The National league... | Vital Football

The National league...

Brexiteer

Vital Squad Member
By my reckoning there are 10 ex football league clubs now playing in the National league.
If it isn't this should be a wake up call for clubs in league 2 and those heading for league 2!!

I make it 12 - Halifax. Chesterfield, Stockport, Notts County, Dagenham & Redbridge, Wrexham, Grimsby, Yeovil, Torquay, Barnet, Aldershot and Southend.

You could also go down into the National League North (Boston, Darlington, York, Hereford, Chester), plus Maidstone from NL South

Since the automatic two up, two down system was introduced, the number have naturally been increasing.

I go back to the days when just the one team that finished at the bottom of the old Division Four had to "seek re-election" and would often get it, preventing any clubs entering the FL from non league. That really was a closed shop.

At least now teams have a much better opportunity to get back in to the League.

Didn't think Notts County would stay down there for so long, though.

Wouldn`t be surprised to see what is currently the National League`s top tier incorporated into the EFL as EFL L3. That would allow greater movement in promotion relegation and maintain a decent compete level.

I believe that most, if not all, National League top tier is fully professional. Quite a few in NLS and NLN are fully pro also. Already difficult to see much of a gap in quality/ standard between L2 and the NL (national division)

Given that most clubs from L1 and below run on a financial knife-edge, I remain astonished that Regional leagues start at NL North and South.

Clubs would save money on travel. No teams would stay in hotels.

More fans would go to Away games.
(Currently, the number of matches more than 50% full is small.)

It would be good for the environment.:oops:

Have there been any/many clubs that have dropped to the NL but then got back to L2 very quickly? I mean a season or maybe 2?

It seems a lot of ex-league clubs have spent many years down there. Wrexham, Yeovil, Notts C, Grimsby, Aldershot, etc etc.

Can only think of maybe Lincoln went out and back fairly quickly.

Have there been any/many clubs that have dropped to the NL but then got back to L2 very quickly? I mean a season or maybe 2?

It seems a lot of ex-league clubs have spent many years down there. Wrexham, Yeovil, Notts C, Grimsby, Aldershot, etc etc.

Can only think of maybe Lincoln went out and back fairly quickly.

I have a feeling Bristol Rovers & Oxford utd both got back after one season.

I have a feeling Bristol Rovers & Oxford utd both got back after one season.

Yeah, forgot about those.

Just shows you eh? Rovers fans must be fuming, with all the money being thrown at them now, and back down in L2.

Oxford have rebounded very well tho. Decent crowds too despite only having 3 sides….

I think I read five teams in the national leagues have average attendances of 5K plus.

Really is league 3 now and not non league.

Which teams from the National League (premier) will GFC be playing next season ?

These are the top seven (with one game to go) :

1.Wrexham
2.Stockport
3.Solihull
4.Halifax
5.Notts County
6.Grimsby
7. Chesterfield

8. Dagenham (still in with an outside chance - at the expense of Chesterfield/Grimsby)

Team that finishes First gets auto-promotion. Stockport, with two games left to play, are slight favourites.

Then, via a weighted play-off system, one from six is promoted. On form, Wrexham are favourites (if they finish second).

Unless Dagenham have an amazing finish, the probability for GFC is two more long journeys.

From what i`ve seen there is not much difference in standard between the top half of the National League and L2. The likes of Wrexham & Stockport would be strong promotion contenders in L2.

Other Kent interest:

National League South Champions are Maidstone United, who now leap into the National League (Premier) just one "step" from L2 !! Maidstone`s crowd last Saturday was over 4K.

Strong possibility that Maidstone will be joined in the NL by another Kent club - Ebbsfleet United or Dartford !

As it stands, a win for Dartford (v Chippenham) on Thursday would see them face Ebbsfleet for a place in the NLS Final (the NLS play-offs are weighted in the same way as NL)

I watched some of the Wrexham Stockport game last Sunday, despite Wrexham winning it 3-0 in the end they are both very good teams. I find it hard to see it being anything other than those two joining us in league 2 next season (and I reckon they’ll do very very well next season too).

I watched some of the Wrexham Stockport game last Sunday, despite Wrexham winning it 3-0 in the end they are both very good teams. I find it hard to see it being anything other than those two joining us in league 2 next season (and I reckon they’ll do very very well next season too).

Yep, reckon they`re favourites, but the play-offs often churn up surprises.

Since the automatic two up, two down system was introduced, the number have naturally been increasing.

I go back to the days when just the one team that finished at the bottom of the old Division Four had to "seek re-election" and would often get it, preventing any clubs entering the FL from non league. That really was a closed shop.

I think that before they went meritocratic and routinely started letting the riffraff in purely on performance-based criteria, we and Newport were the only two to beat the rap and get re-elected.