The Morgan Rogers Thread | Page 11 | Vital Football

The Morgan Rogers Thread

I'd imagine he's grown up pretty quickly, going from playing the likes of Rotherham to being involved in European ties and starting in wins away to Arsenal.

Unai's made a man of him in no time, and not in a sexual way.

Yep and there were people whining that we’d been rinsed for a championship average player.
And this is where some I don’t think get our youth system and get too obsessed with all our own products making it which doesn’t and never has happened anywhere really apart from one or two generational moments like Fergie’s kids.

Truth is that we are doing exactly what we should be by getting decent players through , cherry picking the odd elite one or two like JJ to stay , selling off those that are just not the level required ( according to Unai and the various club coaches) like AR and Archer and bagging decent PAS compliant money. And then going off picking the best from elsewhere for decent money and that have been developed by others. Tough shit on the other clubs but this is what big clubs or those wanting to be big clubs do and should be doing. There is a pecking order and we are acting like being in the top area of that order by selling those youngsters that in years gone by would have held us lower half of the table or worse with false hopes of coming good and getting others elite young ones in.

Seems to be going to plan imho.

Last edited:
And this is where some I don’t think get our youth system and get too obsessed with all our own products making it which doesn’t and never has happened anywhere really apart from one or two generational moments like Fergie’s kids.

Truth is that we are doing exactly what we should be by getting decent players through , cherry picking the odd one or two like JJ to stay , selling off those that are just not the level like Archer and also going off picking the best from elsewhere that have been developed by others. Tough shit on the other clubs but this is what big clubs or those wanting to be big clubs do and should be doing.
Yeah unless you're a dominant team you're not going to get enough of the best talents in the door. The bigger clubs have been getting better players on a more regular basis than the likes of us. City brought thru Foden and Palmer, Chelsea have produced good players like Guehi who look better than some of the trash they've bought. Not to hype the kid anymore but Mainoo at 18 does look a player.

If we were more successful and better positioned both of the Bellingham lads would have come thru with JJ/AJ.

You want your kids at the most successful place. We probably gain a lot from Jack and JJ coming thru as well as this Unai era. We should produce a few more out of this 5-year spell in the next 5-10 years. Overall I agree you're doing if you can produce a quality player every 2-3 years.

Yeah unless you're a dominant team you're not going to get enough of the best talents in the door. The bigger clubs have been getting better players on a more regular basis than the likes of us. City brought thru Foden and Palmer, Chelsea have produced good players like Guehi who look better than some of the trash they've bought. Not to hype the kid anymore but Mainoo at 18 does look a player.

If we were more successful and better positioned both of the Bellingham lads would have come thru with JJ/AJ.

You want your kids at the most successful place. We probably gain a lot from Jack and JJ coming thru as well as this Unai era. We should produce a few more out of this 5-year spell in the next 5-10 years. Overall I agree you're doing if you can produce a quality player every 2-3 years.
Man City also brought through a certain Morgan Rogers too.

Just saying :rolleyes:

He’s somewhat better than Ramsay in terms of technique and I think his eye for a pass is better as well but Ramsay is a bit quicker, more explosive and is a better finisher. They can definitely both play in the same side.

I think Rogers will be getting an England call up in the next 12-18 months.

He’s somewhat better than Ramsay in terms of technique and I think his eye for a pass is better as well but Ramsay is a bit quicker, more explosive and is a better finisher. They can definitely both play in the same side.

Doubt it if Southgate is still around - why Mason Mount is back and fit

Yep and there were people whining that we’d been rinsed for a championship average player.
You saw posts whining? Maybe I have missed some then because I have not read one whining post.

Some posts were a little confused. But everyone trusted Emery. Literally everyone.

You saw posts whining? Maybe I have missed some then because I have not read one whining post.

Some posts were a little confused. But everyone trusted Emery. Literally everyone.
Actually I thought that @crimsondonkey was correct, however I have just re read the whole thread and we were all complimentary too the lad in varying degrees. Would have bet good money that his purchase got a slagging after only a couple of cameo appearances.

Actually I thought that @crimsondonkey was correct, however I have just re read the whole thread and we were all complimentary too the lad in varying degrees. Would have bet good money that his purchase got a slagging after only a couple of cameo appearances.

I lack the motivation to trawl back and identify the posts, and they were mainly from a handful who bemoaned spending the money after Boro had got him from Citeh for something like £1.5m, citing that he wasn’t pulling up any trees in the championship.

I lack the motivation to trawl back and identify the posts, and they were mainly from a handful who bemoaned spending the money after Boro had got him from Citeh for something like £1.5m, citing that he wasn’t pulling up any trees in the championship.
Think they must have deleted them when they realized he looks half decent.😁

Isn't that just a legitimate and reasonable concern though? Rather than a 'whinge'. Maybe a bit of confusion. I admit, I was thinking what the fuck. But I was also thinking Emery knows what he is doing. The fact that everyone said they back Emery to have made the right call speaks volumes.

What were you calling fans in the 2016 season?

I would say you've got brute force vs. elegance with Rogers and JJ.

Taking nothing away from Rogers because his technique is excellent but he is much more robust. Players bounce off him and some of the challenges would bring JJ down. JJ seems to glide past players like he is water or something, and he ghosts people. He is still strong but you can stop him by fouling him, sometimes fouling Rogers doesn't stop him.

JJ is also much better defensively, I can see JJ/Rogers being highly interchangeable between LM and AM/SS. JJ will move to the space Rogers leaves and vice-versa. Its more of the fluidity Emery is looking for. It will be very exciting to see both in the same XI.

I thought he was one for the future, if at all. He's got his chance this season due to JJ's injury and he's taken it with both hands.

As a layman, I'm not sure what Emery saw in him that he didn't see in Tim, Jaden et al - but that's why he's paid the big bucks because he regularly makes the right calls.
Of course. If you are not yoda or Mr miyagi you don't look twice at this boy.

This is why 99.99% of the fan base trusts him implicitly.