The Official Accrington Stanley Match Thread (Sponsored by the Milk Marketing Board "for all your "who are they?" needs") | Vital Football

The Official Accrington Stanley Match Thread (Sponsored by the Milk Marketing Board "for all your "who are they?" needs")

HerrLjunga

Vital 1st Team Regular
Apologies for the tardiness in posting this, I got hammered last night and was incapable of writing (and probably speaking) a coherent sentence past about 10pm. I blame the beer garden weather...and the beer.

I also apologise for possibly reusing the same match thread title as for the home fixture. I liked it then and I like it now, so it stays.

Anyway, it's match day again and Gills make the long trip North to Lancashire to take on Accrington Stanley. If ever there was a side punching above its weight it's Accy, a beacon of light in a division of fallen giants and incredible wage bills. Good on 'em. But not today.

Stanley currently top the bottom half of the table, while we (whisper it) sit one place and a point above the dotted line. Both sides are in similar form, two wins, a draw and two defeats from the last five games, Accy falling 4-0 at Plymouth while we battled to a 0-0 against Sheffield Wednesday last time out.

While Gills will be concentrating on their own game today, our opponent's record of five red cards this calendar year has me wondering whether the likes of O'Keefe will be even more niggly than usual today. Indeed, Accy's suspect disciplinary record leaves them with a teenage debutant in goal this afternoon. I doubt the lad could have chosen a better opponent to make his bow against given our lacklustre scoring rate this season, but I hope we keep him busy today. Lots of awkward balls in under the bar, crowd him at corners, chase down every back-pass. We need those points.

The Wham Stadium, or Crown Ground as it should properly be known, is a pretty happy hunting ground for us in recent times, having won on our last three visits without conceding. If that's not a positive omen for a Neil Harris side, I don't know what is. We'll ignore the utterly ridiculous 7-4 defeat before that, a result that saw me involuntarily shouting "WHAT THE FUCK?!?!" to the bemusement of my fellow passengers on Menorcan bus.

Enjoy the game today however you're taking it in, safe travels if you're making the long journey. Having been there twice, they are a lovely, friendly bunch and the nearby pub is very welcoming.

I now need to go and clean eight months of mould, rust and other hideousness from the BBQ grill so I don't poison my family this afternoon. Hurrah!

COYG!

Listening to Acrrington pre match commentary. Didn’t realise how solid they are at home. 9 unbeaten by all accounts. Not going to be easy.

Accrington are huge. Got to feel a bit for their keeper ( well I will after the game) though his defence is protecting him well so far