The Jhon Durán Thread | Vital Football

The Jhon Durán Thread

Promising signing - a lot of things can go wrong at just 19 - but even if becomes only a so so prem player we will have had our £15m worth.

He was in the 2020 NextGen Top 60 list. (anyone who plays football manager will be familiar with that).

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...0-of-the-best-young-talents-in-world-football

Aged 16 and already a towering 6ft tall, Jhon Jáder has made a habit of being ahead of schedule so far in his fledgling career. A revelation in youth football after the Medellin-born left footer was converted from winger to striker by the Under-15s coach Wilberth Perea, Durán went on to play for the Colombia Under-17s while still 15, before being promoted to the Under-20s national team that is currently preparing for the South American Youth Championships on home soil in 2021. In 2019, he became the second youngest goalscorer in Colombian top-flight history at the tender age of 15 years and 263 days with a goal after nine minutes. Strong, versatile and with a devilish burst of pace, he emerged from the same famed Envigado academy as James Rodríguez and Juan Fernando Quintero, then aged 11. Nephew to an ex-player who is now a football manager, Durán’s development has since been in good hands with several observers comparing his robust style to that of Romelu Lukaku. “Both are similar players, but for me Durán could develop to be even more complete,” coach Perea explains. “At the age of 15 he’d already broken all the limits. He has this strong character to always try risks – a bit like Tino Asprilla would do.” Carl Worswick

October 2021 update Became the youngest signing in MLS history when Chicago Fire swooped this year, thus stealing a headstart on several European clubs that had been sniffing around the young striker. “One of the best talents in world football is coming to Chicago,” the Fire tweeted upon announcing the deal. “Jhon is a very special and highly rated young talent,” sporting director Georg Heitz said. Unable to officially join the club until his 18th birthday at the start of next year he’s been progressing nicely as tiny Envigado punch above their weight at the top of the Colombian first division.

September 2022 update Recently called up to the first Colombia squad under new manager Nestor Lorenzo and nicely settling in the MLS where he’s picking up regular minutes for Chicago Fire.

Anyone know any Chicago Fire fans ? I can’t comment until another clubs fan gives a glowing review to convince me he is a brilliant signing.

Really hard to get a sense of his ability, he's a pure unit but still looks pretty clunky with the ball. Great strike and good header though. If we follow the Brighton method we'll bring him in, loan him for 12 to 18 months then bring him back and slowly introduce him into the team. Difficult one because on one hand we short of numbers in attack so surely we'll get two more faces but if we don't we might need to give him a go.

On one hand I'd say Archer looks more advanced than this kid but on the other he's had some minutes for Colombia's senior team. His ceiling is probably as high as anyone at the club and likely way way higher than Cameron's.

Its been awhile since we pushed the boat out there with something like this.

I follow their every game, I'm a massive fan of the MLS as you know and I can confirm he is the next Benteke and Carew rolled into one, hope that convinces you mate

Same here, I’m a huge fan of the Chicago football team. Unbelievable how they scored 13 in their last game, Big Jhon must’ve got a couple. Conceding 29 though at home is a bit of a concern.

If we can loan him out (and that's a big if), it would be good to see if we can get him to go to a European league, in particular Portugal which is of a good standard, I'm just not sure if, A) Villa would want to loan him out given the fee, B) if any top league side in Portugal will want to take him.

Last edited: