The Morgan Rogers Thread | Page 13 | Vital Football

The Morgan Rogers Thread

Watching him in the flesh on Sunday, he doesn't just look a quality player but he also looks like a 'key' player to me. Without him we would have struggled immensely.
He's replaced something essential and that's deep ball carrying from midfield. We always looked better with JJ in the team, I think we brought in Zaniolo to cover for JJ and not Emi2 because he is closer to that sort of player IMO. And he just hasn't been able to deliver that side of his game.

Rogers gives us JJs running with a touch of the Tielemens about his passing.

I would say they are wide of the mark there. His stats weren´t great at Boro and he wasn´t even a starter for them. Cost them the playoffs my arse. Social media really is the wild west, fishing for clicks.
I think there is a question over whether that is a correct statement too. Based on this article you have to dig into the stats because he had very limited minutes so didn't really feature on any statistical charts until you flip it to per 90 minute stats.

Of course nobody could have predicted this, this is ridiculous that he has come into this team and barely looked out of place. Even Unai himself wouldn't have expected this IMO.

Rogers prefers to create rather than go for goal himself, something that is reflected in his record of six assists and just two goals in the Championship this season. He ranks ninth in the Championship for assists despite starting only half (14 of 28) of Boro’s games, but jumps up to second when looking at assists per 90 (0.42) among players with at least 1,000 minutes to their name.

He is within the Championship’s top 10 players for the season for chances created per 90 (2.6) among the same group of players, while only Leicester’s on-loan Sporting CP winger Abdul Fatawu (1.2) has created more big chances per 90 than him (0.8). Rogers also ranks seventh in the division for expected assists (xA) per 90, with 0.29, and jumps up to third when just looking at open-play expected assists per 90, with the vast majority of his contributions coming in open play (0.28 xA) rather than at dead balls situations.

He likes to move play forward by carrying the ball, too, averaging 10.5 carries – moving with the ball at least five metres – per 90 this season, with 5.4 of those deemed ‘progressive’ – moving with the ball at least five metres towards the opposition’s goal, as well as ranking in the top 20 for both dribbles attempted (4.7) and completed (1.7) per 90. He is yet to marry his ball-carrying with end product, though; he has followed up only seven of his 152 carries all season by creating a chance for a teammate.

He's replaced something essential and that's deep ball carrying from midfield. We always looked better with JJ in the team, I think we brought in Zaniolo to cover for JJ and not Emi2 because he is closer to that sort of player IMO. And he just hasn't been able to deliver that side of his game.

Rogers gives us JJs running with a touch of the Tielemens about his passing.
I see him as delivering everything Zaniolo was brought in for, but hasn't for whatever reason.

Boro paid 1M for him!!!!
They did but he was shite everywhere prior, you can check out comments about him on the Cherries forum. They said he was lightweight and piss poor, offered very little when he was there on loan.

He has only played like 5000 minutes of career football which is probably about the same amount of Tielemens played in one season when Leicester won the FA and got to late-stage knock-out football in Europe.

Its a mad sport.

I doubt many expected to see him show this much quality so early in his time here. It might be that this situation where he's suddenly chucked into massive premier league and European games has brought something extra out of the young man.

What I see us that our recruitment team, Unai, Monchi etc saw this lad who was a star as a youth player but had drifted Somewhat at city and wasn't, according to many anyway, pulling up trees in the championship and saw he had it.

Good on the young man and to all our coaching staff and recruitment people. I'm looking forward to seeing what Unai does with him after a full pre season.

I would describe Rogers as (hopefully) a trouble-free Stan Collymore.
He appears to have everything you could want in a player and I am very excited about what he may become. Also reminds me of Jude Bellingham, think its too late for him to make the euros but could be a good bet for the next world cup if this progress continues.

He was brought into the Villa for specific qualities Unai felt we lacked and he had. Ball carrying and his build and athleticism I would think.

He has fitted in well because Unai was / is able to give him a role his qualities allow him to do. Simple really but it's the analysis before hand that is clever.