The Marvelous Nakamba Thread | Page 11 | Vital Football

The Marvelous Nakamba Thread

Interesting article. Seems to suggest a few things.

a) Nakamba is over worked
b) We need to defend from the front a little more
c) He's pretty poor once he's won the ball

Not sure I've seen any of that with my own eyes.... i think McGinn and Grealish surely help out defensively and Nakamba looks fairly tidy in possession.

Proof that stats don't mean a thing? Or a genuine worry?

https://statsbomb.com/2019/10/aston...a-a-thankless-job-and-hes-doing-it-admirably/

Classic case of writing an article without watching a single minute of play or being so persuaded by stats that it voids their own opinion.

Stats only ever tell half a story, is it our gameplan to press and defend high up the pitch? Is it every single teams weakness to be exploited.

Stats have their place and they can predict trends but its the old line is true, you can use them to tell any story you want.

[QUOTE="CDX_EIRE, post: 2031382, member: 2920"

Stats have their place and they can predict trends but its the old line is true, you can use them to tell any story you want.[/QUOTE]

Yep so true I think 25% of accidents are caused by drinks drivers, so 75% are caused by sober ones.

So, therefore, it's better to drive over the limit?

I do think stats are overused in football.

Statistics also show that drunk walking is more dangerous than drunk driving for the drunk. Do statisticians like a drink?

I think it's just a matter of time before he is compared to those, I actually think he's better on the ball.
I expect we'll have to do one of the sky favourites to get him noticed, Some media smart arse will no doubt think he spotted how good he is and none of us has even noticed it.
As you know I'm not easily impressed shall we say, but this kid completes a midfield I'd be hard-pressed to want to swap for anything I've seen so far in this league
[QUOTE="CDX_EIRE, post: 2031382, member: 2920"

Stats have their place and they can predict trends but its the old line is true, you can use them to tell any story you want.

Yep so true I think 25% of accidents are caused by drinks drivers, so 75% are caused by sober ones.

So, therefore, it's better to drive over the limit?

I do think stats are overused in football.[/QUOTE]
A Temperance Preacher demonstrated the evils of the demon drink by holding up a glass of water and a glass of whisky and then put a worm in the water and it swam happily and lived, he then put the worm in the whisky and it shrivelled and died. The Preacher then asked the gathered crowd what this meant. Someone shouted back that "if you had worms, then drink plenty of whisky"

I'll get my ?

First thing I notice about a player when I first see them up close at Villa Park is the speed of feet and secondly, their touch Marvelous has both, top footballers have both. Jack has it and SJM almost has it he looks a little more fabricated but it's pretty near.
That's the core of our midfield and I wouldn't swap them for many if any midfielders I've seen this season

It took me 90 mins of his Villa Park debut to recognise this lad is top drawer. My Son who rarely comments on players said Dad this kid is the next £60m midfielder. Against Liverpool, he stood out like a beacon and the ball to Trez which resulted in you know who missing just confirmed he is the all-round defensive midfielder. All of you who know me, know I'm not easily impressed, that's probably a massive understatement but Marvelous is indeed Marvellous

First thing I notice about a player when I first see them up close at Villa Park is the speed of feet and secondly, their touch Marvelous has both, top footballers have both. Jack has it and SJM almost has it he looks a little more fabricated but it's pretty near.
That's the core of our midfield and I wouldn't swap them for many if any midfielders I've seen this season

I’m a sucker for the touch thing too, it’s why I love Luiz, he has a deft touch which would stop an egg from breaking if it was dropped and he was under it. It’s why I don’t rate Lansbury as much as some rave about him because I think he’s inferior to the four very good midfielders we have in this department. I’m not saying he’s a bad player, but Marv, Luiz and jack are a different level.

If you look for touch and speed, what don’t you like about Westwood ?

I’m a sucker for the touch thing too, it’s why I love Luiz, he has a deft touch which would stop an egg from breaking if it was dropped and he was under it. It’s why I don’t rate Lansbury as much as some rave about him because I think he’s inferior to the four very good midfielders we have in this department. I’m not saying he’s a bad player, but Marv, Luiz and jack are a different level.

If you look for touch and speed, what don’t you like about Westwood ?

Westwood is what I call a fabricated player, nothing natural at all.

Years ago when my lad was young I ran boys teams, the number of Dads who thought their son was going to be a footballer was incredible, no pace no touch no chance, the only one who made it played for Lye Town if that is making it, another one is a scout at the noses , he was a decent player broke his leg twice when he was a teenager.
Very few natural players about

Westwood is what I call a fabricated player, nothing natural at all.

Years ago when my lad was young I ran boys teams, the number of Dads who thought their son was going to be a footballer was incredible, no pace no touch no chance, the only one who made it played for Lye Town if that is making it, another one is a scout at the noses , he was a decent player broke his leg twice when he was a teenager.
Very few natural players about

Yep, I remember speaking to a youth scout once trying to find out what they looked for in 7-8 year olds and it was technique. Size, speed and power may come but if they’ve got technique at a young age that’s unteachable.