The National league... | Page 19 | Vital Football

The National league...

Is it fair to say it’s basically Div 5 now? Not really “non league” as we’ve always termed it. A lot of the clubs have been in the EFL, crowds are generally decent. And there’s 2 up 2 down every year.

Are most clubs there full time now?
All bar a few now I think - Maidenhead, Wealdstone, Dorking and Oxford City are the only ones that come to mind for this season that are part-time. Two of them make up the bottom two, and the other two are still fighting for their lives. It's a hard slog to compete at that level now!

Maidstone through to the semis in National South. Chatham guaranteed place in Isthmian Premier play offs, but their final position yet to be determined because their league finishes on Saturday.

Four teams left in the NL play-offs:

Barnet v Solihull (Saturday)

Bromley v Altrincham (Sunday)

Winners meet on 5th May to contest a place in L2. (all games on TV).

Any of those would work for me tbh. Alty would be a good day out and is somewhere I know well, Solihull is reasonably local for me, Bromley and Barnet are local for the majority and are almost guaranteed away sellouts.

Any of those would work for me tbh. Alty would be a good day out and is somewhere I know well, Solihull is reasonably local for me, Bromley and Barnet are local for the majority and are almost guaranteed away sellouts.
For the sake of the wallets of the majority, I hope it's Bromley or Barnet. Like you say Solihull isn't too far for some of us but it's a fairly desolate ground with nothing at all around it. Alty I'm alright with but we have plenty of NW representation next season already. Seeing as we've never played at the Hive I'll go for Barnet.

Four teams left in the NL play-offs:

Barnet v Solihull (Saturday)

Bromley v Altrincham (Sunday)

Winners meet on 5th May to contest a place in L2. (all games on TV).
I've got a decent accumulator running with Bromley and Leeds left running. £6 pays £400 if they both go up with a cash out of £78 today. I'm torn between cashing out now or letting Bromley play their home semi and then doing it. Just hoping home advantage and last years experience gives bromley the edge.

Once i've cashed out I'll be hoping Barnet do it. Proper London game......Bromley is in Kent for me.

NL play-offs are always tricky to call. If I had to pick a winner i`d go for Barnet - they have a strong team. If I could choose a winner, i`d go for Altrincham - it`s right nice `round thurrabouts...

Plans that would deliver a new ground for Ebbsfleet United are due to be heard at local authority level next week.

The Kent-on-Line website has images of the proposed new 8,000 seat ground in today`s offering:

New stadium to be ready by 2026, but would involved the Fleet interim ground sharing for at least one season. Wonder who they would approach in that regard? Dartford, Maidstone, Chatham ? Not us, surely ?

Hope the new ground materialises, has to be good for Kent football. Good luck to them.

Edited to add that the £40m seems a bit low ? Has the KoL headline missed a zero ?

Last edited:
Ex Gills...

Ben Reeves released (contract not renewed) by NL Eastleigh

Stuart O`Keefe released (contract not renewed) by NL Aldershot

Joe Martin released (contract not renewed) by NL Ebbsfleet

edited to add JM

Ex Gills...

Ben Reeves released (contract not renewed) by NL Eastleigh

Stuart O`Keefe released (contract not renewed) by NL Aldershot

Joe Martin released (contract not renewed) by NL Ebbsfleet

edited to add JM

Think Brennan Dickenson is leaving Oldham too...

I believe he was on the verge of a big move (to Ipswich?) a year or two after leaving us, then got a terrible injury and never been the same since.

I really liked Brennan - great delivery. I think you are right about his potential big move. His spell at Colchester after leaving us was good and probably had him on bigger clubs radar.