The Official Accrington Stanley Match Thread (Sponsored by the Milk Marketing Board "for all your "who are they?" needs") | Page 8 | Vital Football

The Official Accrington Stanley Match Thread (Sponsored by the Milk Marketing Board "for all your "who are they?" needs")

I agree they’re given, and was daft for RJ to give the ref the chance to give it. Just considering what the ref let go for 85 mins I was surprised.

Anyway, let’s hear Steve Treacle’s take on it before commenting any further.......
Lol, I think we all know what ST will say. Blatant dive by the Accy player and should have been at least booked for it.
:-)

Well, I'm lucky enough to be back from the game already... one of the few times being a NWBluesFan works in my favour.

Absolutely loved it - credit to NH and the team, they really battled hard today.
I can't lie - it's not pretty. But at this stage of the season and the situation we're in, you can play all the pretty football you like and it won't necessarily be any better.

Massive shout today to Vadaine - blimey, he put a shift in against those three massive centre backs. He was frequently double teamed, and on occasion jumping with 3 reds and he kept going. My MOM, although it's a real close call between him and Chapman who made several excellent saves, worth every bit as much as a goal.

The back 3 were solid - I can't get my head round why Stanley seemed intent on launching it forward first half so much, like us. That Bishop is clearly better than he played today but thought we did a collectively good job on him. Can't believe how much he whined though, my god, the amount of energy he spent squealing at the referee was laughable.

On the referee, I thought he was pretty poor. He seemed intent on letting all the handsy stuff go, which to be fair, he applied quite consistently, but it definitely helped us more than them. They didn't roll up their sleeves, they just complained. Weird mentality really - it was clear he wasn't calling it, but it took them 85 minutes to do much about it.

The goals were scrappy and, if I'm Accrington and I'm being honest with myself, I'm annoyed at my defenders for sure. They hung their young keeper out to dry on Vadaine's header and the Kellman header was also terrible defending.

Can't really complain about their penalty - didn't see it clearly from where I was - but it's never a good thing to see a lanky centre back run 40 yards unchallenged. Radio Lancs were absolutely wetting themselves on the radio on the way back - Coleman and Brett Ormerod both said their last penalty shout was akin to "assault" (honestly, at least 3 times - one said GBH. Talk about hyperbole...:rolleyes:) but they'd been whining all game. Perhaps if they hadn't been gobbing off at the referee for every little thing he might have been more inclined...

A word on Ross Sykes. On the radio on the way back, they were complaining Oliver's "flailing arms" meant he should have been red carded in their challenge together. They also said "he doesn't go down often." so it must have been bad. Well, I was lucky enough to be less than 30 feet or so from that challenge - it was next level drama from the guy. Absolutely nothing other than trying to get Vadaine booked. He was getting some pretty good grief from the fans near me. And then he had two Gills headers go in (both in his area of the pitch) and then got yellow carded in quick succession. Talk about letting the game go to your head. Look in the mirror kid, you cost your team. Nice karma.

And final thought, John Coleman said "you can see from the league table we're better than Gillingham" in an interview where he lost his head a little. Couldn't help but think it was more than a touch condescending. It was a poor game with two quite poor sides in all reality. Stanley aren't Real Madrid. I do love in when these teams get all sanctimonious about our football.

Just keep grinding and winning boys. Let the scoreboard do the talking!
COYG!

Last edited:
Kelman made some interesting comments after the game to Radio Kent - he said the difference with the new management team is that they actually care. Also admitted it had been a difficult season for himself having been sent back to QPR, but that there was stuff that had gone on behind the scenes that nobody knows about.

Kelman made some interesting comments after the game to Radio Kent - he said the difference with the new management team is that they actually care. Also admitted it had been a difficult season for himself having been sent back to QPR, but that there was stuff that had gone on behind the scenes that nobody knows about.

Seeing Neil Harris waving his arms at the end... pump that stuff into my veins.
Managers lead who with passion are worth their weight in gold in my eyes. Such a good appointment.

Quote from the Accrington forum:

Stanley should have had SEVEN penalties today!
Having said that, we were very predictable in our style of play.
Our main channels were down the right wing with Mitch Clarke but he is not an out and out winger and rarely beats the full back. The other channel was predictable long diagonal crosses trying to find Bishop who once again was lucky to finish still wearing a shirt! Chapman admitted to us fans close to the post that the ball did cross the line that he ‘clawed’ out. In the closing minutes of added on time we should have been awarded THREE penalties in a matter of just a few seconds! The most obvious penalty shout though was for the GBH assault on Sykes!
hitting.gif

Cannot comment on the standard of refereeing because there simply wasn’t one there today!

My MOM, although it's a real close call between him and Chapman who made several excellent saves, worth every bit as much as a goal.
I was wondering if Chapman was worth offering a new deal as number one keeper next season. He has certainly done better that I would have hoped for thus far and helped us get into the current position.

Last edited:

Our main channels were down the right wing with Mitch Clarke but he is not an out and out winger and rarely beats the full back. The other channel was predictable long diagonal crosses trying to find Bishop who once again was lucky to finish still wearing a shirt! Chapman admitted to us fans close to the post that the ball did cross the line that he ‘clawed’ out. In the closing minutes of added on time we should have been awarded THREE penalties in a matter of just a few seconds! The most obvious penalty shout though was for the GBH assault on Sykes!
hitting.gif

Cannot comment on the standard of refereeing because there simply wasn’t one there today!

Shame.

hitting.gif

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣