to play without fear for the rest of the season and pray Hurtado and Andrews can get fit before it's too late.
A convincing win against Grimsby (who also won tonight) will at least bring back a smile.

I love your optimism DC and only wish I could share it, but can you really say you honestly see us making the play-offs now. Hope I'm wrong but nothing will convince me that this team has it in them and in all honesty we dont deserve to have a crack at the play-offs. And this Saturdays lower crowd than normal would suggest many agree with me unfortunately.

Thats the key point we just arent good enough and havent been all season
When we went down we did it on 40 points. We can say it’s harsh as a goal against Rotherham for most of the match would’ve kept us up, but we went down on 40 fucking points.

This season we’re still clinging on to hope that we’ll reach the play-offs on 65 points or so, relying on everyone else being even more inconsistent than us.

The thing is this season will draw out like today’s game. Giving us false optimism until a final nail in the coffin a game or two before the end. Concede that third goal and do away it. It’s torture.

Quite lucky it wasn’t 4/5 on the night.
The Hawkins header about our only decent chance of the whole match.

They knew Andrews was injured when they signed him - in that case we needed someone else who was fit to play.
They knew Hawkins has got foot condition that isn’t curable so he will struggle to play Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday.
Walker has been a disappointment after a good start at MK.
Hurtado was the wild card, unlucky he got injured like did.
For me it’s been a failure in recruitment for the forwards .
I agree with some of that but the Andrews injury was short term, he then acquired a separate injury playing for the B team. There was a strong element of bad luck considering that and Hurtado.o

We did fail to recruit the power and pace that nearly every poster called for. It certainly looked as if Bonne found us rather than vice versa

I agree that interview was not what we needed to hear. The thing is, is he saying that to protect the players or does he believe it?
I think his only defence is that he has little choice but to pick the same team minus masterson on saturday so he cant publicly throw them under the bus.

As a supporter who made the incredibly easy trip to SW london I want to hear that the performance was unacceptable (again) and wholesale changes are going to be made for next season.

I accept he cant say that publicly.

Or he believes it and then we are in trouble.

Galinson stated Harris was sacked as we wanted a different direction......we wanted goals, exciting football and wins.........0/3 for me. Can Clemence chsnge that, clearly not with this squad. Will he be entrusted to assemble another ? I think not. Lets just hope a lot are out of contract.

Just listened to his post match interview. Talks nonsense and ive reached the conclusion that hes not the man for next season

Just listened to his post match interview. Talks nonsense and ive reached the conclusion that hes not the man for next season.
Listening to the interview I was obviously at a different match last night. If he truly believes what he's said then it's the dictionary definition of deluded.

We did fail to recruit the power and pace that nearly every poster called for. It certainly looked as if Bonne found us rather than vice versa
Probably true but by the time he signed I assume Hawkins was already unfit so we would otherwise have been down to Nichols, Nads and probably Lewis Walker as our striking options until Christmas.

We needed someone at least until we knew Hawkins was fit to return and Bonne's previous record was pretty decent.

No way was he a target man though, so we did need an additional alternative for that. Did recruitment just report that there was no one available that fitted?

Last edited: