The Official AFC Wimbledon Match Thread (Sponsored by The Closest Away Day "for all your "At Least We'll be Home Early..." needs) | Page 11 | Vital Football

The Official AFC Wimbledon Match Thread (Sponsored by The Closest Away Day "for all your "At Least We'll be Home Early..." needs)

You can see how much Clemence rates the strikers at his disposal by the fact that when he took Hawkins off he didn’t put another striker on.
Is it his fault or Jackett’s for getting rid of Bonne and Nichols and signing the injured Andrews, Walker and the sadly crocked Hurtado in their stead?
You're probably right, he could also be trying to make a point

You can see how much Clemence rates the strikers at his disposal by the fact that when he took Hawkins off he didn’t put another striker on.
Is it his fault or Jackett’s for getting rid of Bonne and Nichols and signing the injured Andrews, Walker and the sadly crocked Hurtado in their stead?
Who went up top when Hawkins was subbed? Or did we play with a “false 9” 🤮

Lol I was there too, god awful performance, but I think it may have been 93/94
It was so much worse then but we knew times were desperate and anything less than 100% support represented treason. They were only more likeable because a) We were terrified & b) The players were severely limited/inexperienced & knew it but tried very hard.

This lot have plenty of qualities but as a whole do not provide the manager with enough options to do much more than hold on and wait for opportunities. I don't think a numbskull shouting macho would improve things and I for one would not welcome the prospect.

Squad disciplinary issues haven’t helped either.

We’ve had a guy spout off with a homophobic/racist/misogynistic rant. Two team mates getting in to a scuffle on the pitch. A boy racer smashing in to a wall. I recall Lapslie being criticised for not being available. And there are rumours about Livermore’s conduct.
I was thinking this. Masterson last Tuesday kicks off with his teammate, one week later gets sent off due to a complete lack of discipline. I rate him, but that’s piss poor from him.

Hutton, I’m still giving the benefit of the doubt to after the video, I’m pretty sure it was sarcastic, but really poor taste - however, last week reflects badly on him, too, so he needs to walk the line perfectly now.

As a side note, I have enjoyed listening to Roy Keane a lot recently on the Stick To Football podcast. He often says about the dressings rooms managing themselves. Who out of our players are managing the dressing room? Where’s our Alan Walker, Dave Martin, Mark Harris, Hess, Ashby, Butters, Hope etc type of player. The problem with professional footballers is they’re blessed with the attributes at the time of life when most men are generally bellends, so it needs managing/controlling. Who the F is doing it, because the captain isn’t, the vice captain isn’t, the head-coach isn’t, the director of football isn’t.

Last edited:
I was thinking this. Masterson last Tuesday kicks off with his teammate, one week later gets sent off due to a complete lack of discipline. I rate him, but that’s piss poor from him.

Hutton, I’m still giving the benefit of the doubt to after the video, I’m pretty sure it was sarcastic, but really poor taste - however, last week reflects badly on him, too, she he needs to walk the line perfectly now.

As a side note, I have enjoyed listening to Roy Keane a lot recently on the Stick To Football podcast. He often says about the dressings rooms managing themselves. Who out of our players are managing the dressing room? Where’s our Alan Walker, Dave Martin, Mark Harris, Hess, Ashby, Butters, Hope etc type of player. The problem with professional footballers is they’re blessed with the attributes at the time of life when most men are generally bellends, so it needs managing/controlling. Who the F is doing it, because the captain isn’t, the vice captain isn’t, the head-coach isn’t, the director of football isn’t.

Can you have players (captains) with strong characters now? I don’t think a lot of players could handle it and would go under instead of trying to prove them wrong

Can you have players with strong characters now? I don’t think a lot of players could handle it and would go under instead of trying to prove them wrong

I think so. I watch a lot of EFL games on Sky and it seems every team has a big leader at the back, a physical presence who’s constantly involved. I’m pretty poor with names now, but someone a bit like Aidan Flint (not sure he’s even still playing). I am only guessing based on visual, and I’m (naively?) assuming a big presence on the pitch helps manage the club off it, but we’ve all said for ages our team lacks leadership. Leadership, pace and a forward - we lack all the essentials.

First half was pass pass then lob it to Hawkins when they pressured us. Taking Hawkins off when we were to play a half down to 10 men and expecting pressure would be utterly inept. Hawkins simply has to be injured or struggling.

I’m not knocking the passing it around pre-red but we were forced to kick it direct a lot when their forwards bared down on us. Add to that Ehmer sitting on a card.

Didn't work hard enough, didn't score many and had stopped scoring, has stopped altogether since he left. It's all ifs and buts but had Hurtado & Andrews not been injuries who knows
They knew Andrews was injured when they signed him - in that case we needed someone else who was fit to play.
They knew Hawkins has got foot condition that isn’t curable so he will struggle to play Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday.
Walker has been a disappointment after a good start at MK.
Hurtado was the wild card, unlucky he got injured like did.
For me it’s been a failure in recruitment for the forwards .

Hutton, I’m still giving the benefit of the doubt to after the video, I’m pretty sure it was sarcastic, but really poor taste - however, last week reflects badly on him, too, she he needs to walk the line perfectly now.

😂😂😂

Back in the “good old days” if you behaved like a bellend on the trading floor there was a great chance that you would get filled in, kept everyone in check. It died a death a while back.

Now you have to sit there and thoughtfully talk through why there may be issues in a kind & considered manner

“Now Jonathan, please enlighten me as to why there may have been unreasonable demands (you to do your job, bruv) and folks explaining that they really wanted a better performance without you taking huge offence & being signed off (liven up, son)”

I'm going to sound a little harsh here:

When the appointment was first made, I looked at his background and thought "he looked very comfortable following Bruce around". Then Bruce retired and after 12 years he suddenly wants to become a manager? It feels more like he had no choice.

He's probably a brilliant coach but regardless what Brad calls it, we were hiring a "manager", which is a completely different skillset.

Last edited:
A dismal performance which showcased all our obvious deficiencies. No creativity, no mobility, no pace & crucially no leaders. Never carried an attacking threat.

Must not hide behind the ref's display as inconsistent as he was he did not cost us the game.

Unless Hawkins was injured then that was the single most bizarre tactical substitution in football history. At any level.

Serious questions tonight about Clemence's ability & that of our recruitment team.

Feel this season could now just unravel which perhaps is no bad thing as it serves up the uncomfortable reality check that we've not been good enough.