The Mighty Aston Villa v Tottenham Hotspur Match Thread | Page 32 | Vital Football

The Mighty Aston Villa v Tottenham Hotspur Match Thread

Feels like we showed them a bit too much respect with the way we lined up today. That said we had some attacking opportunities in the first half that we completely messed up. And then it was just a comedy of errors. It’s still not a sending off for me, but you’re taking a risk going in like that.

We have to bounce back. Again.

It’s not why we lost tho.

The goal didn’t come from inviting pressure. We over committed and they scored on the break. Second goal was a disaster from Konsa and the chefs kiss was McGinn completely losing the head.

We were very comfortable first half. I saw plenty saying we were the better side.

I didn’t agree with the lineup but it’s not why we lost.

But there is no way we should have played 5 at the back against these at home.

Tactical suicide.

After 101 mins of football at home we have 1 shot on target, according to live score, and I can't even remember that single effort.

But there is no way we should have played 5 at the back against these at home.

Tactical suicide.
I blame him for not reacting quicker which is what I’ve seen too much lately. We were fine with 5. We were controlling the game without the ball. We were very comfortable they did nothing to us and we looked more like scoring.

As soon as the goal went in he should have changed it. The game plan was out the window.

Edit: Forest, Luton and now this. The lads don’t have the bottle to see through periods where the tide turns.

We are still 4th and nothing can change the fact that we are having a great season but we need to move on from this piss poor performance and head to Thursday.

Biggest fuck up today was McGinn's straight red, three game ban West Ham, Wolves and Man City.

Bollocks of a day.

I blame him for not reacting quicker which is what I’ve seen too much lately. We were fine with 5. We were controlling the game without the ball. We were very comfortable they did nothing to us and we looked more like scoring.

As soon as the goal went in he should have changed it. The game plan was out the window.

But we hadn't even had a shot on target and he still didn't change things.

That was one of the most toothless performances I can remember from a Villa team. We should have taken the game to them but just sat back and it was inevitable what would happen.

I bet Angie breathed a sigh of relief when he saw us playing 5 at the back at home.

Despite only 31% possession with a back five, I thought our first half plan to play on the break worked. The problem was decision making was wrong when the opportunities came, mainly Watkins way, and Bailey was having one of his less good days. Another day we might have gone in one up on the break.

Goals change games, and the second half speaks for itself, with Luiz and too many others that bit too slow and imprecise, and that killed us.

Step up Tim for the next few games, we can come back from this. We play better when we are least expected to.

We played Cash in the RM role at Burnley away and at other games where we have performed ok. I can’t remember but it may well have been pretty much the same setup that won away at Spurs.

It’s not the set up that cos us that game. It was 0-0 at half time. Spurs didn’t have a shot on goal first half.

It was piss weak mentality and totally capitulating as the game went on. Go a goal down, you regroup and go again. Konsa put pay to that by gifting the 2nd immediately after. Then McGinn has his brain fart and we are done. 4-0 at home though is a shocker.

15 minute implosion. All i can think is that the pressure of trying to hang onto 4th and win the Conference is getting to much. Nothing seemingly worked today. Even McGinn had a rush of blood to the head. I know he can throw a challenge in bit that was reckless. Watkins looked isolated on his own and Diably hardly posed a threat. His confidence is in the bin. Zaniolo for all of his efforts and hard work came on too late and got absorbed by spurs who by then were flying at that point. Head had gone just before the 3rd

Absolute kick in the guts this one but hopefully we will come back from it although not easy when we have just taken a hiding

We played Cash in the RM role at Burnley away and at other games where we have performed ok. I can’t remember but it may well have been pretty much the same setup that won away at Spurs.

It’s not the set up that cos us that game. It was 0-0 at half time. Spurs didn’t have a shot on goal first half.

It was piss weak mentality and totally capitulating as the game went on. Go a goal down, you regroup and go again. Konsa put pay to that by gifting the 2nd immediately after. Then McGinn has his brain fart and we are done. 4-0 at home though is a shocker.

But in those games we didn't play with 5 at the back like we did today plus those games were away from home.

I didn't want the European games to hinder our push for 4th, and was beginning to wish we werent in it, but with our injury ravaged squad, and a collapse in our home form, it might be the only shining light come the end of the season.
Mcginns a massive loss, no way of replacing him in the 3 games he's out.