The Marvelous Nakamba Thread | Page 26 | Vital Football

The Marvelous Nakamba Thread

I can't be bothered to look back in the thread but always said that we looked better with Marv at the base of midfield and never saw him do much wrong to justify him being bombed out after seemingly playing well under Smith. It is not a new thing under SG.

And we must remember that he got injured during the new manager bounce phase . I wonder how some would feel had he been involved in our overall shoddy form since Xmas. As good as he played before injury I don't think he is that good that he would have prevented the post Xmas slump.
Yes Melon, none of us can foretell the past(?) but Marvellous does,at least, give us a better balance and some cover,not enough l agree,to the back four. We,too often,look lightweight in midfield and maybe Chambers would have given us more balance, short term at least. We have,thankfully, come a long way in a short time,in football terms. Gerrard will,l believe improve our squad over time and with our Carlsberg owners, excellent youth system and a growing fan base necessitating a 50000 plus stadium, an old codger like me is optimistic and looking forward to a bright future (heard that somewhere before).

Could really do with him back. Not just for the no.6 position but because that gives us more options with mixing up the other midfield positions. Ramsey and McGinn have been underperforming but seemingly undroppable for weeks now.

Sanson - Nakamba - Luiz

That might shake things up.

Top performance from him last night considering the length of time he has been out.

Yes another odd decision to leave him on the bench for 3 games then throw him in against Liverpool only to take him off at 60 mins. He was really good last night , obviously he is the wrong sort of African for some but he'll do for me

Yes another odd decision to leave him on the bench for 3 games then throw him in against Liverpool only to take him off at 60 mins. He was really good last night , obviously he is the wrong sort of African for some but he'll do for me

What sort of African is the wrong sort (for some)?

He might vital interceptions and tackles last night. If he could follow them up with an accurate pass every time he’d be a keystone of the midfield. I thought he had a good game but every now and again he milks the cow then kicks the bucket over.

Yes, Marvelous looked great buzzing around putting tackles in and breaking up play, but on 2 occasions I can clearly remember he attempted a simple short pass just outside our box and hit it straight to a Liverpool player. Fortunately both times they fluffed the opportunity, but on another night they'd have put both in the back of the net. He's a decent squad player but dont see him as being the answer to our problems in that position

He might vital interceptions and tackles last night. If he could follow them up with an accurate pass every time he’d be a keystone of the midfield. I thought he had a good game but every now and again he milks the cow then kicks the bucket over.

This is where I’m at, he played a wonderful though ball to the Liverpool player where they nearly scored. He seems to have one dodgy pass per game that results in a good chance for the opposition, which is a shame because he has really progressed (and proven me a bit wrong if I’m honest) about his ability.

I remember a game at Chelsea away a couple of seasons ago where he won me over after thinking he was a bit championship.

Great to see

Considering only a couple of months ago we were desperate for a CDM we now have Nakamba, Iroegbunam and Chambers who are more than capable of playing that role.

Next season I think we will buy one quality CDM to play there permanently but I'd love to see Nakamba stay as the back up option. That would also give us the option of sending young Tim out on loan for the season to gain some valuable first team experience.

Eh?! Explain.

No little short nippy ones who nick the ball are not in vogue apparently they have to be tall and able to head the ball away and kick 7 shades out of the opposition and come from the French league or Brighton

If we get someone built like Kante or someone who is built like Viera, as long as they can fulfil that kind of position.

I think we need to be careful in hanging our hat on that position as the magic bullet that’ll solve our problems. A lot of us here are championing that position as the one that will allow others to play and we may well be right.
However, I’d rather we get a midfielder that doesn’t attack so much as a midfielder who is defensive (semantics I know) because the onus on him being our saviour will be like us all setting him up to fail.

If we get someone built like Kante or someone who is built like Viera, as long as they can fulfil that kind of position.

I think we need to be careful in hanging our hat on that position as the magic bullet that’ll solve our problems. A lot of us here are championing that position as the one that will allow others to play and we may well be right.
However, I’d rather we get a midfielder that doesn’t attack so much as a midfielder who is defensive (semantics I know) because the onus on him being our saviour will be like us all setting him up to fail.
Bang on it's what I said this morning if we had VVD and a striker like Hary Kane we'd forget all about a Defensive Midfielder, I like Marv Dougie and Tim and buying someone else's player isn't going to make that much difference. Certainly not as much as having a VVD at the back or a Kane up front.

Bang on it's what I said this morning if we had VVD and a striker like Hary Kane we'd forget all about a Defensive Midfielder, I like Marv Dougie and Tim and buying someone else's player isn't going to make that much difference. Certainly not as much as having a VVD at the back or a Kane up front.

Dead right. We (fans) love to focus on one player or position as "the problem" when it's usually part of the short blanket problem. If we packed our defence and sat back all game, we wouldn't have the same defensive problems but we'd all be bored.

Thing is with a better defensive midfielder protecting the back 4, they would be under less pressure and probably make fewer mistakes.

Thing is with a better defensive midfielder protecting the back 4, they would be under less pressure and probably make fewer mistakes.

you could say that about any position ie if we had a striker that could hold up the ball or midfielders who didn't give it away all the time. It's become some sort of obsession . Like it was if we could get the wingers tracking back, now we don't have any wingers, so now it's the centre that doesn't work. How about 4 defenders who do their bloody job.
Marv was fine las night as was SJM and Dougie ,