The January Transfer Thread | Page 70 | Vital Football

The January Transfer Thread

I think it's very robotic like Gabby was, you can see the cogs turning as the ball comes to him, it's not a natural action. He has got better but he's a long way from a natural footballer.
Tbh I think Watkins touch is awful pretty much most of the time . Don’t even see him having overall better games with it either.
It’s not his game and overall why he is there but boy does it stick out like a sore thumb.

I think we're trying to bring wages down on fringe players.

At the moment we have the likes of Chambers, Olsen, Traore and to a lesser extent Dendonker all earning big money for doing very little. None of them have an potential for improvement.

If you could shift them all on and bring people like Rogers, Nedjlkovic and Valdimarsson in on a fraction of their wages you've still got the squad size for emergencies but you've also got players who could grow into first teamers eventually and the wage bill will be reduced.
It's what we should have been doing in the first place but Gerrard came in and was allowed to "raise the age profile".

Tbh I think Watkins touch is awful pretty much most of the time . Don’t even see him having overall better games with it either.
It’s not his game and overall why he is there but boy does it stick out like a sore thumb.
I was trying to be kind for a change :innocent:

Huh. I thought Watkins' first touch had improved immensely recently.

A second bid for this lad has supposedly been turned down. If Unai is so keen to get him, I’m struggling to understand why Azaz wasn’t used as a lever to help get this across the line.
I think this lends credence to the idea Unai watched a load of Boro vids, this kid stood out and he went to the recruitment team to look at him more.

It seems like we may not have been tracking him at all until we played them. The Azaz deal was likely done and dusted before we had any intention to go in for him.

So spotted by chance is what you're saying as we drew them in the Cup. Seems a possibility but you'd like to think he was on the radar anyway. It's not always as easy as throwing players into a deal as they all have to be done individually

So spotted by chance is what you're saying as we drew them in the Cup. Seems a possibility but you'd like to think he was on the radar anyway. It's not always as easy as throwing players into a deal as they all have to be done individually
To a degree, he must be well known to the club due to him being at WBA, the Grealish links and his high profile at underage. So we knew about him but maybe Unai studying video spurred stronger feelings about his ability to offer something now and not in a year.

Maybe a bit of both. Azaz was out of contract so I agree there too, difficult to use him as a makeweight.

To a degree, he must be well known to the club due to him being at WBA, the Grealish links and his high profile at underage. So we knew about him but maybe Unai studying video spurred stronger feelings about his ability to offer something now and not in a year.

Maybe a bit of both. Azaz was out of contract so I agree there too, difficult to use him as a makeweight.
It's interesting that quite a few Boro fans comments don't rate him as high as Aaron Ramsey

It's interesting that quite a few Boro fans comments don't rate him as high as Aaron Ramsey

Whatever their respective talents it's ironic that according to the powers be it makes more financial sense to sell one of our academy boys for 15m then sign another lad the same age for a similar fee.