The Leon Bailey Thread | Page 11 | Vital Football

The Leon Bailey Thread

Think assists are a good stat as well, the rest, as you say, is so open to interpretation.

Key passes I do think are important too - although defining them I agree is difficult. Just imagine Messi playing at Burnley ( I know...).....killer passes on a plate all game, only for Chris Woods to spoon them over the bar. Messi's assist tally drops, but his overall contribution is still right up there.

II've never got my head around 'expected' and what the hell that's supposed to be useful for.
It's quality of chances for goals regardless of finishing. Rated by where in relation to the goal, whether on the player's favoured foot, whether there's defenders nearby to block etc. That way you can rate your team's overall attacking performance but taking your striker's finishing out of the equation. It lets a coach know if he has bigger things to worry about than if his striker turned up wearing clogs today.

Fun fact: Trez was at one point the statistically worst finisher in the PL at one point last season, based on his Expected Goals vs his Actual Goals. Pretty sure that matched up with our lived experience.

All of this stuff is worthwhile in combination with the eyeball test, anyone who has ever worked in data will tell you that.

Where it goes awry is when people misinterpret the metrics or over focus on a particular one or just cherry pick the data etc...

All of this stuff is worthwhile in combination with the eyeball test, anyone who has ever worked in data will tell you that.

Where it goes awry is when people misinterpret the metrics or over focus on a particular one or just cherry pick the data etc...
Sure. Think it was actually on the Vital Villa podcast a scout describing how analytics has changed the game but the confirmatory eyeball test is essential.

Literally any player can and will get their head turned though. Even our boyhood Villa fan ex captain. Don't know why people seem to want to make this guy out to be a suspect character before he's even got to Birmingham let alone played a few games.

Who knows what was said to Jack to turn his head back around but boy did it work - these boy superstars have to man-up and get their heads together to progress and realise their actual potential at the highest level.

Leon likes to party and to flash the bling - no problem with that but he's gonna have to grind it out at this level IMO.

Not a pop at you CDX , just a general ffs why can't we judge a player with our eyes . I had people telling me snake2 wasn't any good because his stats weren't as good as Hourihane about 4 years ago , I kid you not

None taken. As @Platypus say's stats have their uses, they're strong indicators but the eye ball test as he called it is still essential.

I don't know much about Bailey, all I know is about 2 seasons ago United wanted him but he went off the boil. That led to the rise of Sancho and United started to pursue him instead.

You can look at it two ways, one is bad which is maybe he loses his head when theres speculation. Or the slightly better one is he managed to get his head back down and produce good football displays again.

[QUOTE="Bonker, post: 2963974, member: 3059"

Leon likes to party and to flash the bling - no problem with that but he's gonna have to grind it out at this level IMO.[/QUOTE]

Nearly every footballer ever likes to party. I've heard plenty of tales about players from the 70/80s that would put the modern lads to shame. If you've gone from being a street footballer in Kingston Jamaica to playing for the best club in England then you're probably not unaccustomed to hard work.

Leon likes to party and to flash the bling - no problem with that but he's gonna have to grind it out at this level IMO.

Beyond a certain point I've never understood it. Aubamayang comes to mind, going around with his metallic cars. Sir, maybe when you've achieved even half of what Cavani has achieved you can do that. Is he even a top 5 striker in the EPL?

That was something that worried me about Benrahma when we were linked. Looked too flashy, again its like mate you were playing the Championship stop acting like your Ronaldo or a hollywood star. Nobody knows or gives a fuck about you.

At every level people want to feel that way. I remember my mates booking out some cabana in Vegas. Lad you're a quantity surveyor with a misses at home, stop.

I see him a bit like Bert, who came here knowing it was a big step up and he'd have to work. Bert had a bit of a mixed season but there was a lot of good stuff, and now he's had the op I think he'll push on again. Leon's got gifts and I think he's determined to make the most of them.

With Leon, Bert and Bidace all potentially competing on that side of the field we're spoilt for choice.

Wasn't criticism, just not heard anything or seen anything.

Gonna be a few games before we see him unfortunately.