The Marvelous Nakamba Thread | Page 25 | Vital Football

The Marvelous Nakamba Thread

Back from injury. Will play 45-60 mins for the U23's tonight, but tomorrow comes too soon.

Will be interesting to see if next week he comes straight back in. He was arguably our best player under Gerrard before his injury.

Yes. It will also be a good indication of whether Gerrard rates Douglas or not.

Disagree, he was pretty much as good under Smith. He has always done his job and done it well IMO.

Yep like I said people have suddenly noticed he's better than they thought, just as Dougie is better than some think. It just takes some people longer to realise as they are so transfixed with what they think they are watching ;)

Yep like I said people have suddenly noticed he's better than they thought, just as Dougie is better than some think. It just takes some people longer to realise as they are so transfixed with what they think they are watching ;)
Yes he suddenly became a good player for doing exactly the same things he did under the previous manager LOL

Yes he suddenly became a good player for doing exactly the same things he did under the previous manager LOL

Huge difference IMO. Under Gerrard we've played a far more compact shape that gives Marvelous support in the middle. Under Deano he was a little isolated trying to cover too much ground. Also meant he needed to try longer passes that definitely arent his forte and annoyed the likes of myself when it played us into trouble

I can't be bothered to look back in the thread but always said that we looked better with Marv at the base of midfield and never saw him do much wrong to justify him being bombed out after seemingly playing well under Smith. It is not a new thing under SG.

And we must remember that he got injured during the new manager bounce phase . I wonder how some would feel had he been involved in our overall shoddy form since Xmas. As good as he played before injury I don't think he is that good that he would have prevented the post Xmas slump.

So basically what a lot of you seem to be saying is Nakamba was brilliant under Smith, and yet never got picked. Another failure of a poor manager?

I'm not buying it. He never did enough to nail down a starting spot under Smith, same as Sanson never has under either manager no matter how much some people keep telling me how good Sanson is.

He's a different player under Gerrard, same as Ramsey. Could just be coincidence obviously... Maybe Nakamba needed 2 years to settle... Maybe JJ as a young kid is just showing progression over time...

Or maybe they're both benefiting from playing under one of the premier leagues best ever midfielders.

So basically what a lot of you seem to be saying is Nakamba was brilliant under Smith, and yet never got picked. Another failure of a poor manager?

I'm not buying it. He never did enough to nail down a starting spot under Smith, same as Sanson never has under either manager no matter how much some people keep telling me how good Sanson is.

He's a different player under Gerrard, same as Ramsey. Could just be coincidence obviously... Maybe Nakamba needed 2 years to settle... Maybe JJ as a young kid is just showing progression over time...

Or maybe they're both benefiting from playing under one of the premier leagues best ever midfielders.

Don't think anyone has said the word 'brilliant'.

Nakamba is a pure defensive midfielder. He's good at tackling, interceptions and protecting the defence. He's not a particularly great passer beyond 5 yards and offers nothing going forward.

Smith always liked a more technical player in that holding role though, hence why Hourihane played there in the championship and why Doug played there mostly since promotion. Nakamba was basically Whelans replacement, someone to come on from the bench and shore us up when we were protecting a lead or play against teams where we were likely to be under the cosh.

Gerrards system requires a more defensive player in the role though hence why Nakamba maybe seems better in it. He's not required to do much beyond tackle, intercept and screen the defence. I'm glad he's nearly back as he was playing well before his injury.

Nakamba is a pure defensive midfielder. He's good at tackling, interceptions and protecting the defence. He's not a particularly great passer beyond 5 yards and offers nothing going forward.

Smith always liked a more technical player in that holding role though, hence why Hourihane played there in the championship and why Doug played there mostly since promotion. Nakamba was basically Whelans replacement, someone to come on from the bench and shore us up when we were protecting a lead or play against teams where we were likely to be under the cosh.

Gerrards system requires a more defensive player in the role though hence why Nakamba maybe seems better in it. He's not required to do much beyond tackle, intercept and screen the defence. I'm glad he's nearly back as he was playing well before his injury.
Yep, why fork out 60 million for bun head, we would have to be KP nuts :grinning:

Agreed. Clear as day to me, different systems suit different players

Can this chap return against Spurs? Yea I know it was a new managers bounce etc etc but he really did look decent for those 4 games before getting crocked - shielding our piss poor defence. Bring him in and that will allow Gerrard to shake up the midfield - and let’s face it any of em could be dropped to the bench including Couthino.