The January Transfer Window 2023 | Page 102 | Vital Football

The January Transfer Window 2023

We are not an endless pit of money and I would think our wage bill with the likes of Coutinho, Ings, Digne is almost at the level where we are spending more than income. I wouldn’t think it’s about having to sell to fund actual transfer fees but it’s making the cut to the wages to enable further recruitment.

I feel like 15M on an 18/19 year old kid is significant backing, its not the sort of transfer we usually make and rumors are this is someone spotted while at Villareal. Its also significant to back selling a player who was essentially a marquee signing for us, announced like he was the new crown jewel and now we've sold him.

Few if any of Emerys signings at any club would knock your socks off. We have to trust that is Emery, he's had opportunity to spend big sums are Arsenal but he didnt. He's opted to sign David Luiz for less than 10M for example they could have spent more if they wanted.

You think he can achieve PL success on a shoestring though ? (Genuine Question)
A shoestring in the PL is probably what we are doing its far more than Emery has ever spent, we have spent far more than many clubs who are above us including Newcastle

Agree.
I suppose that's why I'm so disappointed. I didn't think he'd come without significant funds promised. But these things do happen in football.
Too early to say in my books. So far we've bought a left back where most people didn't think we would and a young striker who on balance is one for the future rather than the here and now but you never know. It doesn't strike me as particularly parsimonious spending. Emery also has a reputation for finding diamonds in the rough so I'll be less concerned by the headline numbers paid than what happens. Moreno certainly had an impact against Leeds. We are 5th in the form table. Emery has done an incredible job so far but still a mountain to climb to get to a European spot. Maybe really all eyes are on next season as Gerrard has simply left Emery with too much to make up.

well apart from £300+ mill at PSG
£200+ mill at Arsenal &
£100 mill at Seville.
we're supposed to be a rich club in the richest league in the world that wants to be competitive and now we've a good manager it seems we should be grubbing along on a shoestring. links to the bang average and nearly men aren't really showing much ambition - still lets see who rolls up
think folk are happy to be mid table and the odd plucky cup run tbh

This thread reminds me of the summer window - when everyone was saying no way are we done, the deals always happen at the end of the window.
Then we got dendonker and benderakb(on loan).

But if you're always convinced this is a brave new era for villa so be it.
Maybe we will sign more and maybe we won't but if we don't I expect Emery's not that desperate for more then.

Either way what I'm not going to do is shit in my hand and rub it all over my own face in despair because there's a long term plan here.

well apart from £300+ mill at PSG
£200+ mill at Arsenal &
£100 mill at Seville.
we're supposed to be a rich club in the richest league in the world that wants to be competitive and now we've a good manager it seems we should be grubbing along on a shoestring. links to the bang average and nearly men aren't really showing much ambition - still lets see who rolls up
think folk are happy to be mid table and the odd plucky cup run tbh

Have you not noticed what a manager can do, like Howe at Newcastle 3rd in the league, this time last year they were bottom. If they were allowed to spend a billion quid they surely would have done but they have had to build from a lower point than we are at. We've spent more than them in the last 3 seasons.
Unai has had half a dozen games and half a transfer window, not sure what you are expecting

I don't really mind the lack of arrivals in January. I mean what difference is it gonna make at this stage? The difference between 9th and 12th? Big deal. Rather wait till the summer and go big ready for next season.

The sale of Ings and loan of Archer is a concern though. Its left us woefully light up front.

Maybe we will sign more and maybe we won't but if we don't I expect Emery's not that desperate for more then.

Either way what I'm not going to do is shit in my hand and rub it all over my own face in despair because there's a long term plan here.

Is that you Randy ?

Have you not noticed what a manager can do, like Howe at Newcastle 3rd in the league, this time last year they were bottom. If they were allowed to spend a billion quid they surely would have done but they have had to build from a lower point than we are at. We've spent more than them in the last 3 seasons.
Unai has had half a dozen games and half a transfer window, not sure what you are expecting

yep a good manager can get more from the players to a limit obviously.
Howe has done a great job at Newcastle and they'd spent £200+ mill in that time - so they've been backing him. They've spent far more than we have in the last 3 seasons - 140 odd mill vs 250+ odd.
I'd expect the club to back him and to add quality starters - thought it was fairly obvious tbh if we want to progress.

Happy to stand corrected - but I thought Howe spent pretty heavily in the last Jan Window.

Imo without some of those acquisitions they wouldn't be 3rd in the table.

I believe Emery is a good coach - but he can't perform miracles.

yep a good manager can get more from the players to a limit obviously.
Howe has done a great job at Newcastle and they'd spent £200+ mill in that time - so they've been backing him. They've spent far more than we have in the last 3 seasons - 140 odd mill vs 250+ odd.
I'd expect the club to back him and to add quality starters - thought it was fairly obvious tbh if we want to progress.

Have a peek at this thread before the window opened. I think everyone was expecting significant upgrades on the players we have.

Now it suddenly doesn't seem to matter.

Spending a lot of money isn’t the sole guarantee for success. What’s far more important is the right manager, with high class coaches and buying the right players at the right time to suit the style of play they’re trying to implement. We’ve got very good owners who have ploughed in plenty given where we’re currently at but the quality of our recruitment has to get better if we’re going to compete at the top end of the table.
The revolution has started under Unai but it’s going to take a few windows to build his squad. Buying the right players for £60m when we’re mid table isn’t as simple as we’d all like it to be but if we eventually establish ourself in the top six and dare I say at some point have a shout at the top 4 I’ve no doubt the owners will provide the cash as they’ve always done and these kind of signings would be more realistic because potential suitors can see a club in Europe and potential for Champions League/winning trophies. We’re nowhere near that yet but I’d wager Mr Emery wielding his magic to establish us with a few £25, £30m, £35m signings initially let alone £60m. We’re in the best place we’ve been for many years now we’ve finally got a manager with some pedigree. Everything‘s in place to take the next step. Think some need a bit of patience though before questioning the club’s ambition.